Hypex NCore question and answers

guest1632

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2012, 11:04 am »
I can see concerns that this is just another fad. I've had those thoughts myself. But I certainly haven't had any notion that it is being force fed. In fact, I was completely unaware of it until I found the thread here on AC about a month ago.
By all accounts, it is a breakthrough product. Class D holds a lot of promise and the Ncore may just be the amplifier that brings that promise to fruition.
Besides, John, if you are going to be reading about it all the time anyway, you may as well benefit from owning the thing.
I'm expecting a pair to be delivered here tomorrow and frankly, I'm not at all concerned about how good the amps are. I'm already convinced of that from the testimonials and decisions I've observed. My only concern lies in whether or not I care anymore. I'm hoping the NC400 will reignite my interest. Over the last 10 years, I've observed a dizzying glut of product, immense complication from computer audio, etc., much more difficult resale, and escalating prices. Combine that with incredible, irreplaceable speakers and family complications in terms of use of space, and the bloom falls away from the rose.

So, when the offer came in to try these out for a year, I couldn't refuse. Maybe they will spark a resurgence (relapse) in my audio fervor. More later.

Hi all, What is the rated power of these amps?

Ray Bronk

Thirsty

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2012, 04:40 pm »
I've stayed away from Class D based on reading reports of a sterile sounding top end, maybe the ncore modules have resolved this issue, but I have yet to read anything that contradicts this.

Does anyone know what the impedence input is? I need at least 50k but 100k would be even better, also is it possible to install gain controls?

Looks like you could build three of the Class D SDS stereo amps for the cost of one ncore amp.

hum4god

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2012, 04:58 pm »
Hi

i am also on the fence ordering the Ncore .
although most of the wiring seems to be very simple there are still questions for me :

how to wire the power iec and switch ?
what power iec/switch do people use , where to buy?
if somebody could post some photos showing all wiring/connections that would really help not to blow up my speakers .

i was also think about building the amps into wooden enclosures but i was wondering if there would be grounding issues ?

macrojack , if you could let me know how your minimal build goes , that would be much appreciated.

malcolm

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:10 pm »
I've stayed away from Class D based on reading reports of a sterile sounding top end, maybe the ncore modules have resolved this issue, but I have yet to read anything that contradicts this.

Does anyone know what the impedence input is? I need at least 50k but 100k would be even better, also is it possible to install gain controls?

Looks like you could build three of the Class D SDS stereo amps for the cost of one ncore amp.

dm input impedance = 104kohms
cm input impedance = 1.5mohms
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

doug s.

Meicheng

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2012, 08:47 pm »
Can these amp modules use single ended RCA output cables or does one need to use an XLR to RCA type cable?  From the website it looked like only XLR to me.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm »
Can these amp modules use single ended RCA output cables or does one need to use an XLR to RCA type cable?  From the website it looked like only XLR to me.

look at pages 12 & 13; single-ended rca cables can be used.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

doug s.

dwk

« Reply #27 on: 12 Apr 2012, 01:55 pm »
Dang, too bad I haven't been paying attention - I'd have been interested in hearing these while they were in CO, plus I have a pair of Class-D-Audio  SDS amps that might have made for an interesting comparison given that they are something of a known quantity here on AC.

JDUBS

« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:46 pm »
My buddy's ncore modules came in on Monday and we put his amp together on Tuesday.  Its pretty much an all-out assault with switchable balanced / unbalanced inputs and dual outputs - Cardas Patented Binding Posts and Speakons.  The enclosure is the best diy effort I've ever seen with Front Panel Express having done the front, back, and bottom.

He's listening to it now and I hope to get over to his place early next week to do some comparisons to his Mac tube amp.  Should be interesting.

-Jim

mboxler

« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2012, 02:59 pm »
Dang, too bad I haven't been paying attention - I'd have been interested in hearing these while they were in CO, plus I have a pair of Class-D-Audio  SDS amps that might have made for an interesting comparison given that they are something of a known quantity here on AC.

Hey neighbor (I live just north of Golden).  I agree...there will be comparisons between the NC400 and the SDS amps.  According to the NCore document...

"Regardless of whether the remainder of your audio system has balanced connections or not, the very best way to wire the input of the NC400 is to leverage the advantage of its balanced input. You can get almost all of the quality improvement afforded by balanced connections even with an
unbalanced source, provided that you have a balanced input"

My question is this.  For a good comparison, should one wire the SDS amps to balanced inputs (and has anyone wired them the same way as described on page 12 of the document) and use unbalanced to balanced cables, or is this not significant enough for an apples to apples comparision between the two amps?

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for the question, but...

Thanks, Mike

wilsynet

« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2012, 07:34 am »
There are plenty of tube lovers who prefer either a little or perhaps even a lot of tube euphony.  Add to that the very particular and characteristic sound of low power SET amplifiers.

Personal preference and system synergy still trump absolute neutrality, no matter how good the NCore amplifier modules are.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2012, 08:28 am »
I get that. You like the way it sounds over the music. Or rather you like your system's sonic characteristics for all your music.

My own amp is said to be very tubelike, it's a tripath, but even as sweet as this sounds I'd rather go for neutrality and clarity above all. Let the recording through.

And as far as synergy, well, as this amp has the finesse   to apparently match or beat anything, I think this is a situation where you let the amp dictate the synergy and you choose pieces from there until you get it right. If these amps are as good as being reported, and you kind of have to believe it at this point, why would you let any other piece of gear dictate things?

I get it though, there will always be tube amps. The thing I'm saying is, a lot less people are going to want to pay the premium for what is now lesser performance.

People will just use buffers I think, if they want that tube flavor.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:01 am »
I think it's amusing, and very cool that after all these years and thousands of designs, you end up here, with these, at the tippy top.

As the reports continue to come in, it really can't be overstated how big a development this is. It's a revolution. The end of tubes. Even at the highest level of amps, it's the end. All bested by a relatively inexpensive SS, Class D.

I am sad in a way because I was just looking forward to start getting into tubes until I discovered this. It's like I am sitting on the very edge of an event and I missed all that came before. Still, I expect in the coming years that tube amps, much like black and white tv's, will come down dramatically in price, and it might be fun to buy a small one as a nick nack to adorn a shelf.

For me it's neat because you can now just forget about power. In fact these are even bridgeable for an output of 1200 watts @ 4ohms.

Forget about power, instead worry about the source end, and speakers. That's the hobby now, not roll tubes, but roll speakers. To me, that sounds WAY more fun.

Incidentally he (Bruno) has alluded to a world beating dac on the way, as well as speakers... stay tuned.

I'm curious, have you heard this amp yet?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:39 am »
Thank You, Timind.

I think the facilitators job extends beyond censorship to "keeping it real".

And Rclark - if tubes were going away, they would have already. Despite the availability of automatic transmissions that allow you to talk on the phone, put on makeup (or shave) and smoke and eat breakfast, all while you are driving, I (and many others) still prefer a manual shifter. Despite the best efforts of the marketing forces, progress is still optional.

While it could be argued that the NC400 pushes tubes right off the test bench, it will not separate the devotees from their glass. Tube users may become as scarce as pipe smokers, but some of them will never let go.

And don't forget that Harry Pearson may step in and identify some non-existent problem with the Ncore that the rest of the known universe somehow overlooked. These things work like PMS. On Monday nobody ever heard of it and by Wednesday there were 100,000,000 known cases in the U.S. alone.

HT cOz

« Reply #34 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm »
These photos might help with visualization of how one might go about building these amps.  This build used the Hypex soft start but other than that is pretty standard.

MaxCast

« Reply #35 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:41 pm »
These photos might help with visualization of how one might go about building these amps.  This build used the Hypex soft start but other than that is pretty standard.

In these pics, what is supplied and what is the builder to supply?

cab

« Reply #36 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:42 pm »
Why would you use a soft start with a smps?

dwk

« Reply #37 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:15 pm »
I've only been following the Ncore progress at arms-length, so this may be a dumb question, but what is the state of ordering and/or the process? They show 'sold out' at the moment. Is this like the Twisted Pear stuff where you just hang out reloading the page periodically until it shows as in stock, or is there a more formal process - scheduled batches/waiting list/pre-order etc?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:51 pm »
I've only been following the Ncore progress at arms-length, so this may be a dumb question, but what is the state of ordering and/or the process? They show 'sold out' at the moment. Is this like the Twisted Pear stuff where you just hang out reloading the page periodically until it shows as in stock, or is there a more formal process - scheduled batches/waiting list/pre-order etc?
Click more info and read....

So, you place the order in the webshop and wait.  Then suddenly the news shows up in your inbox that the amp(s) have shipped. 

rave959

« Reply #39 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:57 pm »
HT,

Are these your own mono blocks?  Layout looks really nice.   :D

I can't wait to hear these.  Though, I've never assembled amps before, people said that it's pretty easy and everything is on the instruction manual. 

- Christian