Advantages of mono block amplifiers

Falcon

Advantages of mono block amplifiers
« on: 10 Jun 2020, 12:12 am »
What are some of the advantages of going with mono blocks vs standard 2-channel amplifiers? I am guessing the mono block may be able to drive low impedance speakers easier. I would also guess that two mono blocks are easier to move around than one amp with the same power ratings. Anything else that make mono blocks advantageous?

NoDisco

Re: Advantages of mono block amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:41 pm »
They look cooler in your rack. As usual YMMV. In all seriousness, 2 output transformers are nice but one really great one....

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2020, 07:53 pm »
Better signal isolation between channels? Less heat to deal with in AB and Class A amps?

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2020, 08:18 pm »
Each channel having it’s own dedicated power supply, no interference between left and right channels.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2020, 08:27 pm »
 All of the above, plus a larger sound stage and more information brought forth. Is it a HUGE difference, no however an advantage over stereo amp.

charles

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:40 pm »
You can put them directly behind the loudspeakers and end the painful discussions about speaker cables.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm »
You can put them directly behind the loudspeakers and end the painful discussions about speaker cables.
Then you start the discussion about long speaker cables vs. long interconnects. :D
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2020, 03:48 pm by rajacat »

diyman

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2020, 08:21 am »
All of the above, plus a larger sound stage and more information brought forth. Is it a HUGE difference, no however an advantage over stereo amp.

charles

That's impossible if the amount of power per speaker is the same for each speaker whether it comes from a single box or two boxes that are each identical to the stereo amp dual sections.  The speakers don't care and won't sound any different.  There is no additional information brought forth using dual mono amps and there will be no difference in the sound stage.

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2020, 11:29 am »
plus a larger sound stage and more information brought forth.

I disagree if the Stereo amp is well designed and well spec’d it should not have any smaller sound stage.

I went from NuForce 9SE V2 Mono’s to Spectral Stereo amps, the Spectral walked all over the NuForce.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2020, 11:33 am »
Big advantage:  you can buy as many as you need for multichannel applications.

Used mono-blocks starting in my purist days.  One minor advantage is that you can split the distance from preamp to speakers as you like (rajacat's point about long interconnects versus long speaker cables). 

Falcon

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2020, 02:40 am »
Let me add to this question: Some dual channel amps can be run in mono mode with an increase in power. So two of those amps act like mono blocks. Does an actual dedicated mono block have an advantage over the two channel amp run as mono block in that configuration? I get that it may be hard to say unless you know the exact model of the amps, but I'm thinking more in terms of pros and cons of going either way.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:00 am »
Let me add to this question: Some dual channel amps can be run in mono mode with an increase in power. So two of those amps act like mono blocks. Does an actual dedicated mono block have an advantage over the two channel amp run as mono block in that configuration? I get that it may be hard to say unless you know the exact model of the amps, but I'm thinking more in terms of pros and cons of going either way.

Depends on the design.

I have a set of dual channel amps running in mono. I can tell you without a doubt that the monos sound significantly better than a single dual channel amp. I'm not going back to a single amp.

NoDisco

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:39 am »
I have ss and tube monos. Yeah it’s more power etc bc it’s twice as many amps, but right now...I have an integrated in my system that I have zero desire to replace. Match your amplification to your speakers and worry less about topology. I used to think separates were the only way until I took a chance. Hell even my (super) tweeters are in separate boxes from my woofers. It just gets too complicated after awhile.

Integrated also need fewer cables bc they have a preamp built in, so there is that too.

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:38 am »
In terms of sound only and not other factors, it depends on the design: there are makers that will tell you that there is no SQ advantage to the stereo version of their amps, and that the only difference is one box vs 2 and a lower price for the stereo version. Generally, these are some type of dual mono design. I'd say ask the company what they think.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:47 am »
Monoblock amps have advantages for SS amps only (Transistor or Class D). For tube amps are recommended regular Stereo amps with 2 power transformers (Heater Transformer and HV Transformer)
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2020, 08:31 am by FullRangeMan »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2020, 01:17 pm »
added clarification : For a 2 channel amplifier operating in mono bridged mode
Depends on the impedance curve of the loudspeakers. Into high impedance loudspeakers, they can double to power, but into low impedance speakers they suck.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2020, 02:02 pm »
Depends on the impedance curve of the loudspeakers. Into high impedance loudspeakers, they can double to power, but into low impedance speakers they suck.

I was going to post something similar to this earlier, but with a little more explanation.
Your words pretty much sum it up as long as we understand that you are referring to 2 ch amps bridged mono.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:22 pm »
That's impossible if the amount of power per speaker is the same for each speaker whether it comes from a single box or two boxes that are each identical to the stereo amp dual sections.  The speakers don't care and won't sound any different.  There is no additional information brought forth using dual mono amps and there will be no difference in the sound stage.

Wrong. The separate power supplies make the difference.

charles

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:35 pm »
added clarification : For a 2 channel amplifier operating in mono bridged mode

Depends.  In some cases, agree.  However, there are exceptions to this.  Some amps have sufficient engineering where bridging with low(er) impedance speakers is not an issue.   

NoDisco

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2020, 04:10 pm »
It's really whether you want/need one box or two. I couldn't imagine Manley Snappers all being in one chassis without some performance compromise. The pair of Snappers I own actually has fewer transformers than my integrated (6 vs.4). The integrated is a beast and weighs almost as much as the monos combined.