Solid state amp for ProAc D20R

stinky5

Solid state amp for ProAc D20R
« on: 18 May 2020, 12:56 am »
Hey there folks, stuck here in COVID land, and looking for a nice match between my D20R and something solid state.  Preferably AB, not pure class A, I have a PrimaLuna Dialog premium for the fall to winter.  Looking for something not so hot. Probably well worked territory, but honestly I haven’t found a lot of stuff in this area.  Looking at the Belles Aria, but am really interested in what you all have to say.  Max of about $2-3K, and I don’t need super high watts—my house is not huge!  :). Thanks!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Solid state amp for ProAc D20R
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 07:27 am »
Hi, stinky5.

I've got a friend who owns one of the Rs - I can't recall which model it is (D20R, D30RS, or D48R). I'll shoot him an email or text to ask him what he's got. He doesn't play them loudly either. I know he favors SimAudio amps, but I want to say he's got something else as well. I visited him in February, and I really enjoyed listening to his vinyl.

Michael

groovybassist

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2020, 01:01 pm »
I replaced a Belles Aria with an Audia Flight FL3S integrated amp.  To my ears the FL3S is much better sounding.  It’s built like a tank as well.  I use it with Graham Audio Chartwell LS6.  There’s a dealer selling off their remaining Audia Flight inventory on A’gon, including brand new FL3S amps in your price range. Worth checking out IMHO.  Plenty of reviews out there to get a feel for the sound, topology, build, etc.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2020, 01:11 pm »
contact https://www.audiothesis.com/  about the Norma line of integrated amps.  great sounding amps from Italy.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2020, 02:32 am »
+1 on the Audia Flight FL Three S.  It is a great sounding amp.  I bought it from the same dealer in Boston that was the US distributor for some years.  He used Audia Flight amps for years at shows with the Verity speakers he is the US distributor for until Verity came out with their own line of electronics at a much higher price point. Another great choice would be the latest Kinki Studio EX-M1 or MI+ depending on if you need pre-outs and HT Bypass or not.  In the US you buy direct from the factory.  Like the Audia Flight built like a tank just slightly different flavor.  Compared to the Kinki the Audia Flight to my ears is slightly warmer sounding.

stinky5

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2020, 09:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for their replies.  Life got busy last week, but I'm looking forward to checking out all your suggestions!