Pretend you have up to $3000 to buy an integrated SS amp. Which would you buy?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Bryston B60 or Schitt Aegir at $800.

Photon46

I often wish for lighter weight equipment as well. I'm just worried one has to make long term reliability concessions to lighter weight, modern do-everything in a small package integrated amps. At your price point, my personal preferences in sound would have me looking at used Pass Labs or Luxman integrated amps. Power ratings at that price point are in the 100-110 wpc @ 8ohm range, but power ratings don't tell the whole story when it comes to the ability to drive speakers. I have a class A solid state amp rated at 30 wpc that will drive most speakers as well as class D IcePower amps I have rated for much, much higher power. Both Luxman and Pass are built for the long haul and are backed up by companies with excellent reliability and probable long term support.

mhutama

Conrad Johnson CA150 is a really good integrated and it's only around $2000 used.  I use it in my second system and I think the sound is as good as my Pass Labs XA-25 with LTA pre-amp

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I see I wandered off and forgot about this thread.  :oops:

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at available amps. I even came really close to offering to buy a couple used amps, but pulled back before committing to a purchase. I have decided <mostly> that I don't need to buy a SS amp. I've got enough amps. Perhaps, there are better SS amps available than what I own right now, but I'm not eager to add yet another amp (and have to explain myself to my wife!  :nono:).

Thanks to all for offering ideas. If I capitulate and decide to buy a SS amp after all, I'll come back here to announce my purchase.

Michael

deadhead

Don Sachs is working on an integrated........

Wind Chaser

But is it SS?

Phil A

Hegel mentioned earlier in the thread is also something to consider.  I use a Hegel H190 in a secondary system (it can do 192kHz files via a network connection or via coax - its USB is limited - since I have many DSD files I have a small fanless PC running JRiver with a USB to coax converter).  The model above it is a couple of thousand more and can do double DSD (they have models below the H190 listed on their website).  Good luck in the search.

AKLegal

I have to plug the Hegel H360.  They often come up for less than $3K used now since the H390 is out.

mick wolfe

It would have to be used, but I'd look for a Luxman 505 or 507 series integrated.

mresseguie

I actually spent a fair amount of time searching for used Hegel amps - mostly the 360 models. I'd figured the 190 would be underpowered for my needs because the intended room's cubic foot size is huge.

Another reason why I <mostly> gave up this idea is I just cannot seem to get this space to sound reasonably good. Too much sound gets sucked into the adjoining spaces...bass, mid-bass and voices seem to disappear. This is our family room. She who must be obeyed demands that the TV MUST remain in this room. No room treatments are allowed. Any speakers must remain close to the front walls. There is already one ugly subwoofer there, so no swarm is allowed. The furniture MUST remain where it is. Multiple speakers in an HT setup are verboten! Oh, and she just doesn't understand (won't understand??) any of the acoustics explanations I try to give. I've tried explaining how this is the worst room acoustically. I might as well be speaking to a polar bear.

I know. I need room correction software/hardware. 

deadhead

But is it SS?

No, but I'll bet it's really tasty.

Phil A

I actually spent a fair amount of time searching for used Hegel amps - mostly the 360 models. I'd figured the 190 would be underpowered for my needs because the intended room's cubic foot size is huge.

Another reason why I <mostly> gave up this idea is I just cannot seem to get this space to sound reasonably good. Too much sound gets sucked into the adjoining spaces...bass, mid-bass and voices seem to disappear. This is our family room. She who must be obeyed demands that the TV MUST remain in this room. No room treatments are allowed. Any speakers must remain close to the front walls. There is already one ugly subwoofer there, so no swarm is allowed. The furniture MUST remain where it is. Multiple speakers in an HT setup are verboten! Oh, and she just doesn't understand (won't understand??) any of the acoustics explanations I try to give. I've tried explaining how this is the worst room acoustically. I might as well be speaking to a polar bear.

I know. I need room correction software/hardware.

Are GIK Acoustic Art Panels a possibility?  In a few spare rooms, I need artwork anyway.  In a couple of them I used stock images that they have to give it a tropical look (I'm in Florida).  In another I decided to take a couple of photos I took (have a wooded preserve and a lake behind me - one is on otter across the lake and the other is a pileated woodpecker next).  Anyway, it is just a thought.  Perhaps a nice family photo that would help acoustically.  There are also sites like - https://www.stealthacoustics.com/image-art-speakers/

Phil A

I should add that as I get to having the rest of the rooms painted, I'll probably add more GIK art panels.  They have so many images and the prices for a one or two inch thick panel aren't much more than buying a regular picture in a store.  As I noted, I have tropical type stuff in the other two rooms.  If someone was from the Pacific Northwest, they might prefer something like :green:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/209790915/sasquatch-believe-art-panel-lodge-and?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-art_and_collectibles-prints-other&utm_custom1=fabf6154-f977-49c8-8d01-d37d2ca08af2&utm_content=go_1844702583_72372896760_346428919913_pla-329595960451_c__209790915&utm_custom2=1844702583&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oTjsvif6QIVyJ6zCh20iQnnEAQYAyABEgLsq_D_BwE

Cacophonix

Look into anthem integrated. On sale right now for $3600 ... and comes with Anthem Room Correction. Good solid power that is stable to 2 ohms.

mresseguie

No, but I'll bet it's really tasty.

I'll bet it's really tasty, too!  :thumb:

However, I probably won't buy one. Instead, I'll probably buy a second Model 2 in order to get the most up-to-date version. My old Model 2 can happily go into my Taiwan audio system. But these aren't SS, are they?

mresseguie

Our TV room:

Last year, I told my wife I really wanted to buy some acoustic panels. She responded by placing her face in her hands and crying in agony. I kid you not! The discussion went no further.

I know. They're only two-ways with my F12G barely visible in the lower right. This room really needs heftier speakers with 8" or 10" woofers plus the Rythmik F12G. And, yes, I would prefer a couple 15" subs, but this isn't in the realm of possibility. I'm not allowed to destroy 'her' room.

Phil A

I'll add another thought.  I gave a friend an old receiver for his TV room and a small RCA 60W subwoofer.  He had a pair of small front speakers that his wife was OK with.  I gave him a pair of small white indoor/outdoor inexpensive speakers, which without their wall brackets angled up slightly.  I put one each in the back of the room just outside the TV stand (they have a big TV on top of it).  One was aimed towards a wall with the front windor and the other outside the chair where my friend sits towards the dining area to give it some sense of surround.  His wife was OK with it as the speakers were barely noticeable.  They gave some sense of surround.

Mike-48

Last year, I told my wife I really wanted to buy some acoustic panels. She responded by placing her face in her hands and crying in agony. I kid you not! The discussion went no further.

Guilford offers tons of gorgeous fabrics -- far more attractive than the ugly FR701 usually offered as standard. You might be able to entice her with a view of the G. website. They will send swatches, free.

nickd

Michael,
Get off the merry-go-round and buy a gently used Lyngdorf TDAI 2170. When you hear the transparency of NO DAC, you’ll never look back. Built in state of the art DSP room correction and sub crossovers too. Runs cool, looks cool. By the way no analog or digital volume control to mess things up. Uses advanced power supply voltage change for that function. Very advanced piece of gear. Down side no phono stage.

I would also be a +1 on the Devialet. Very similar in state of the art engineering and sound. Down side there is you have to use main stream loudspeakers to take advantage of the excellent eq circuit. I’m a DYI speaker guy.
Plus side is amazing phono stage as an option. 

Just my opinion. I just went integrated a couple of years ago. Chose the Lyngdorf for many of the reasons listed and more. No regrets.

charmerci

Our TV room:

I'm not allowed to destroy 'her' room.
Come on - just say, I want to show you something.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/acoustic-art-panels/
She can't say no.....