BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

ricko01

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #700 on: 26 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm »
Well, it looks like Mrs. Laundrew is now sold on this system after watching this video and she also believes that James is very handsome.

:D

Be well…   

Might I suggest that your next upgrade purchase  be either a new set of eye glasses for Mrs. Laundrew  or if she doesnt wear them now... her 1st set of eye glasses  :D

Peter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #701 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:45 am »
Sent: March-03-11 4:14 AM
To: jamestanner@bryston.ca
Subject: RE: BDP-1

Hi James

Thanks for your guidance. I have had the pleasure of auditioning the BDP1 at my home and using the DAC on my B100. I must admit that the audio improvement (on those 8 x 96kHz/24bit sample tracks) is certainly noticeable.

I have placed an order for a unit.

I have a question on the BDP1, and you are probably the most qualified to give me accurate answers.

1. If I dont order the remote, how would I alternatively remotely control the BDP1, through the network options / laptop / Ipod??

Kind regards
Kishan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #702 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:00 pm »
From a very hi-end speaker manufacturer:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: March-03-11 4:06 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: AW: AW: bryston

Hi James,

I received the Bryston gear for our demo room and connected it. Wo do have our reference amps and speakers there right now, a decent 80 K€ chain which is very revealing and just does what one feeds it with. Playing HD tracks via the BDA/BDP combo is nothing but unbelievable real. There is almost no "digital" signature in it, very very close to a really good (and mostly in that case super expensive) vinyl setup, not to speak about the comfort.

There is no CD-player in this world I know of (and most of our clients do have CD reproduction equipmentup up to 120 grand, I mean really expensive and good stuff) that comes close to well recorded high resolution files reproduced by the BDA/BDP. I will discover it furthermore and will play also with other DAC's but I need to give the BDA-DAC a 100% recomendation, especially for its price.

For me it is a wonderful alternative to demonstrate my clients/dealers/importers this new music-on-harddisk-technology. And on a personal note - it is almost a miracle of one sees it in relation to the price.

Great job, compliments to your designer team and thank you for your nice and professional support!

with best regards from Germany,

Jörn Janczak
CEO
TIDAL Audio GmbH

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #703 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm »

"...There is no CD-player in this world I know of (and most of our clients do have CD reproduction equipmentup up to 120 grand, I mean really expensive and good stuff) that comes close to well recorded high resolution files reproduced by the BDA/BDP..."

Perhaps a little exaggeration going on here  :scratch:

Be well...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #704 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm »

Be well...

NOPE :D

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #705 on: 3 Mar 2011, 12:51 pm »
NOPE :D

james

For arguments sake, a well recorded SACD is “not close” to a well recorded high resolution files played from the BDA/BDP?  Your suggesting that the difference in audio quality is this extreme or is our friend basing his results on low quality, compressed compact disks - I am somewhat skeptical and also very curious with respect to this. Perhaps an audition is on the horizon.

Be well...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #706 on: 3 Mar 2011, 01:47 pm »
Hi James

I can relate 100% to Jörn Janczak's views on the BDP1/BDA1 combo....This is really the best I've heard.

Once I have my own unit hooked up, and have settled into listening to 96kHz/24 bit audio, I would want to do a professional writeup on the overall performance of the unit, with specific reference to the digital technology, the BDP1's full potential, given its networking ability....I willl keep you posted.....perhaps you may want to use this on the Bryston website after you have perused it....

I have been searching the internet for views and reviews on the BDP1 and could not find much .....I found a picture of you and a brief review on the BDP1 on You Tube...see attached....but this was really an extract from the PDF file on the BDP1 from your website.....which I have read 20 times already.....I believe that the world of audiophiles need an objective and comprehensive review, independent of Bryston, on the sheer sonic excellence of such a fine piece of audio engineering.

Actually it goes beyond engineering, its lateral thinking out of the "CD" box, well done to you and your team!!

Kind regards
Kishan

Napalm

« Reply #707 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:17 pm »

Be well...

Nope, if you're reading it well it says that 24/96 played through competent equipment is better than 16/44.1 played through equally competent equipment. No surprise here.

Only problem is that most of the music you may want to buy comes in 16/44.1 only. Where "most" means >99%.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #708 on: 3 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm »
SACD = Sucker's Audio CD

werd

« Reply #709 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:30 pm »
SACD = Sucker's Audio CD

Hey Nap

what are you using for a front end?

Napalm

« Reply #710 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:41 pm »
Hey Nap

what are you using for a front end?

A Sucker's Audio CD player.

Fortunately the Regular Audio CD player part still works.

This is pretty much like with Sucker's Audiophile Cables. You'll find out you were a sucker only after expensively sucking.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #711 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:43 pm »
A Sucker's Audio CD player.

Fortunately the Regular Audio CD player part still works.

This is pretty much like with Sucker's Audiophile Cables. You'll find out you were a sucker only after expensively sucking.

Nap.

What brand are you using? Be specific...

Napalm

Napalm

« Reply #714 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
You are lucky i like Pioneer  :green:

I am lucky you couldn't find any bad review  :green:

Alpha10

« Reply #715 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:12 pm »

I would recommend the AES EBU if you have both the BDA-1 DAC and the BDP-1 digital player. 

Both the BNC and the AES connections are transformer coupled to optimize impedance matching (digital signals operate at very high frequencies so impedance matching is important to prevent signal reflection issues) so use a 75 ohm BCN cable and 110 ohm AES EBU cable.

james

James, quick follow up question if you do not mind, as I am about to order some cables, I have often heard that with some of these digital interconnects such as the AES-EBU that you should not use a very short lead and that 2m is recommended even for a short distance? I will have my BDP and BDA on top of each other so should I order a 0.25m, 1m or 2m version? If it makes any difference?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #716 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:51 pm »
James, quick follow up question if you do not mind, as I am about to order some cables, I have often heard that with some of these digital interconnects such as the AES-EBU that you should not use a very short lead and that 2m is recommended even for a short distance? I will have my BDP and BDA on top of each other so should I order a 0.25m, 1m or 2m version? If it makes any difference?

Cheers

Hi Alpha10,

I have not used any cable longer than a meter so far but I am hard pressed to hear any difference between the 6 inch AES lead I have and the 1 meter.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #717 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:54 pm »
Hi Alpha10,

I have not used any cable longer than a meter so far but I am hard pressed to hear any difference between the 6 inch AES lead I have and the 1 meter.

james

Excellent, thank you very much, I will order a short one, keeps everything tidy.

Cheers

Vipers

« Reply #718 on: 8 Mar 2011, 07:36 pm »
Hi James,

Not sure if you've seen the review of the BDA/BDP combo in the UK's Hi Fi news magazine this month? I only had a quick flick, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow, but they gave it 81% for sound quality which is all they score, this is an excellent score as they are notoriously tough with their marks. I'll give some more feedback tomorrow when I've read the review.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #719 on: 8 Mar 2011, 08:02 pm »
Hi James,

Not sure if you've seen the review of the BDA/BDP combo in the UK's Hi Fi news magazine this month? I only had a quick flick, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow, but they gave it 81% for sound quality which is all they score, this is an excellent score as they are notoriously tough with their marks. I'll give some more feedback tomorrow when I've read the review.

Hi Vipers,

No... have not seen it so yes please let me know their thoughts.

james