BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #640 on: 6 Feb 2011, 07:07 pm »
I have a friend who honestly did an A/B comparison of solder so just go ahead and do it.  Don't worry, we'll chip in for any (non-acoustical treatment) padding needed for the room :green:

I did some 3-4 years ago test:
Usb sticks... and Expresscard devices...
S-ata to USB adapters (connected Hdd's and Card readers)
IDE to USB (Connected Hdd's and Cd-rom drives and DVD burners)
The Card readers had CF cards, SD cards, Micro SD cards feed to them.

Micro SD cards came out on top... Followed by IDE connected DVD-burners (A plextor 760A) then came CF cards, then usb devices (usb sticks..), all connected by usb...
I had to make the comparo with a rather low tech setup, but used a Grado RS headset and a Earmax Pro with nos tubes for listening.

In my mind there was no doubt, MicroSD card via usb was the best sounding combo.
But it was 4 years ago... And it was "just for fun an afternoon.
Never did test different brands within a device "type" ...

ymmv...  :scratch: and I really don't know if it is scalable, my findings... :?

Imp.

werd

« Reply #641 on: 6 Feb 2011, 07:14 pm »

Nap - why are you so negative?

james

Because he never gets any and we pay.

Napalm

« Reply #642 on: 6 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm »
Yes and i would recommend getting rid of the led screen. [...] That screen gets amplified so there may as well be something on there that means something.

:stupid:  :duh:

werd

« Reply #643 on: 6 Feb 2011, 10:45 pm »

Napalm

« Reply #644 on: 6 Feb 2011, 10:51 pm »
whatever napamax  :lol:

Werd while we're at it why don't you just completely remove the LCD screen from your laptop. Without the noise it generates, Xcel will give purer results.

Nap.  :lol:

werd

« Reply #645 on: 6 Feb 2011, 10:59 pm »
Werd while we're at it why don't you just completely remove the LCD screen from your laptop. Without the noise it generates, Xcel will give purer results.

Nap.  :lol:

Now you are talking  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #646 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:45 pm »
Yes, I know where we are. The sound of this combo is probably fine, I have not heard the combination yet.

No problems with the interface whatsoever. There are several issues with the connectability, but they have been discussed already.

I actually very recently sold my BDA. the reasons for this: my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player sounds exactly the same, and now, after it has been in use for a while, probably even better. I also think it is VERY overpriced here, 2400 euros. I know what is on the Canadian pricetag, and I really don't see why we here in Europe have to pay double for the same piece of equipment.

The BDP is 2400 euros here too, which is about $ 2900 Can, or $ 3050 Us today.
I have heard it on a (non Bryston but WAAAY more expensive DAC), and although I really like the sound: the way it is now it's not worth the money to me. When presented as a BDAP-1 with integrated DAC in synchronous operation and a shielded slot in the back where you could insert a 2.5" drive (HD or SSD) we're getting there. Add some more ways to connect to a network (including wireless) plus more digital inputs and outputs (or, basically add the BDP to the BDA and add good network connections and good streaming possibilities for people that do not want to drag around disks and such) and we're really talking.

At this point Marantz is working on something like that. the NA7004 is a small baby step in this direction. I am very much looking forward to a KI version of this...

I HAVE heard both the BDA and BDP in action. Don't judge me okay?

Sorry Anonamemouse but i wasn't judging you. I didn't mean to come off like that. I like Marantz gear and thanks for the heads up on it but i don't know how you can compare a SACD to a DAC? The network players look good but to bad they are made in China. Explains the price anyways.

VOLKS

« Reply #647 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:51 pm »
Sorry Anonamemouse but i wasn't judging you. I didn't mean to come off like that. I like Marantz gear and thanks for the heads up on it but i don't know how you can compare a SACD to a DAC? The network players look good but to bad they are made in China. Explains the price anyways.

If Marantz makes a KI version.....i believe the KI(or most of the KI Line) is Made in Japan?

werd

« Reply #648 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:39 am »

If Marantz makes a KI version.....i believe the KI(or most of the KI Line) is Made in Japan?

Hopefully it is, i like the marantz line but what he linked was all Made in China.

Napalm

« Reply #649 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:42 am »
Hopefully it is, i like the marantz line but what he linked was all Made in China.

And your problem is?

nap.

werd

« Reply #650 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:47 am »
^^^^Its just commie junk  :icon_lol:, but it looks like the KI line on that page is Made in Japan so thats a relief.

Napalm

« Reply #651 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:48 am »
Its just commie junk  :icon_lol:,

It's made on order according to specifications.

Blame those who designed and ordered junk.

Nap.

saveloy

« Reply #652 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:57 am »
It's made on order according to specifications.

Blame those who designed and ordered junk.

Nap.

Yes.  Like Krell, Apple, Nokia, etc, etc, etc.
Much like 99% of all things electronic!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #653 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »

No worries, we all have off days... :|
I compared the DAC with the KI Pearl using regular CD material. Thanks to Sony there is no direct access to the digital signal of a SACD, so no way to compare there. In many cases SACD is well beyond the standard 44.1 quality of a redbook CD. Not always though... For example Dire Straits is ripping people off by using the redbook master for the SACD...

If Marantz makes a KI version.....i believe the KI (or most of the KI Line) is Made in Japan?

The KI signature line is all made in Japan, at the Marantz development factory in Kanagawa. The "basic" consumer stuff indeed nowadays is made in China.

^^^^Its just commie junk  :icon_lol:, but it looks like the KI line on that page is Made in Japan so thats a relief.

Keep in mind that every fourth person on this planet is Chinese... There just *have* to be a few pretty brilliant minds there as well.

werd

« Reply #654 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:03 pm »
No worries, we all have off days... :|
I compared the DAC with the KI Pearl using regular CD material. Thanks to Sony there is no direct access to the digital signal of a SACD, so no way to compare there. In many cases SACD is well beyond the standard 44.1 quality of a redbook CD. Not always though... For example Dire Straits is ripping people off by using the redbook master for the SACD...

The KI signature line is all made in Japan, at the Marantz development factory in Kanagawa. The "basic" consumer stuff indeed nowadays is made in China.

Keep in mind that every fourth person on this planet is Chinese... There just *have* to be a few pretty brilliant minds there as well.

And i feel for them. They are caught up in a regime fascist/commie (however you look at it) corporate politics that allows for max profit. Its unavoidable that hi-end manufactures gets painted with the same brush as the rest of the junk that gets unloaded out of that country.

Napalm

« Reply #655 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
They are caught up in a regime fascist/commie (however you look at it) corporate politics that allows for max profit.

Let me edit it:

"They are caught up in a regime of corporate politics that allows for max profit."

Anything different on this continent?

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #656 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

If you think running a specialty audio company provides 'maximum profits' your sadly mistaken.  For most this is a labour of love and a job that pays the bills. :)

james

Napalm

« Reply #657 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:26 pm »
If you think running a specialty audio company provides 'maximum profits' your sadly mistaken.  For most this is a labour of love and a job that pays the bills. :)

james

Sorry for the misunderstanding, by "corporate" I mean Exxon size.

If you don't run an army of lobbyists in Ottawa/Washington you don't qualify.  :nono:

Nap.

werd

« Reply #658 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:28 pm »
Let me edit it:

"They are caught up in a regime of corporate politics that allows for max profit."

Anything different on this continent?

Nap.

Hehe

I wish somebody would've asked me way back when.. "Hey do you mind?, we are going over to China and while over there we are going to exploit a nation. We are going to force people into slightly above slave labor conditions. Pretty much rail road em every chance we get. Don't worry the regime there is on board (they'll do the railroading). And guess what the great thing is everything is going to be cheap, it'll bring down the price i promise. And we'll make billions... not you of course but us"

What they didn't mention is everything they bring over will be of real low quality crap  and pretty much harbor an amazing industry of counterfeit that you'll end up buying without knowing.

Napalm

« Reply #659 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:35 pm »
What they didn't mention is everything they bring over will be of real low quality crap  [...]

...manufactured to order and specs, as the biggest the difference between manufacturing cost and sale price, the biggest the profits and the CEO's bonus.

As for global economy and politics, I suspect you were :smoke: in the washrooms during the courses   :lol:

Nap.