BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #580 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:17 am »
hey, Russell...that's good news!!! i am using a Logitech Harmony One remote and adding the BDP-1 is just great :thumb:

al.

pimandro

« Reply #581 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:43 am »
I put the codes for the Bryston DAC, but does not work

john1970

« Reply #582 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:43 am »
Don't understand why you would want to add more equipment in close proximity to the music player, particularly when you have no technical or economic advantage as a supplier.  These are commodity items experiencing rapid technological change and rapid price erosion.

Comments from other posters are spot on - this is a job for networks, not more equipment.

James,

I agree with the above quote especially with regards to the concerns over rapid price erosion.  Frankly, I would not go this route.

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #583 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:49 am »
Hi Peter,
I am also interested in the “convenience factor” behind what you are suggesting. But I don’t see why you think there will be any advantage in avoiding the “USB connection”. Even if the HDD is located in a remote computer and connected to the BDP-1 via Ethernet, the HDD still has a local interface (SATA, IDE, USB etc.) that the files/data must pass-through, none of which have a “quality mandate”.

My primary PC is located in the study, where all of my PC kit resides, about 20 feet from my HiFi rack in another room. When I rip a CD or DL a Flac file, the destination HDD is the one connected to the BDP-1, this is backed-up to a Buffalo Terastation on the same network. Seems to me that this set-up is already delivering what you are suggesting, albeit in a slightly different fashion. The 1TB Lacie 2.5” HDD is extremely quite (can only hear it when within 3~4 inches) and is powered from the USB port (so no potentially polluting wall-wart).

Unless I’m not understanding your point correctly.

On another matter and for those that may be interested, Logitech have finally got the RC codes for the BDP-1 functioning. In a few days you should be able to select in the Add Device facility:
Device - Computer/Media Center PC
Manufacturer – Bryston
Model – BDP-1
and be reported as “Digital Music Server Bryston BDP-1”

Regards

Russell

Thanks a bunch for all your work on getting the codes sorted - much appreciated.

James 

Alpha10

« Reply #584 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:02 pm »

How does everyone feel about a matching server for the BDP which would be found automatically by the BDP. It would have 2TB storage with an auto 2TB mirror backup in a box that could be placed at the router location (industrial version) and another unit that matched the BDP cosmetically if you wanted it in the same room as the BDP?

James

James I think I agree with the others here, most already have the PC with the staorage solution, it would be best to just be able to access that.

One question about the server though, would you be considering doing something similar to Naim and having a ripper/ server all in, such that the PC was no longer needed?

Mark.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #585 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:15 pm »

James I think I agree with the others here, most already have the PC with the staorage solution, it would be best to just be able to access that.

One question about the server though, would you be considering doing something similar to Naim and having a ripper/ server all in, such that the PC was no longer needed?

Mark.

Hi Mark - had not thought of the ripper idea.  The server idea came about as a result of my questions to people 'in the know' about the complexities connecting to so many different NAS drives (nerd factor).  The advantage of the dedicated server was:

1. Instant connection to BDP-1 with no customer IT knowledge required

2. Instant load time of library

3. High quality low noise drives (low failure rate) and cpu in the server

4. Cosmetically matches the rest of the system

5. Auto backup of music files

So I guess I was getting mixed signals when it comes to the plus / minuses of the server approach? I agree the costing is an issue as the prices change so rapidly.

james

Napalm

« Reply #586 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:23 pm »
James,

Are you sure you would like to compete with something like this:

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=124

These days NAS boxes are commodity items.

I'd say just implement a DLNA client into the BDP.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #587 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:34 pm »
James,

Are you sure you would like to compete with something like this:

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=124

These days NAS boxes are commodity items.

I'd say just implement a DLNA client into the BDP.

Nap.

Hi Nap,

No I understand we cannot compete on price/flexibility bases but I was looking at it more as a 'solution' for those that are not network savy and have no interest in going down that road.  Maybe i am dead wrong on that and most BDP users would not care??

james

Alpha10

« Reply #588 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:43 pm »
Hi Nap,

No I understand we cannot compete on price/flexibility bases but I was looking at it more as a 'solution' for those that are not network savy and have no interest in going down that road.  Maybe i am dead wrong on that and most BDP users would not care??

james

I think the number of 'not network savy' is rapidly diminishing these days!

I can see the merit in what you are describing James, and indeed you may well find for some, that the cosmetics out weigh the non-competitiveness of your solution.

Why not simply install some SSD drives (cost, tick) into a BDP/BDA/MPS-2 type casing (cosmetics/economies of scale, tick) with a damn good power supply to overcome the wall-wart problems (if they are real)(SQ, tick) and allow the drives to be 'mountable' from your host PC via ethernet (convenience, tick)?

Mark.

Napalm

« Reply #589 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:47 pm »
DLNA is pretty much plug-and-play. E.g. as soon as I connect my synology nas box to the network, the PS3 sees it and places icons for it in the Music/Video/Photo sections of the X-bar interface. There's 0 configuration to do.

What I would really like to see is a BDAP-1 with integrated DAC in synchronous operation. And a shielded slot in the back where you could insert a 2.5" drive (HD or SSD). This would have little to no competition.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #590 on: 5 Feb 2011, 01:53 pm »
Think of this, with a slot or a way to install a 2.5" drive inside:

In black, please  :green:

SFOX

« Reply #591 on: 5 Feb 2011, 02:48 pm »
per my post on 30 November ...

Audio Manufacturers / Bryston Limited / Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK  on: 30 Nov 2010, 05:53 AM 
Hi James

What do you think of a Bryston SSD, the 'BSSD-1', with SSD internals in an MPS-1 size metal enclosure connected to the BDP-1 with a detachable USB cable ...

I think that SSD(s) in either MPS-1 or MPS-2 enclosures would be perfect for 'completing' the BDP-1/BDA-1 if priced accordingly ...

The drive(s) could be removeable by the user from the rear for upgrading

Another option might be a chassis with internal power supply and slot(s) for the user to install SSD(s) of their choice

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #592 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:36 pm »
What I would really like to see is a BDAP-1 with integrated DAC in synchronous operation. And a shielded slot in the back where you could insert a 2.5" drive (HD or SSD). This would have little to no competition.

Nap.

Now this ^^^^^^^^ I would spend my money on.
The BDP as it is now, not.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #593 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:43 pm »

james

It's basically just a software thing which can easily be implemented, so why not build in the option?
And I think you underestimate the average user here... :)

(except for the one that panics about a click when he turns on his amp, and then, AFTER you tell him it also might be audible when you turn it off, panics about the click when it is turned off)

werd

« Reply #594 on: 5 Feb 2011, 05:01 pm »
Now this ^^^^^^^^ I would spend my money on.
The BDP as it is now, not.

You guys realize you are on an audio board right? What about the BDA/BDP bothers you in terms of sound? How would this sound better Nap?

Anyways Bryston's philosophy has always been that most of the bothersome digital complaints are centered around lousy analogue circuitry powering it. Its all right there on there website. You get that with BDP/BDA in spades.... great analogue/digital interface.

You guys should quit critiquing gear you have never heard. Have some faith in Bryston and other reputable brands that they are able to engineer a piece with no surprises. The bdp1 sounds like a Bryston piece, there are no surprises to it, its a great partner to the bda at the very least.

whanafi

« Reply #595 on: 5 Feb 2011, 05:14 pm »
You guys realize you are an audio board right? What about the BDA/BDP bothers you in terms of sound? How would this sound better Nap?

Anyways Bryston's philosophy has always been that most of the bothersome digital complaints are centered around lousy analogue circuitry powering it. Its all right there on there website. You get that with BDP/BDA in spades.... great analogue/digital interface.

You guys should quit critiquing gear you have never heard. Have some faith in Bryston and other reputable brands that they are able to engineer a piece with no surprises. The bdp1 sounds like a Bryston piece, there are no surprises to it, its a great partner to the bda at the very least.

Your need to defend Bryston is misplaced.  James asked a question about selling a NAS device.  The comments are related to that proposition. 

The outstanding problem presented by a "player only" is the need to feed source material.  Using a physical analogy, James has created a device that expects to be fed from USB connected devices. 

This certainly follows the old model of LP/Cassette/CD, but does not address the fact that most people who have shifted to digital now have large libraries.  Current storage technology requires a spinning device (with noise - both electrical and aural) to accommodate such libraries, which are typically in the 100's of GB in size.

The suggestion that the player be enabled for network browsing makes sense as this allows the separation of the player from the source.

Even more attractive is to combine the Player and DAC as a single device, which really is a Player, as opposed to half a player.  I already have a BDA-1 and a Transporter, but if a network enabled Player/DAC was sold by Bryston, I would have bought that.

A Bryston NAS is not interesting to me, as music is only one data set that I manage, and I don't see the point of having to back up my music separately from all my other data.  A NAS is a computer device, not an audio device.

Napalm

« Reply #596 on: 5 Feb 2011, 05:18 pm »
How would this sound better Nap?

Any decent recording studio has a master ("world") clock that synchronizes everything.

With the BDA/BDP combo you don't have it.

How would this sounds better, Werd?

Nap.

werd

« Reply #597 on: 5 Feb 2011, 06:00 pm »
Any decent recording studio has a master ("world") clock that synchronizes everything.

With the BDA/BDP combo you don't have it.

How would this sounds better, Werd?

Nap.

I don't know Nap and i don't care what it might sound like. All i know is what it does sound like.

I know what you are saying Wanafi but the thing is out now. They can go get one and have it running in their house. The days of hiding behind the thing not being out and re engineering it are over.Wanafi they will keep doing it until the cows come home. All your points i agree with and like yourself i would not be interested in a Nas too.

My point is the bdp as it stand sounds like a Bryston piece. There are no surprises. You can get great sound out of it and have great access to all your music files. They have done this without it interfacing like a computer. Its one of the first things i noticed is the Bryston trademark sound it has.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #598 on: 5 Feb 2011, 06:36 pm »
You guys realize you are on an audio board right? What about the BDA/BDP bothers you in terms of sound? How would this sound better Nap?

Yes, I know where we are. The sound of this combo is probably fine, I have not heard the combination yet.

No problems with the interface whatsoever. There are several issues with the connectability, but they have been discussed already.

I actually very recently sold my BDA. the reasons for this: my Marantz KI Pearl SACD player sounds exactly the same, and now, after it has been in use for a while, probably even better. I also think it is VERY overpriced here, 2400 euros. I know what is on the Canadian pricetag, and I really don't see why we here in Europe have to pay double for the same piece of equipment.

The BDP is 2400 euros here too, which is about $ 2900 Can, or $ 3050 Us today.
I have heard it on a (non Bryston but WAAAY more expensive DAC), and although I really like the sound: the way it is now it's not worth the money to me. When presented as a BDAP-1 with integrated DAC in synchronous operation and a shielded slot in the back where you could insert a 2.5" drive (HD or SSD) we're getting there. Add some more ways to connect to a network (including wireless) plus more digital inputs and outputs (or, basically add the BDP to the BDA and add good network connections and good streaming possibilities for people that do not want to drag around disks and such) and we're really talking.

At this point Marantz is working on something like that. the NA7004 is a small baby step in this direction. I am very much looking forward to a KI version of this...

I HAVE heard both the BDA and BDP in action. Don't judge me okay?

pimandro

« Reply #599 on: 5 Feb 2011, 06:53 pm »
The bdp1 is born to have a reproduction state of the art.
For this reason, have not been developed options that are not state of the art.
The Bryston is a great dac but coupled with the bdp1 becomes almost unbeatable for me.
As I 'said (and I'm not alone) have to solve the problem of loading time of HD and I do not think it was necessary to make a hd Bryston, there are many other solutions more' simple that surely Bryston engineers have already 'found.
James right?