James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #400 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:44 pm »
Hi James

Couple questions;

When do you anticipate you will be introducing a dedicated NAS drive - probably 2TB storage and 2TB mirror in a matching cabinet

Will cabinet be same size as BDP-1

Any prototypes/pictures available yet

What do you anticipate approx. list price to be

Will HDD be upgradeable

Had to ask ...  :o

Hi nikon,

Just looking into the options now but I hope we can package it so it matches the cosmetics and size of the BDP-1.

james

klao

« Reply #401 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:54 pm »
That's right, Tony.  Sorry to for the incomplete info; it's March issue #211.

Editor's Choice awards are going to be in the March issue.  I think only the digital edition is available now.
Tony

Welly123

« Reply #402 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:03 am »
That being said the BDP-1 is not about instant load on boot-up (although the NAS will alleviate that issue) - so if you’re looking for a system that gives you instantaneous load times upon turn-on and accessibility from anywhere in the house and streams music the BDP-1 is not for you. Once the files are loaded they are accessible immediately but not if restarting/rebooting the system.

Hi James,

There's been numerous suggestions regarding storing an index of the included files in an attached HDD, this index would be updated only when a "new scan" is requested via the UI or front panel. This would make the "boot process" far quicker and negate the need for drive scanning until files have been added. Is this being worked on to be included in a future firmware release?
On another matter, and as there is no RC supplied with the BDP-1, can you please supply all of the necessary BDP-1 RC codes to Logitech. I am currently struggling with their tech support because the BDP-1 is not in their database (I have a Harmony 885).

Regards
Russell

vengky

« Reply #403 on: 23 Jan 2011, 11:02 am »
I would like the codes for the Harmony too  :)
Thanks.
VK

Ritchief

« Reply #404 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:31 pm »
Can I add my name to that list as well, if you could post all the HEX,  ASCii, Pronto codes for all your products that would be really helpful .

In particular for me the BP26, BDA & BDP...

Thank you in advance..

Rich.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #405 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:43 pm »
Hi Folks

Not sure on the remote code issue - email Mike Pickett on that one and see if he can offer any input mpickett@bryston.com

As for the idea of the attached drive index idea I asked our software engineer Chris about that and he said he had some concerns about loosing the entire library if a fault occurred. So I may need to understand the process a bit better before we look at that idea?

James

Napalm

« Reply #406 on: 23 Jan 2011, 01:19 pm »
As for the idea of the attached drive index idea I asked our software engineer Chris about that and he said he had some concerns about loosing the entire library if a fault occurred. So I may need to understand the process a bit better before we look at that idea?

The process is that when you start the BDP, it will "scan" the attached drive and create in the BDP RAM a list of all the files there (the "index"). The process is slow as it is done via numerous linux system calls (at least one per file).

So the idea is that once created, this "index" would be saved on the HD as a special file in the root directory.

Next time you boot it, it finds the file and reads it in RAM directly, without doing a new traversal of the directories/files.

The question is: what do you do if the IDX file gets corrupted; or the user added/removed files.

A decent answer is to have a manual "re-index" capability. Would the user press a certain button combination, the BDP would discard the existing IDX and start building it from scratch.

Of course, this would only work with a pre-amp with tone controls  :wink:

nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #407 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:00 pm »
The process is that when you start the BDP, it will "scan" the attached drive and create in the BDP RAM a list of all the files there (the "index"). The process is slow as it is done via numerous linux system calls (at least one per file).

So the idea is that once created, this "index" would be saved on the HD as a special file in the root directory.

Next time you boot it, it finds the file and reads it in RAM directly, without doing a new traversal of the directories/files.

The question is: what do you do if the IDX file gets corrupted; or the user added/removed files.

A decent answer is to have a manual "re-index" capability. Would the user press a certain button combination, the BDP would discard the existing IDX and start building it from scratch.

Of course, this would only work with a pre-amp with tone controls  :wink:

nap.

Hi nap,

Thanks I will pass this along.

JAMES

klao

« Reply #408 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:07 pm »
Lucky me; today I got my BDP-1 (serial #221) with the Bryston thumb drive.   :wink:

BTW, James, the unit is marked 240V.  It should has no problem operating within the 220V-230V range output from my Torus AVR, right?

Hi Klao,

We have run out of the original 200 thumbdrives.

james

werd

« Reply #409 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:13 pm »
Hi James

You mentioned that you are using a 4" xlr jumper between your bdp and bda. Are you finding any sonic advantage you like, compared to lets say a 25' xlr spread between the two components?

Vipers

« Reply #410 on: 25 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
I'm looking to change my S/PDIF cable over on my BDP-1 to an AES-EBU, I'm looking at Chord's Signature AES-EBU cable as they seem to have done quite alot of testing with this cable :-

http://www.chord.co.uk/products.php?pg=144&phpMyAdmin=H%2CKFxwyL5UycE7miJqts4M28nF4&phpMyAdmin=1f49bfd3cbdaa53c1e4262029d36fe8d

I've just been on the phone to Chord and they have kindly offered to lend me one as they are keen to see how it sounds with the BDP-1 as they admit that as good as the AES connection is, sometimes people have found that the S/PDIF connection can sound more musical and not as analytical.

My question really is, can I leave both the S/PDIF and AES-EBU cables connected to the BDP-1 into the BDA-1 and switch between the 2 using the buttons on the front of the BDA-1 to compare or will having both cables connected at the same time effect the sound quality in any way?

Thanks.

saveloy

« Reply #411 on: 25 Jan 2011, 07:57 pm »
Vipers, I use the S/PDIF version of that cable.  I paid about £250 for it.  I like Chord cables.
But since listening to a few cables at The Bristol hi-fi show, I've been hooked on TCI products.  They held their own against far costlier cables.  They are incredibly good, and are far better than their reasonable cost would imply. 
I'm going to talk to them about an AES/EBU cable for the BDP-1.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #412 on: 25 Jan 2011, 08:00 pm »
I have a spare RCA Nordost Siver Shadow for you if you're interested. New price is about 420 pounds, all yours for 275 (plus shipping).

You will need a converter plug from BNC to RCA, which will set you back another 7 if you buy a good one, of have one end changed by a Nordost rep.

It will outperform whatever you have now...

Vipers

« Reply #413 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:18 pm »
Vipers, I use the S/PDIF version of that cable.  I paid about £250 for it.  I like Chord cables.
But since listening to a few cables at The Bristol hi-fi show, I've been hooked on TCI products.  They held their own against far costlier cables.  They are incredibly good, and are far better than their reasonable cost would imply. 
I'm going to talk to them about an AES/EBU cable for the BDP-1.

Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of TCI Products before, but looking at their range they look pretty good and they do a range called Viper, that must be a sign  :roll: I'll look into it a little more.

Vipers

« Reply #414 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm »
I have a spare RCA Nordost Siver Shadow for you if you're interested. New price is about 420 pounds, all yours for 275 (plus shipping).

You will need a converter plug from BNC to RCA, which will set you back another 7 if you buy a good one, of have one end changed by a Nordost rep.

It will outperform whatever you have now...

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really keen to explore the AES-EBU connection for now, cheers.

saveloy

« Reply #415 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
You are very welcome, Vipers.
If you can get to Bristol on Feb 25-27th, you'll enjoy a great show. 
The BDP-1 will be there in the PMC room.  And TCI will be auditioning there cables against many others, Chord and Nordost included. 

Bugsy

« Reply #416 on: 26 Jan 2011, 06:49 am »
I'm looking to change my S/PDIF cable over on my BDP-1 to an AES-EBU, I'm looking at Chord's Signature AES-EBU cable as they seem to have done quite alot of testing with this cable :-

http://www.chord.co.uk/products.php?pg=144&phpMyAdmin=H%2CKFxwyL5UycE7miJqts4M28nF4&phpMyAdmin=1f49bfd3cbdaa53c1e4262029d36fe8d

I've just been on the phone to Chord and they have kindly offered to lend me one as they are keen to see how it sounds with the BDP-1 as they admit that as good as the AES connection is, sometimes people have found that the S/PDIF connection can sound more musical and not as analytical.

My question really is, can I leave both the S/PDIF and AES-EBU cables connected to the BDP-1 into the BDA-1 and switch between the 2 using the buttons on the front of the BDA-1 to compare or will having both cables connected at the same time effect the sound quality in any way?

Thanks.

Hi Vipers

I have the BDP-1 connected with a 1.5 meter S/PDIF 75 Ohm Silver Shadow Digital cable with RCA connectors and use RCA to BNC adapter plugs for this cable as got it new a very good price , I also connected a 1 meter Transparent Premium 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital cable. I switch between the two using the bottons on the BDA-1 and at the moment I prefer the Nordost Silver Shadow but plan on doing more testing. If I could get a Nordost Silver Shadow Digital 75 Ohm with BNC to BNC ends for the same price I paid for the RCA to RCA I would use that one.

So good luck and ENJOY as I am loving it.

Larry

Vipers

« Reply #417 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:26 pm »
You are very welcome, Vipers.
If you can get to Bristol on Feb 25-27th, you'll enjoy a great show. 
The BDP-1 will be there in the PMC room.  And TCI will be auditioning there cables against many others, Chord and Nordost included.

Hi Saveloy,

I went to Bristol last year but wasn't planning to go this year tbh, I found last year to be a little disapointing with only really the PMC/Bryston rooms and Naim rooms to sound really nice.

But now that my system is complete and I enter the realms of sorting cables to extract the maximum performance, maybe I'd find some of the smaller rooms to be more interesting this year.

Vipers

« Reply #418 on: 26 Jan 2011, 03:30 pm »
Hi Vipers

I have the BDP-1 connected with a 1.5 meter S/PDIF 75 Ohm Silver Shadow Digital cable with RCA connectors and use RCA to BNC adapter plugs for this cable as got it new a very good price , I also connected a 1 meter Transparent Premium 110-Ohm AES/EBU Digital cable. I switch between the two using the bottons on the BDA-1 and at the moment I prefer the Nordost Silver Shadow but plan on doing more testing. If I could get a Nordost Silver Shadow Digital 75 Ohm with BNC to BNC ends for the same price I paid for the RCA to RCA I would use that one.

So good luck and ENJOY as I am loving it.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the feedback, you seem to back up what others have told me, that the AES-EBU connection is a superior connection but alot of the time the common S/PDIF interface is preffered.

I think I'll give the Chord cable a try, at least I now know that I can leave both cables connected up and do some A/B comparing, as you can't beat drawing your own conclusions.

Thanks again  :)

caberxx

« Reply #419 on: 26 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm »
I may be missing something, but I don't understand why anyone would spend the money on Chord cables or the like to connect the DBA-1 to BDP-1.  Is this not a digital signal?  Any connection will work, unlike with an analog signal that will degrade over a poor cable.  Am I wrong?