BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

vengky

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #380 on: 16 Jan 2011, 11:27 am »
Using the Ipad with the Bryston Max I notice that if the playlist is longer than the length of the screen it will not scroll down. On the desktop thru a web browser a long playlist is not a problem as there is a scroll bar.

Anybody else having the same issue?

Thanks.
vk

pimandro

« Reply #381 on: 16 Jan 2011, 11:36 am »
Me too

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #382 on: 16 Jan 2011, 01:46 pm »
On the MAX use TWO FINGERS to scroll :)

james

Xinon

« Reply #383 on: 16 Jan 2011, 02:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

Have new liteature for the BDP-1.  If anyone wants a copy please email me at jamestanner@bryston.com.  It is 8 pages and 4MG.

james

Thanx for the literature James :)
Have had the Bdp1 for almost a month now , and it makes me want to listen to music all day long .
It playes all types of music equally well , Ive been listening to my thumbstich with 70th rock for over an hour now , no listening fatige ,but still detailed -an involving . I can now play alot of music ,music I like , but could not play with the cdplayer amp combo I used to have becauce of the sound . Bdp1/Bda1 seems to make the best of every cdrip and makes it a joy to listen to the music again ,not just the  sound. It's like the cure for audiophilia nevrosa 8)
Btw
When do you think the new design of the Bda1 will hit the stores in Norway?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #384 on: 16 Jan 2011, 03:02 pm »
Thanx for the literature James :)
Have had the Bdp1 for almost a month now , and it makes me want to listen to music all day long .
It playes all types of music equally well , Ive been listening to my thumbstich with 70th rock for over an hour now , no listening fatige ,but still detailed -an involving . I can now play alot of music ,music I like , but could not play with the cdplayer amp combo I used to have becauce of the sound . Bdp1/Bda1 seems to make the best of every cdrip and makes it a joy to listen to the music again ,not just the  sound. It's like the cure for audiophilia nevrosa 8)
Btw
When do you think the new design of the Bda1 will hit the stores in Norway?

Hi Xinon,

Thank you for your kind words - it is truly amazing how great the response has been to the BDP-1.  Sometimes when your developing a product you wonder if people will hear the differences you're hearing :scratch:  In this case I am happy to report that almost all our customers have heard the advantages the BDP-1 brings to the digital world.

We hope to start building the new cosmetics on the BDA-1 starting next month :)

james

nikon

« Reply #385 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:17 am »
James

Do you know approximately when in February the BDA-1 with new cosmetics will start shipping (earlier or later)

Anxious to order one to match my BDP-1  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #386 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:57 am »
James

Do you know approximately when in February the BDA-1 with new cosmetics will start shipping (earlier or later)

Anxious to order one to match my BDP-1  :o

I would say mid month - I would order now and say you want the new cosmetics.

james

Ritchief

« Reply #387 on: 17 Jan 2011, 09:36 am »
I have now had more BDP for a few days now and loving it, however I do have one problem that I would like some advice on.

My problem is to do with interface between the Bryston Mini / Max software and a Nevo S70 remote control.

My Nevo is programmed to see the web pages of both the Mini and Max. However, with the Mini software, the Nevo does not recognise any of the “buttons” and with the Max, the only “buttons” the Nevo can see is the Previous Track / Play / Next Track.

The problem is that when you press the Previous Track / Play / Next Track the Nevo does send out the command to the Max software and BDP does carry out the command ie skip to the next track, but then the Nevo promptly crashes and has to reboot.

I have run some checks using the Nevo emulator and it comes up with an error box saying “Script Error”.

I know that a quick fix would be to go and buy an itouch or ipad etc, but that would add another control back into my system, when I had just reduced them all into one.

Therefore, can anyone offer advice that what I can do, or does it require Bryston to tweak the software to make it work.

For information prior to the BDP I had a Squeezbox connected and working through the Nevo so I know that the Nevo can control and browse web pages.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #388 on: 17 Jan 2011, 04:10 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hello

I've gotten a chance to test with the Nevo Studio Pro 1.1 software and was wondering if you could, on the Nevo S70 browse to the settings page on the BDP-1 and check what the browser is detected as.  This would be located under "Browser Variables" in settings.

Chris

Ritchief

« Reply #389 on: 17 Jan 2011, 08:45 pm »
Chris & James,

I have carried out your instructions, however, the screen size on the Nevo S70 is only 240 x 320 and therefore, I can only see the list of System settings and not the data on the right hand side. I suppose the good thing is that I can see the screen changing and so the buttons appear to be working, and the Nevo is not crashing.

If it helps I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and I am using both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as recommend on the settings page. For information the Nevo software is Nevo Pro 3.

The setting page on Explorer shows :

Name:   Microsoft Internet Explorer
Version:   5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
Code Name:   Mozilla
Platform:   Win32
Agent:   Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; AskTB5.5)

And on Chrome shows:

Name:   Netscape
Version:   5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/8.0.552.237 Safari/534.10
Platform:   Win32
Agent:   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/8.0.552.237 Safari/534.10

Thinking allowed, if the buttons in the MINI version were of the same style / software makeup as those in the settings page then I would suggest that the MINI would work on the NEVO as long as the screen web page was no larger than 240 x 320.

I suppose the other issue might be that you state a Platform of Win 32 and I am using Win 64 - could this be causing an issue ??

Thank you for your assistance.

Richard.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #390 on: 18 Jan 2011, 05:12 pm »
Sent: Mon 1/17/2011 4:45 PM
To: Bryston
Subject: BDP-1

James Tanner

Again let me praise this new product, because now the BDP-1 is part of my system, and I just love it.

It replaces my home computer in which I had installed an M-Audio SPDIF card to read my digital files into the BDA-1.

Also, I use the J River Media Player software to convert my CD’s to flac and to manage all my digital files, etc.

I use a Raid 0 NAS  to store all my files, in all formats. This works fine for me.

Gilles

Ritchief

« Reply #391 on: 19 Jan 2011, 08:24 pm »
Clive and James,

Regarding my earlier post above, I have managed to pull of the data :

Name:   Microsoft Internet Explorer
Version:   4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C; AskTB5.5)
Platform:   Win64
Agent:   Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C; AskTB5.5)

I hope this helps to resolve my problem between the BDP and the Nevo....

Regards...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #392 on: 19 Jan 2011, 09:25 pm »
Hi Ritchief,

i have never used that remote but I will pass it on to Chris our software engineer for you to see if he can help.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #393 on: 20 Jan 2011, 12:23 pm »
Sent: January-20-11 12:07 AM
To: James Tanner
Cc: 'D Parsonson'
Subject: Latest acquisition

Hello James,

It is my pleasure to let you know that I just acquired a BDP-1 and BDA-1 to complement the sources (XXXX-ED) in my system.

This is indeed a winning combination and will be a great tool for our own recordings.

Last May I recorded Svetlana’s Siberian performance of Rachmaninov’s Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 with a portable in 24bit 44.1kHz recorder. After editing and mastering with Wavelab 6, I burned a master CD at 1x speed for our latest release http://ponomarevapianist.com/music_detail.php?id=10

Yet all these steps little by little degrade the sound. When my XXXXX (ED) player needed repair, I was anxious to get a good DAC coupled with my old California Audio Lab Ikon 2 while the unit was fixed. So I was interested in the BDA-1. In the process I discovered your new product and was curious to play the original digital file of Svetlana’s latest Rachmaninov CD.

I am thrilled to say that the BDP-1/BDA-1 combination brought the most details, dynamics and true timber that we’ve heard so far. It made us relive the moment!

During my purchase experience, as one of his returning customer after many years, I was kindly treated at Commercial Electronics by Dennis Parsonson who was knowledgeable and very helpful. He facilitated borrowing the DAC for a day so I could compare with my usual source before making the decision to buy one unit last month and today when I enjoyed plenty of listening time with the BDP-1 in their room and quickly made a decision to get  unit #196 right away!

As expected, Bryston delivered again two great products at a superbly competitive price.

Best regards,
Dr. Marc Villéger

topher_m

« Reply #394 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:22 am »
HI
Interested in the product but confused about the logistics of listening from a large library, not small thumb drives.

Can anyone give a operational synopsis of how this product differs from a streamer that can immediately load or at least show a full 1TB library.

I just can't get my head around if this is a significant enough liability.
Does Bryston have plans to handle larger libraries through updates?

Sounds like a great product but not everyone can live off of thumb drives.

Thanks,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #395 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:52 am »
HI
Interested in the product but confused about the logistics of listening from a large library, not small thumb drives.

Can anyone give a operational synopsis of how this product differs from a streamer that can immediately load or at least show a full 1TB library.

I just can't get my head around if this is a significant enough liability.
Does Bryston have plans to handle larger libraries through updates?

Sounds like a great product but not everyone can live off of thumb drives.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

You can use USB drives of any type - Thumb drives or Hard-drives.  I use a two 500G USB hard-drives on the two rear ports and use the front ones for Thumb-drives with specialized music.  We are going to be introducing a dedicated NAS drive - probably 2TB storage and 2TB mirror in a matching cabinet.

That being said the BDP-1 is not about instant load on boot-up (although the NAS will alleviate that issue) - so if you’re looking for a system that gives you instantaneous load times upon turn-on and accessibility from anywhere in the house and streams music the BDP-1 is not for you. Once the files are loaded they are accessible immediately but not if restarting/rebooting the system.

The BDP-1 is dedicated to playing back digital files with as high fidelity and performance as possible given today’s technology up to and including 192/24 bit digital files.

I can email you the brochure if you wish which explains the BDP-1 to a much greater extent.  Just email me at jamestanner@bryston.com

james

klao

« Reply #396 on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:02 am »
James,
FYI, Bryston BDP-1 has been mentioned under HP's Editors' Choice article (under the 28-SST2 heading) in the latest TAS magazine.  Cheers.
Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #397 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm »
James,
FYI, Bryston BDP-1 has been mentioned under HP's Editors' Choice article (under the 28-SST2 heading) in the latest TAS magazine.  Cheers.
Klao

Thanks I will have a look - I did a demo for them against one of their top turntables and they said at the time they were quite impressed :)

james

PS - Klao - Feb issue?

BrysTony

« Reply #398 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:37 pm »
Thanks I will have a look - I did a demo for them against one of their top turntables and they said at the time they were quite impressed :)

james

PS - Klao - Feb issue?

Editor's Choice awards are going to be in the March issue.  I think only the digital edition is available now.
Tony

nikon

« Reply #399 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:38 pm »
Hi James

Couple questions;

When do you anticipate you will be introducing a dedicated NAS drive - probably 2TB storage and 2TB mirror in a matching cabinet

Will cabinet be same size as BDP-1

Any prototypes/pictures available yet

What do you anticipate approx. list price to be

Will HDD be upgradeable

Had to ask ...  :o