BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

klao

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #320 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:33 am »
Congrats on many nice review James! 

Do you still ship the Bryston thumb drive with the BDP-1?  I expect to receive my unit around the end of Jan.  Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #321 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:30 pm »
Congrats on many nice review James! 

Do you still ship the Bryston thumb drive with the BDP-1?  I expect to receive my unit around the end of Jan.  Thanks.

Hi Klao,

We have run out of the original 200 thumbdrives.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #322 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:47 pm »
Hi Klao,

We have run out of the original 200 thumbdrives.

james

James,
That thumbdrive really has some great music on it - one song from eight different albums and I suspect that most of the 200 recipients will buy one or more of those albums.  I believe that Chessky would find it profitable if they provided them to Bryston at no cost as an advertisement for their hi-res downloads.  Bryston customers get up and running faster, get exposed to some new great music and Chessky sells more music downloads.  A win for everybody.  :thumb:
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #323 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:03 pm »
James,
That thumbdrive really has some great music on it - one song from eight different albums and I suspect that most of the 200 recipients will buy one or more of those albums.  I believe that Chessky would find it profitable if they provided them to Bryston at no cost as an advertisement for their hi-res downloads.  Bryston customers get up and running faster, get exposed to some new great music and Chessky sells more music downloads.  A win for everybody.  :thumb:
Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes we are discussing more thumb-drives with different music with Chesky but apparently waving fee payment is not an option.

james

gtaphile

« Reply #324 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:39 pm »
I am using Intel SSD drive 120GB, instant bootup and better sound than flash drive

Dan

James - I probably missed the answer to this many moons ago. Just wondering - why would the sound be any different whether the source is a solid state drive, regular drive or flash?

I am about to start transferring my CD media to digital storage and would not want to do it twice

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #325 on: 4 Jan 2011, 09:31 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^

Really good question and I am not an expert but as I understand it the USB Flash-drive and the SSD have the advantage of no moving parts, the 'search time' is instantanious because your connecting electrically rather than an armature searching for bits of files.

Whether that really affects sound or not I am not completely convinced yet.

james

mystabg

« Reply #326 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:11 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^

Really good question and I am not an expert but as I understand it the USB Flash-drive and the SSD have the advantage of no moving parts, the 'search time' is instantanious because your connecting electrically rather than an armature searching for bits of files.

Whether that really affects sound or not I am not completely convinced yet.

james
The Really nice part is the instant connection.I know some where else it was noted that it could take considerable time with a standard hard drive that was full to boot up. I myself want my music NOW and not 15 minutes from now.Gary

sfraser

« Reply #327 on: 5 Jan 2011, 09:37 pm »
Most modern  mechanical hard drives have initial access times in or around 10 m/s. Once the data is off the platter and on the internal BUS of the computer, it shouldnt matter what the data source is. Most modern hard drives (home office) have a SATA II interface. SATA II has a 3 Gigabit per second throughput. Current USB throughput is 480 megabits i believe...in either case loads of bandwidth to deliver the goodies.....or sound bites...sorry on a post xmas diet!

cheers,

mystabg

« Reply #328 on: 5 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm »
From cold my BDP-1 takes 1min 24secs to initialise (boot). With a 1TB HDD containing 819GB of FLAC files there is an additional 12mins 12secs while the drive is scanned and the "Playlist" updated, so the total boot time is 13 minutes and 36 seconds. A ball-park estimate of 1GB/sec is not too far off. I leave mine turned-on permanently as the power consumption is very low...

After adding files, from my primary PC across the network to the BDP-1 with connected HDD, I use the Update facility within mPod to scan for the new files, this takes just a few seconds... I have not timed it, but after adding 3.28GB of 24/96 FLAC files (41 tracks) it was less than 10~15 seconds.
Regards

Russell
[/quote

sfraser that may be how it is on a computer but on the BDP-1 the above quote is what I was talking about as to wait time.Happy New Year Gary

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #329 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:34 pm »
Do all attached USB devices have to be scanned/updated before you can hit play?
I can see this working only if a small thumb drive with your "hot" play list loads instantly , hit play then wait ............. for your 1TB drive to scan in.
Is it possible to prioritize the scan sequence of the four USB ports say front to back?
Shawn

OgOgilby

« Reply #330 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:32 am »
James - I probably missed the answer to this many moons ago. Just wondering - why would the sound be any different whether the source is a solid state drive, regular drive or flash?

I am about to start transferring my CD media to digital storage and would not want to do it twice

Thanks

I've tried a couple of thumb drives, a regular hard drive, and a solid state drive. I can't say that I noticed a difference in audio quality between them with the BDP-1. I haven't A/B tested the drives to find out.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the BDP-1 when teamed with the BDA-1. It has elevated my system's sound quality quite a bit more than I was expecting, considering I was already using the BDA-1 with a CD transport.

1oldguy

« Reply #331 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:08 am »
Well I was told by my dealer it will arrive tomorrow.That much be a new world record in shipping.Christmas really gummed up her arrival. :nono:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #332 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:55 am »
Do all attached USB devices have to be scanned/updated before you can hit play?
I can see this working only if a small thumb drive with your "hot" play list loads instantly , hit play then wait ............. for your 1TB drive to scan in.
Is it possible to prioritize the scan sequence of the four USB ports say front to back?
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Yes the drives will load one at a time and you can access the loaded drives as the other drives are loading.  You can even access files as they are being loaded so you do not have to wait for a specific drive to load completely before you can hear your music.

james

sfraser

« Reply #333 on: 6 Jan 2011, 01:41 pm »
From cold my BDP-1 takes 1min 24secs to initialise (boot). With a 1TB HDD containing 819GB of FLAC files there is an additional 12mins 12secs while the drive is scanned and the "Playlist" updated, so the total boot time is 13 minutes and 36 seconds. A ball-park estimate of 1GB/sec is not too far off. I leave mine turned-on permanently as the power consumption is very low...

After adding files, from my primary PC across the network to the BDP-1 with connected HDD, I use the Update facility within mPod to scan for the new files, this takes just a few seconds... I have not timed it, but after adding 3.28GB of 24/96 FLAC files (41 tracks) it was less than 10~15 seconds.
Regards

Russell
[/quote

sfraser that may be how it is on a computer but on the BDP-1 the above quote is what I was talking about as to wait time.Happy New Year Gary

Oops! sorry about that.

James, what is the current status in regards to supporting remote files (NAS etc. via SAMBA/cifs or NFS?). Is it still on the radar?

Cheers,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #334 on: 6 Jan 2011, 01:48 pm »
Oops! sorry about that.

James, what is the current status in regards to supporting remote files (NAS etc. via SAMBA/cifs or NFS?). Is it still on the radar?

Cheers,

Cheers,

Yes still looking at it and the idea of a matching Bryston NAS.

james

sfraser

« Reply #335 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:03 pm »
Cheers,

Yes still looking at it and the idea of a matching Bryston NAS.

james

James, if they have not already done so have your Engineers take a look at the squeezecenter/squeezebox server architecture using SQL/Lite. Might be some good ideas there. A bit of software running on the back end (Bryston NAS) along with a thin client on the player would take care of the long loading issues with large libraries.

Cheers, and good luck!

Napalm

Napalm

« Reply #337 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:42 pm »
A different approach:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,dacs,rDac.htm

note the wireless dongle to be used with a notebook.

Nap.  :thumb:

klao

« Reply #338 on: 6 Jan 2011, 06:43 pm »
Sorry about my technology ignorance, but would tablets made by others (beside Apple Ipad) such as Samsung Galaxy, can be used to control the BDP-1 playlist?   :scratch:

Thank you.

mystabg

« Reply #339 on: 6 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
James, if they have not already done so have your Engineers take a look at the squeezecenter/squeezebox server architecture using SQL/Lite. Might be some good ideas there. A bit of software running on the back end (Bryston NAS) along with a thin client on the player would take care of the long loading issues with large libraries.

Cheers, and good luck!

Best idea I've seen offered yet.