BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #300 on: 29 Dec 2010, 10:34 am »
Hi Folks,

A new client for MPD that you can use.  Tried it on my Windows 7 laptop and XP desktop with good results interfacing with the BDP-1

http://gmpclient.org/installation

Just install the GMPC part 0.20.0

james

« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2010, 05:34 pm by James Tanner »

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #301 on: 29 Dec 2010, 11:34 am »
Thank you James.

Oz

Vipers

« Reply #302 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:10 pm »
Guys, can someone please give me a brief idiots guide on how to get Mpod working on my iphone please as I'm struggling, all I get is connection problem, couldn't connect to the MPD server  :?
Thanks.

Welly123

« Reply #303 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:46 pm »
Guys, can someone please give me a brief idiots guide on how to get Mpod working on my iphone please as I'm struggling, all I get is connection problem, couldn't connect to the MPD server  :?
Thanks.

As long as you can "see" the BDP-1 on your network, all you should have to do is input the MPD Server address: "bryston-bdp-1.local" with Port "6600" and it should work... I certainly don't remember doing anything else (at least not after I installed the "production firmware"). I believe you can also use the actual BDP-1 IP address as the MPD Server address, but be aware that this could change, depending on how your Router is set-up.

Regards

Russell

Vipers

« Reply #304 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:50 pm »
Hi Russell,

Thanks, I'll give it a try in a mo, networking's never been my strong point, it was the server address I was leaving out  :oops:

4 more cd's to go and I've ripped over 200 cd's in the last 3 days, it's almost drove me insane  :thankyou:

Napalm

« Reply #305 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:57 pm »
4 more cd's to go and I've ripped over 200 cd's in the last 3 days, it's almost drove me insane 

Just wait until you notice that you did it with the wrong settings...

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

Bugsy

« Reply #306 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:03 pm »
HI Guys

I just order my BDP-1 and it should arrive in md to late Jan, so I had downloaded dBpoweramp (CD Ripper & Music Converter) in advance and have ripped aprox 230 or more cd's, to my usb 1.5g hard drive.

I ripped them to Flac with the standard compression but just edited the art work and the metadata as per what was on the cd.

I ripped them with an old plexter cd burner Plexwriter 12/10/32A and a Plextor DVD burner PX-708A that was not in use so I had them installed.

I used ripping method secure with Ultra secure ripping checked, along with clear read cache with FUA and C2 error pointers for error detection checked.

Under AccurateRip the first to boxes were checkec. I also checked prevent auto-run on all cds drives.

I hope I did this right. Is there any thing I should of done to get better rips? Now be nice as I am new at this and new at posting here.

Thanks Larry

Vipers

« Reply #307 on: 29 Dec 2010, 10:36 pm »
Hi Larry,

I've just finished ripping alot of CD's using dBpoweramp and you're settings look exactly the same as mine although I couldn't use the C2 error pointers as I don't think my drives supported them and I read if you are not sure don't use it as it could possibly cause some issues, what those are though I'm not sure.

I wish I'd got my arse into gear and ripped my collection before getting my BDP-1 as I've been wasting precious listening time being stuck infront of my PC  :duh:

Enjoy your BDP-1 when it arrives  :thumb:

BrysTony

« Reply #308 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:38 pm »
James,
I have been ripping CDs by just copying the files from the CD to a thumbdrive.  I set up the directory structure so that artists are in a folder, albums in a sub folder which contains the songs from that album.  When I look at the structure on the computer everything is correct as to song order.  However, when I play an album on the BDP-1 that has more than 10 songs its' logic plays the songs as follows: Example 12 song album - Songs 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.  I think your software guys should look at that for a fix.  Do you agree?
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #309 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm »
James,
I have been ripping CDs by just copying the files from the CD to a thumbdrive.  I set up the directory structure so that artists are in a folder, albums in a sub folder which contains the songs from that album.  When I look at the structure on the computer everything is correct as to song order.  However, when I play an album on the BDP-1 that has more than 10 songs its' logic plays the songs as follows: Example 12 song album - Songs 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.  I think your software guys should look at that for a fix.  Do you agree?
Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes it has to do with the fact that the computer reads a 0 before a 1. When you rip a CD they are numbered 01, 02, 03 etc. then 10 to 11 etc.  If there is no 0 in front of the first 9 songs it reads the 1 in the 10 first and places it at the top of the list as well as the 1 in the first song.  When I rip with bdpoweramp it comes up fine but I rip to my hardrive first then transfer it to the thumbdrive.

Just go to the file name and stick a 0 in front of the first 9 songs if you do not want to re-rip.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #310 on: 31 Dec 2010, 01:26 pm »
Hi Tony,

Yes it has to do with the fact that the computer reads a 0 before a 1. When you rip a CD they are numbered 01, 02, 03 etc. then 10 to 11 etc.  If there is no 0 in front of the first 9 songs it reads the 1 in the 10 first and places it at the top of the list as well as the 1 in the first song.  When I rip with bdpoweramp it comes up fine but I rip to my hardrive first then transfer it to the thumbdrive.

Just go to the file name and stick a 0 in front of the first 9 songs if you do not want to re-rip.

james

James,
Thanks for the response.  I understand what it is doing.  Are you saying that when you rip with dbPoweramp it adds the 0 in front of the 1, 2, etc.?  Unfortunately, I cannot use dbPoweramp with my Apple iMac.  The order on the thumbdrive is correct but the BDP changes it.  Is there a reason that the BDP-1 needs to reorder before playing an album?  It does not change order of a playlist.
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #311 on: 31 Dec 2010, 01:28 pm »
Hi Tony,

I am not familiar with how MAC does it but any rips I have done on a number of different ripping programs always places the 0 in front of the first 9 songs automatically.  Are you using iTunes to do the ripping?

james

BrysTony

« Reply #312 on: 31 Dec 2010, 01:35 pm »
Hi Tony,

I am not familiar with how MAC does it but any rips I have done on a number of different ripping programs always places the 0 in front of the first 9 songs automatically.  Are you using iTunes to do the ripping?

james

No, I am just copying files from the CD drive to a thumbdrive using Finder (Apple equivalent of Windows Explorer).  Does anyone know of a ripping program for MAC computers that is comparable to dbPoweramp?
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #313 on: 31 Dec 2010, 01:57 pm »
Hi Tony,

I just tried ripping an Oscar Peterson CD to iTunes then transferred it to the thumb-drive (drag and drop) on my MACBOOK Pro Laptop and it did insert the 0's in front of the songs.

I did notice when it was ripping it though that it ripped it in reverse alphabetical order rather than by the numbers 1-7?

james

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2010, 03:20 pm by James Tanner »

BrysTony

« Reply #314 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:07 pm »
OK - Thanks!  I'll keep playing around with it, meanwhile I am really enjoying the music from the BDP-1   :thumb:
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #315 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:19 pm »
OK - Thanks!  I'll keep playing around with it, meanwhile I am really enjoying the music from the BDP-1   :thumb:
Tony

Yes I agree -  if all else fails just listen to it :thumb: :)

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #316 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:28 pm »
December, 31st 2010

Memo: Bryston Dealer Feedback
Subject: New BDP-1 Digital Player

BDP-1 First Impressions

Hi James -

How often does an affordable audio product come along that is such an improvement you don’t know quite what to say? Every several years or so perhaps? Well, the new Bryston BDP-1 digital player is one of these rare products that I have come across that is destined be one of the digital products of the year. It is clearly one of the best products I have added to my system in many, many years.

Typically, most of my previous equipment upgrades are quite enjoyable and exhibit a very good Return On Investment (ROI). This new player is in a completely different category as it clearly exceeds my expectations in more musically related ways than I would have ever imagined. The new digital player uncovers such wonderful sounding musical details in such a natural way that it has taken me by surprise. The player is simply a “musical magnifier”. This is somewhat analogous to walking into the recording studio during a live session instead of listening through a proverbial window with veils. Everything and I mean everything, just comes alive with musical energy including dimensionality, space, air, instrument tonalities, weight, extremely low-level detail and much more. There is more harmonically rich “meat on the bones” with all of the music played through this player. The player also brings new meaning to the “black background” phenomena. The music literally “pops out” from a dead quiet background.

To no surprise, the high rez Chesky recordings that Bryston provides on a memory stick are something special. The high rez files allow me to get even closer to the music than ever before. Shockingly, the improvement of properly ripped CDs to a flash drive and played back though the player is extremely noteworthy (no pun intended). I totally agree with Norm Chesky’s assessment below:                                                           

“But when I take home a USB drive and plug it in all of a sudden the quality of the entire system goes up 25%. Everything locks in. It’s smoother, and resolution is increased and you hear low level detail. Things don’t sound digital!”

So, what equipment upgrades or new additions would add a 25% improvement in sound quality to your current well-tuned audio system for $2,150? Not many, aye? I would humbly suggest even the most jaded inmates to give this player a listen as they are in for a real treat.

Kudos to James and all of the Bryston design team members for providing this wonderful sounding “musical magnifier” at an affordable price. I will provide follow-up observations early next year.

Regards,
Dan E.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #317 on: 31 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm »
...we always knew it :green:!

al.

Napalm

« Reply #318 on: 31 Dec 2010, 09:02 pm »
So, what equipment upgrades or new additions would add a 25% improvement in sound quality to your current well-tuned audio system for $2,150?

According to Werd there's a magic power cord that does exactly that  :green:

:jester:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #319 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:00 pm »
Hi Folks,

BRYSTON BDA-1 DAC and BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER get "Gear That Impressed in 2010 Award"

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2011/01/gears-that-impressed-in-2010.html

james