BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

Rapt

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #220 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:22 pm »
Thats a good question but I know the engineers chose the AES-EBU for performance reasons and it was a fight just to get them to include BNC :D

james

Well thats not a NO  :thumb:  Tell your engineers you have one usb bdp-1 sold and that should cover some of the R&D  :lol:

Vipers

« Reply #221 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:30 pm »
Beatles Apple USB on BDP-1 demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_AiLmlLY6k&feature=related

james

Great series of BDP-1 video's James, very informative, now I just need to get my hands on one, hopefully tomorrow  :D

Vipers

« Reply #222 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
James, out of interest, I'm looking to get the whole Beatles back catalogue, would you recommend the USB or the remastered CD's, then maybe rip them to Flac, as I like the idea of the Hi Res versions on the USB but also like the idea of having a hard copy with the CD's.?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #223 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:38 pm »
James, out of interest, I'm looking to get the whole Beatles back catalogue, would you recommend the USB or the remastered CD's, then maybe rip them to Flac, as I like the idea of the Hi Res versions on the USB but also like the idea of having a hard copy with the CD's.?

Thanks.

That's a really good question and I have yet to hear any comparison.  The benefit the USB has is it is 44.1 (same as the CD) but is 24 bit (CD is 16 bit I believe).

james

Rupret

« Reply #224 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm »
I saw this post so I took a look/listen.

I have both the 24 bit Beatles on USB and the Remastered 16 bit Beatles ripped to flac.  Through the BDP-1 I listened to a few songs on Sgt Pepper's for diversity and Eleanor Rigby for strings.  To me, the 24 bit sounds marginally better than the 16 bit but I'm not sure that I could tell the difference if blindfolded.  They both sound good to me but I don't have the ears of a 20 year old which could be a factor. 

The 24 bit USB Beatles costs more but if that isn't an issue then you could always create the CD's from flac files on the USB stick.

mr_bill

« Reply #225 on: 21 Dec 2010, 11:47 pm »
Is the USB set the 'Stereo' set or the 'Mono' set?

alinto

« Reply #226 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:52 am »
I believe it is the stereo set. I have both the mono beatles, usb beatles and a few albums of the stereo remastered beatles. I find the usb beatles to sound better than the few stereo beatles cds that i bought.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #227 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:11 pm »
Thats a good question but I know the engineers chose the AES-EBU for performance reasons and it was a fight just to get them to include BNC :D

james

James,

nice video! but while you are demonstrating the BDP-1 the AES/EBU output is not in use... :wink: :green:

al, smart ass.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #228 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:24 pm »

Napalm

« Reply #229 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:17 pm »
If you're canuck and plan to get a BDP.... do it before the government taxes it:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5531/125/

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #230 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

One of the issues that has come up over my videos has to do with me saying that streamimg is limited to lower resolution files.  Some have even refered to my comments as "rubbish" :cry:

So just to be clear I was refering to streaming over wi-fi - it has been my experience that anything about 44.1 starts having problems with dropouts etc. Streaming using an Ethernet hard connection does not have those issues (like Linn does)  as far as I know.

So I guess I should have been clearer but if anyone out there can enlighten me about streaming high resolution files over wi-fi I would love to hear from them.

james

Napalm

« Reply #231 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm »

So I guess I should have been clearer but if anyone out there can enlighten me about streaming high resolution files over wi-fi I would love to hear from them.

Happy to oblige. Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play#UPnP_AV_standards

at the "PnP MediaServer DCP" thang.

You can have 2 kinds of "streaming".

One is broadcasting/multicast. A server sends a stream of data over the network at its own pace, with no handshake protocol with the clients. This regardless if there are clients listening or not, or if those clients are getting all the packets or only some of them. In such setup the client tries to render synchronous with the stream it receives and if there are any transmission errors or delays they are non recoverable. You'll hear clicks, static and see pixelation or macroblocks when it occurs. It's pretty much like digital TV over-the-air.

Then you can have streaming with handshake protocol and where the client controls the server/stream. Here the server will stream at a pace controlled by the client, and will repeat transmission of packets when requested as to correct errors. Typically the client has a buffer (let's say enough for 2-3 seconds of video/audio) and receives the data in advance in this buffer. It renders it according to its own clock and when the buffer tends to empty it requests more data from the server. This would work over wi-fi. I am successfully viewing using DLNA (upnp thing) HD video from my NAS over 5GHz Wi-Fi. With 10,000 Kbps video streams + 385 Kbps audio I don't see any hiccups. Should be plenty enough for audio only.

Nap.

Napalm

« Reply #232 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:21 pm »
just to add. with option 1 you can have multiple clients rendering the same stream at same time. this is how internet multicast or videoconference works.

with option 2 you can have only 1 client per stream. So let's say I have 2 TVs and want to see same movie on both, the NAS box would have to send the data twice, one copy for each client.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #233 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
Happy to oblige. Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play#UPnP_AV_standards

at the "PnP MediaServer DCP" thang.

You can have 2 kinds of "streaming".

One is broadcasting/multicast. A server sends a stream of data over the network at its own pace, with no handshake protocol with the clients. This regardless if there are clients listening or not, or if those clients are getting all the packets or only some of them. In such setup the client tries to render synchronous with the stream it receives and if there are any transmission errors or delays they are non recoverable. You'll hear clicks, static and see pixelation or macroblocks when it occurs. It's pretty much like digital TV over-the-air.

Then you can have streaming with handshake protocol and where the client controls the server/stream. Here the server will stream at a pace controlled by the client, and will repeat transmission of packets when requested as to correct errors. Typically the client has a buffer (let's say enough for 2-3 seconds of video/audio) and receives the data in advance in this buffer. It renders it according to its own clock and when the buffer tends to empty it requests more data from the server. This would work over wi-fi. I am successfully viewing using DLNA (upnp thing) HD video from my NAS over 5GHz Wi-Fi. With 10,000 Kbps video streams + 385 Kbps audio I don't see any hiccups. Should be plenty enough for audio only.

Nap.

Hi Nap,

Thanks - I stand corrected - so streaming 192/24 files over the home network wirelessly is not an issue. I guess there right - the video is rubbish :duh:

james

werd

« Reply #234 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:32 pm »
^^^^^

I would say that it heavily depends on how many other people are on the network and their use also

Napalm

« Reply #235 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:35 pm »
^^^^^

I would say that it heavily depends on how many other people are on the network and their use also

Yes. That's why you would want a dual 2.4/5GHz router and set your computers on 2.4GHz and your DLNA client on 5GHz.

Nap.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #236 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:45 pm »
Hi Nap,

Thanks - I stand corrected - so streaming 192/24 files over the home network wirelessly is not an issue. I guess there right - the video is rubbish :duh:

james

Well... Not rubbish, just not well informed. No problem, just make new ones (and while you do make it look a little more professional, no dangling stuff in the pocket of your shirt, stand next to the gear and not sit while talking, find a way to show what happens on the screens of the I-Fruit toy without turning your back to the viewers, rehearse your text a few times so there are no "uhh's" and "self corrections" and such, put the camera on a camera stand so the picture does not wobble all over the place and make separate close ups of the things you want to show...).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #237 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:51 pm »
Well... Not rubbish, just not well informed. No problem, just make new ones (and while you do make it look a little more professional, no dangling stuff in the pocket of your shirt, stand next to the gear and not sit while talking, find a way to show what happens on the screens of the I-Fruit toy without turning your back to the viewers, rehearse your text a few times so there are no "uhh's" and "self corrections" and such, put the camera on a camera stand so the picture does not wobble all over the place and make separate close ups of the things you want to show...).

Gee's tough crowd - thank god I'm not in show biz :D

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #238 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:56 pm »
i started the "streaming vs non streaming" thread to get exactly that discussion. but if it goes on here...it's ok with me :thumb:

good inputs Nap, btw!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #239 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm »
i started the "streaming vs non streaming" thread to get exactly that discussion. but if it goes on here...it's ok with me :thumb:

good inputs Nap, btw!

al.

hi Al,

Yes I have asked our engineering guys to comment as well - should be informative.

james