BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

pimandro

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #760 on: 26 Mar 2011, 09:52 am »
Thanks, I sent the e-mail, hopefully good

caberxx

« Reply #761 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:01 pm »
I need some advice re which USB hard drive to use with the BDP-1.  I need one that uses a USB-B connector, and one that is USB powered.  I've no luck in finding such a thing.  Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

terrycym

« Reply #762 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:10 pm »
Anything up to 500GBytes is usually self powered nowadays
When you look at the box for contents, make sure  it doesn't include mains leads or external power supplies.

Quite a few have already been mentiond in this sub group. Just search or use Google like everybody else.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=self+powered+usb+drive&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&rlz=

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #763 on: 28 Mar 2011, 04:31 pm »
I need some advice re which USB hard drive to use with the BDP-1.  I need one that uses a USB-B connector, and one that is USB powered.  I've no luck in finding such a thing.  Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Highly recommend the SEAGATE 2.5 HHD USB selfpowered drives.  Have used up to the 750G version without issues.  I recommend using say 2-500GB drives over a single 1TB drive.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #764 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:17 pm »
James,

I have a quick question for you.  I’m trying to figure out what type of hard drive to use with the Bryston BDP-1.  Is it better to have a USB powered drive or one that is plugged into an outlet?  On the one hand, the wall plug in type would draw no power from the Bryston and would have all the power it needs (I suspect the USB output on the Bryston may be pushed a bit if asked to power a hard drive).  On the other hand, I’ve heard some people say that the AC transformers used in hard drives can introduce interference, etc. to the music.  What’s your view?

BTW, I tested the BDP/BDA combo this weekend against my Classe CDP202.  The Bryston was louder, so I need to turn it down when I switched back and forth.  However, the Bryston combo had a much wider sound stage.  The Classe sound almost restrained compared to the Bryston. 

I’ll be ordering a set.

Michael S. Hart

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #765 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:13 pm »
Hi James

Needless to say, I hang out with guys who can afford the toys.

This past weekend, we hooked up a Krell, Simaudio & Audio Research CD Player`s to my system but not thru BDA-1 and compared apples to oranges to BDP-1.

BDP-1 not only performed better but stomped on two of the CD Players - some feedback for you - BDP-1 is an amazing product.

Rodney

saveloy

« Reply #766 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:14 pm »
James,

I picked up my BDP-1 yesterday, and rushed home anxious to get it up & running.
Sat comfortably I queued up a track I know well. 30 seconds in I burst into spontaneous laughter. I simply could not believe what I was hearing! 
The detail resolution, timing, soundstage, dynamics and sheer musicality are breathtaking. It sounds AMAZING.
It is so far ahead of even my high expectations, that it is very difficult to put together words that will do the Bdp-1 justice........
It does not sound digital.  In fact, to me it sounds like the greatest turntable I've ever heard. There is a smoothness, warmth and control that is intoxicating. Stunning!  I've not felt this emotional since I was touched for the first time in my happy area.
I absolutely love love love it.

Huge respect to you and Bryston, James.  And thank you so very much for producing such a beautiful product.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #767 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:31 pm »
James,

I picked up my BDP-1 yesterday, and rushed home anxious to get it up & running.
Sat comfortably I queued up a track I know well. 30 seconds in I burst into spontaneous laughter. I simply could not believe what I was hearing! 
The detail resolution, timing, soundstage, dynamics and sheer musicality are breathtaking. It sounds AMAZING.
It is so far ahead of even my high expectations, that it is very difficult to put together words that will do the Bdp-1 justice........
It does not sound digital.  In fact, to me it sounds like the greatest turntable I've ever heard. There is a smoothness, warmth and control that is intoxicating. Stunning!  I've not felt this emotional since I was touched for the first time in my happy area.

Huge respect to you and Bryston, James.  And thank you so very much for producing such a beautiful product.

Kyri

WOW - what can I say - THANKS :thumb:

james

saveloy

« Reply #768 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
James,

You are very welcome. I'm presently at work and frustrated that I'm not in its company right now.
My friend made time last night to be my listening partner. He was as stunned as I.
It has certainly focused his attention with regard to his future music listening.
He left just before midnight.  I carried on past 1am!

I'm still in a bit of a shocked state. And I'm not going to complain about that.

Kyri

Vipers

« Reply #769 on: 1 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm »
There is a smoothness, warmth and control that is intoxicating. Stunning!  I've not felt this emotional since I was touched for the first time in my happy area.
Kyri

That has got to be the HiFi quote of the century, If the BDP-1 was a film that would have to be put on the advertising posters, fantastic  :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the BDP-1 club Kyri  :thumb:

pimandro

« Reply #770 on: 1 Apr 2011, 10:29 pm »
Hello guys, I solved it with logitech now control both the BDA that bdp1 smoothly, logitech a great service excellent assistance  :thumb:

Alpha10

« Reply #771 on: 2 Apr 2011, 07:35 am »
Hello guys, I solved it with logitech now control both the BDA that bdp1 smoothly, logitech a great service excellent assistance  :thumb:

Me to, I forgot to say, logitech support has been fantastic again. I can now skip and navigate the BDP with my Harmony, fabulous  :)

Cheers

saveloy

« Reply #772 on: 2 Apr 2011, 08:18 am »
That has got to be the HiFi quote of the century, If the BDP-1 was a film that would have to be put on the advertising posters, fantastic  :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the BDP-1 club Kyri  :thumb:

Vipers,

It isn't exactly 'Hi-Fi Choice' journalism, but thanks very much!

Kyri

klao

« Reply #773 on: 12 Apr 2011, 09:38 am »
After receiving Bryston DAC last week, I just got a real good chance to sit down and seriously listened (and am listening) to the BDP-1 & BDA-1 combo.

I think I can hear most of the details, timbre, and all the musicality and excitement that come with very good vinyl playback.  Now I don't regret that my wife has prohibited me from investing in the analogue system and vinyl records when I re-started this hobby 7 years ago.

Thanks to her and Bryston (BDP-1) for saving me lots of of money (and space)!   :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #774 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:03 pm »
Hi James: 

I’ve liked my BDP-1 from day one, as I reported to you after being one of the first to receive a unit. But I was having problems, especially because I stubbornly wanted to use a large hard drive and be able to control it seamlessly.  Slow to load. Some defective tracks. Music client not that easy to use and elegant. I wasn’t able to put all this together until yesterday.

First, the new firmware upgrade makes the unit 100% more usable for customers like me who have large databases (15,723 flac files). No more long waits to load. Takes less time than booting up my computer.

Second, I re-converted my WMA lossless database again to flac files at compression level 4, and this time set up proper folders. Easier to use, and my lousy ears seem to detect a better sound in terms of stability of the soundstage particularly.

Third, took your advice and bought a 2.5 inch 1.5TB Seagate HD. Better in all respects – quieter, smaller footprint.

Fourth, my iPod Touch with MPod app simply wasn’t working right. Tried everything (including taking a hike to Vancouver to get an exchange), but nothing solved the problem until I bought a new router yesterday.

Now it has all come together. MPod works perfectly, with the added advantage of access to everything else I want while listening to music – e-reader, Internet. I am able to listen to my music, in higher quality, exactly as I want to and with greater convenience than I had with my former digital player (Roku M2000).

Thanks for your help and for the BDP-1 which now, for me, is pure magic in a box. :thumb:

David Werthman

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #775 on: 12 Apr 2011, 05:35 pm »
Hi James,

I recently set up the BDP-1 with my BDA-1 and needless to say my system has never sounded better.  Having said that, I'm now acutely aware that my little Linn system has reached her ceiling. I'm sure the digital end is now far outpacing the analog side.

Peter de Hoog MAIBC MRAIC
de Hoog and Kierulf architects

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #776 on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:51 pm »
From our Graphics guy:

Hi James,

I should have few pics of BHP1 for you on Monday.  One with BP-26 knob and one with olderstyle BP-25 knob black and silver.

Also, can you quote me a price on the BDP1  19 silver 120v. I had the prototype for a week and now I can't listen to music now unless it is being played through the BDP1, feel like I'm missing 1/2 the music now!.................thanks a lot bryston!  lol.   

Garry

Alpha10

« Reply #777 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:54 pm »
From our Graphics guy:

Hi James,

I should have few pics of BHP1 for you on Monday.  One with BP-26 knob and one with olderstyle BP-25 knob black and silver.

Also, can you quote me a price on the BDP1  19 silver 120v. I had the prototype for a week and now I can't listen to music now unless it is being played through the BDP1, feel like I'm missing 1/2 the music now!.................thanks a lot bryston!  lol.   

Garry

Have I missed something, what is the BHP1??

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #778 on: 15 Apr 2011, 04:09 pm »

Have I missed something, what is the BHP1??

Cheers

Hi,

The new Bryston Headphone Preamp BHP-1

james

Alpha10

« Reply #779 on: 15 Apr 2011, 04:15 pm »
Hi,

The new Bryston Headphone Preamp BHP-1

james

Thank you, I was just getting my hopes up that it was the drive enclosure for the BDP1, but couldn't see why you would want a volume control... :oops:

Then thought, maybe it is a nice simple Bryston Hometheatre/bypass Preamp  :xmas:

Cheers