NFL 2023/24

jjss49

Re: NFL 2023/24
« Reply #120 on: 6 Nov 2023, 03:38 pm »
there is no doubt that consistency and sensibility have never been a strong point in nfl (and many other league) rules -- makes ones head spin sometimes how stupid it all can be

it was a wild (and excellent) sunday of football, many big face offs, with much 'truth' revealed (much of which we suspected or already knew)

-- eagles just are a beast of team, both lines are incredibly good, they win ugly again and again despite arguably being outplayed
-- cowgirls are a good team, maybe even a very good team, dak played as well as i have ever seen him play, but alas, cannot deliver the w
-- kc, ravens, cincy are real deal contenders...  bills, fish, seahawks are on a lower tier
-- belichick is officially cooked, its over, whatever magic there was, is long gone... time to fade out into the sunset, emperor has no clothes left on

vrao81

« Reply #121 on: 6 Nov 2023, 06:10 pm »
Billy B can't win without Tommy!

twitch54

« Reply #122 on: 6 Nov 2023, 09:49 pm »
Bills, one word, Pathetic !

rodge827

« Reply #123 on: 6 Nov 2023, 10:29 pm »
Yes the Iggles are winning ugly! Last year they looked to be having a lot more fun playing the game. This year will all the high expectations it’s more business like. Heck they really tried hard to loose yesterday but as fate would have it they (and the refs) pulled it out! Bye week for them and a 5 game stretch of tough games starting in KC.
Fly Iggles Fly

Big Red Machine

« Reply #124 on: 7 Nov 2023, 04:08 pm »
If you take a step back, this is probably the most fun season in some time. Entertainment left and right, week-in, week-out.

charmerci

« Reply #125 on: 7 Nov 2023, 04:31 pm »
Holy crap! Anyone see the TB/Houston game??? :o
I thought it was over with less than a minute left and stopped watching. :o

jjss49

« Reply #126 on: 8 Nov 2023, 03:50 pm »
agree -- it is an immensely entertaining season, so many interesting storylines, vicious competition at the top of the pile

if eagles can get back to the big game it will be immensely impressive... to deliver under pressure of great expectations... the next few games after their bye will be the gauntlet though... will be something to watch

bills, well, every year its the same, promise unfulfilled ... it is shame that josh allen's prime is being wasted

kc is so much fun to watch - like all dynastic teams, they evolve, figure out how win in different ways as personnel changes, it is amazing they have kept up the excellence after choosing not to re-sign tyreek

new england... well tb12 gronk and vince wilfork ain't walkin back in thru dat door!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #127 on: 10 Nov 2023, 12:17 pm »
The Bears beat the Panthers 16-13 on TNF last night.  Although I'll admit that I slept through a good bit of it, from the highlights (sic) and what I did see of the game there was one solitary highlight play, the 76 yard return for a TD.  Such is the state of the NFL today that unless you're watching the front runners it's nearly unbearable.  Last Thursday watching my home team Steelers win in what was a much better game it was still horrible sports TV.  I have thoughts on why modern NFL TV is often so bad interspersed with only a couple great games and it will lies with 356 Park Ave, but what do you guys think?

rodge827

« Reply #128 on: 10 Nov 2023, 01:18 pm »
To me watching a “bad” NFL game is still better than the garbage TV the networks are putting out. IMHO live sports is still the best drama going. I was about 70% engaged in last nights game reading news on my phone and a little nodding off. FWIW I’m not a big fan of Thursday night games never have been! Players need more time to heal up and get some practice in. Cant recall the last “great”’TNF game. They always seem to be a little lackluster. The NFL wants parody and increased viewership kinda a double edged sword. Limit what you can spend but still put out a great product? Not going to happen for all teams! The NFL in Europe? Jury is still out on this one!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #129 on: 13 Nov 2023, 12:21 pm »
What we know is that there are not 32 people in America who can play quarterback in the NFL at a high level under the current rules.  Before 1976 QBs mostly handed off to Franco Harris or Jim Brown.  Joe Namath didn't throw a single pass in the fourth quarter of his Superbowl win, the Steelers had five shutouts in the 1976 season.  But the NFL wanted scoring because that's what fans wanted.  Which has led to a derth of talent behind center and rules where you aren't allowed to tackle the QB with a tackle that's allowed anywhere else on the field.  DBs are flagged for holding their position on the field as if they have to get out of the way if the receiver wants that space.  Passers, pass rushers, and elite receivers dominate the league and there aren't enough people who can do it.   Thus we have 5 or 6 teams at the top with all the others in the middle fighting for scraps.

twitch54

« Reply #130 on: 13 Nov 2023, 03:33 pm »
What we know is that there are not 32 people in America who can play quarterback in the NFL at a high level under the current rules.  Before 1976 QBs mostly handed off to Franco Harris or Jim Brown.  Joe Namath didn't throw a single pass in the fourth quarter of his Superbowl win, the Steelers had five shutouts in the 1976 season.  But the NFL wanted scoring because that's what fans wanted.  Which has led to a derth of talent behind center and rules where you aren't allowed to tackle the QB with a tackle that's allowed anywhere else on the field.  DBs are flagged for holding their position on the field as if they have to get out of the way if the receiver wants that space.  Passers, pass rushers, and elite receivers dominate the league and there aren't enough people who can do it.   Thus we have 5 or 6 teams at the top with all the others in the middle fighting for scraps.

Well said 'roll' and therein lies why I didn't watch a single minute yesterday. Enjoyed mulching leaves and then watching the NHRA finals from Pomona. Big Congrats to Doug Kalitta, you finally did it buddy !!

vrao81

« Reply #131 on: 14 Nov 2023, 01:03 pm »
Broncos beat Bill's! McDermott may very well get fired!

twitch54

« Reply #132 on: 14 Nov 2023, 01:53 pm »
Broncos beat Bill's! McDermott may very well get fired!

Fired ?? hell , he should never have been hired !!!! The Bills are certifiably pathetic and if Pegula doesn't can him this morning he becomes the 'lead pathetic' !!

Freo-1

« Reply #133 on: 14 Nov 2023, 02:42 pm »

Well, it looks like the so called experts were wrong about Jared Goff.  He was dubbed finished in LA.  That judgement was obviously wrong.  The Lions are finally seeing a resurgence, and Goff is a major reason for their success. 

I'm old school.  Running the football is vital (IMHO) to a successful offense.

VinceT

« Reply #134 on: 14 Nov 2023, 03:01 pm »

Well, it looks like the so called experts were wrong about Jared Goff.  He was dubbed finished in LA.  That judgement was obviously wrong.  The Lions are finally seeing a resurgence, and Goff is a major reason for their success. 

I'm old school.  Running the football is vital (IMHO) to a successful offense.

Lifelong Lions fan here

This is uncharted territory for us

vrao81

« Reply #135 on: 14 Nov 2023, 03:09 pm »
Unfortunately they may find a way to screw it all up. Same old Lions.

Speaking of coaches on the hot seat, Daboll's seat is burning. Has anyone gone from coach of the year to fired the next??

jjss49

« Reply #136 on: 14 Nov 2023, 04:21 pm »
can we count to 12?   :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

this is really really bad

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #137 on: 14 Nov 2023, 04:30 pm »
Coaches on the hot seat?  Oh my.  Belichick is number one, followed by Staley, McDermott, Dabol, Payton, Reich, Rivera.  Any more?  It would almost be easier to list the head coaches in safe positions.  It seems there are about as many qualified head coaches as there are good quarterbacks, funny how that matches up almost every year.

There's not a lot of strategy in the NFL.  Most every offense runs a wide zone concept, most every defense runs two deep zones.  The determinate factor is turnovers.  If you have a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and an edge rusher who makes the other guy turn over the ball you're going to win in the NFL.

vrao81

« Reply #138 on: 14 Nov 2023, 05:25 pm »
Bills fired their OC

twitch54

« Reply #139 on: 14 Nov 2023, 06:23 pm »
Bills fired their OC

token gesture, while Dorsey deserved it the buck stops with McDermott. At least Marv got them to the 'dance', send Opie (McDermott) back to Mayberry RFD for some of Aunt Bea's homemade cookies !