PC - Foobar - USB - Onkyo Receiver - can it work?

Sparky14

PC - Foobar - USB - Onkyo Receiver - can it work?
« on: 15 Apr 2022, 04:01 pm »
So my primary playback route is PC (Foobar2000) - USB DAC (Sabaj D5) - Amp - Speakers.

There's an Onkyo TX-NR646 for sale nearby. Is it possible to playback from the PC (Foobar) via USB input on the Onkyo?  I bought an Integra receiver a while ago planning on the same route, but the Integra would only allow USB playback from a flash drive. I am wondering if the Onkyo was the same.

Thanks!

Phil A

Re: PC - Foobar - USB - Onkyo Receiver - can it work?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2022, 04:06 pm »
The Onkyo (when connected to your network, whichever way - e.g. ethernet to powerline adapter) can read music files on the network.  There's more details here (and in the manual) - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vTJ9K909iGm/p_580TXN646/Onkyo-TX-NR646.html#Network%20&%20Tuner%20Functions

Sparky14

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2022, 04:14 pm »
Thanks Phil,

If I am not mistaken, having the Onkyo read files from the network means you still have to navigate using the Onkyo system, correct? If you have thousands of audio files on the network, that would be prohibitive. 

I just want to feed the USB out from the computer directly to the USB input on the Onkyo that way I can continue to use Foobar2000 for control. Possible?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2022, 06:03 pm »
Thanks Phil,

If I am not mistaken, having the Onkyo read files from the network means you still have to navigate using the Onkyo system, correct? If you have thousands of audio files on the network, that would be prohibitive. 

I just want to feed the USB out from the computer directly to the USB input on the Onkyo that way I can continue to use Foobar2000 for control. Possible?

There's threads and videos out there - e.g.  https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=104847.0   or     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRQ3dP0YKY   I have not read (or viewed) most of them.  When I play things via DLNA, which is not often, I use a tablet or my phone.  For example, my bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers and I have an Oppo 103D.  DS Audio is an App that works with my Synology NAS.  I have JRiver on the PC and JRemote (a cheap App or Gizmo which is free) can be used and configured for DLNA.  I used to have a Hegel Integrated Amp, DAC/Nework player in a secondary system and they recommended Bubble UPNP, which was on my Android tablet.  So there's probably a bunch of generic DLNA players out there.  I have an Onkyo 797 currenty in my UHD HT but rarely use that for music.  If I did play music files, I'd use my Panasonic 9000 and DS Audio (and I've used it but once or twice and not in a bit).  I have an Onkyo 3100 in the main system but don't use it for music (and also my Panasonic 820 is not used for music) as I have a Lumin network file player and a separate DAC.  I use internet radio on some occasions from my old Onkyo 1008 in the bedroom on the outdoor speakers (but use the Oppo if I want to play files and have the App on my phone).  My upstairs bonus room also has a Panasonic 820 and I have played files (I guess I could also do that on my Marantz 5010 but have not).  In another secondary system, I have a small fanless PC running JRiver and use the JRemote App.  I also have a modded Carver C-9 (Sonic Hologram Generator) running through an Oppo 103D and when I want to play files that way I use the Oppo App.  The key if one uses some sort of DLNA App is organization of your folders (e.g. Rock no hi-rez, Rock hi-rez, Jazz instrumental, Jazz Vocals, Jazz Fusion or whatever makes sense to you).

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2022, 08:48 pm »

Yes, you can use the computer with foobar to play music into the Onkyo, but probably not using the USB input.

Right now I am listening to Ruam, the latest Tangerine Dream album, using PC foobar > HDMI > Surround Processor

Sparky14

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2022, 09:44 pm »
Right, I am wanting to use the Onkyo's 384/32/DSD capable DAC for HiRez playback this way. Right now for HiRez playback, it is Foobar2000 on the PC connected via USB cable to a USB DAC, USB DAC decodes and then RCA out to the receiver.

I'd like to skip the USB DAC and go straight to the USB input on the Onkyo since it has a capable DAC already.

I just don't know enough technically to know why the Onkyo USB input does not feed into the DAC the same way a specific USB DAC does. The Onkyo will read from a flash drive though, so it can process a HiRez file via USB.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2022, 11:31 pm »
I built all my computer based music servers and use the JRiver player for music. Even though JRiver is confusing at times, Foobar2000 is mind boggling how hard it is to configure so I stopped using it. I use an Anthem AVM60 processor instead of a receiver but the concept is the same. Whenever I did a comparison between the Anthem and my 10 year old Van Alstine DAC, the DAC has always sounded clearer with greater definition and tighter, deeper base. All music through the Anthem sounds muddy by comparison, but it does killer home theater.

I think you will find out the Sabaj D5 has a lot better DAC than the Onkyo.

HDMI may still work but you would probably have to switch players. I use my computer to play video files and use the free VLC Media Player. The audio settings can be configured to "HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough". The untouched digital audio is then processed by the Anthem. Unfortunately VLC can't read DSD files.

You will need to find a player with HDMI passthrough that will also play DSD (JRiver?). Or maybe the Onkyo USB input will work, it's an experiment.

AVS Forum has a couple of threads to explore:

The Official Onkyo 2015 TX-NR545/646/747/848 Thread
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the-official-onkyo-2015-tx-nr545-646-747-848-thread.2002666/

Onkyo TX-NR646 Owners Thread

https://www.avforums.com/threads/onkyo-tx-nr646-owners-thread.1980557/

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2022, 11:41 pm »
From the above manual.

laying music files from a computer
● AirPlay is compatible with iTunes 10.2 or later.
1. Press NET on the remote controller.
2. Turn on your computer and start iTunes.
3. Click the AirPlay icon of iTunes and select this unit
from the list of devices displayed.

Didn't read the whole thing but AirPlay Mac OS was all I came across

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2022, 12:10 am »
it is not possible to feed the USB output from a DAC into the Onkyo or Integra. If you want to feed a digital signal to either you need to use the coaxial or optical digital input on these units. Since there is not a coaxial or optical digital output on your PC you would need to add a converter box connected to the USB port on the computer.

DJB

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2022, 02:05 am »
foobar has dlna component addon i use to play to network reciever
from windows laptop

Sparky14

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2022, 03:49 am »
foobar has dlna component addon i use to play to network reciever
from windows laptop

Thanks, I'll look into that.