Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #60 on: 8 Oct 2013, 01:26 am »
KC beat the Cowboys because of their overwhelming pass rush. Denver nearly lost to them because of their underwhelming pass rush.

If Von Miller is able to keep his head out of butt, he will be able to play in time for the Colts game. Elvis, meanwhile, refuses to help the Broncos. Too bad, because Denver had perhaps the best pass rush tandem in the league before it imploded last summer.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #61 on: 8 Oct 2013, 02:21 am »
How 'bout them Saints? 5-0

The last time the Saints were 5-0 to start the Season, they won the Super Bowl.  :D

Go Saints!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #62 on: 8 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm »
How 'bout them Saints? 5-0

The last time the Saints were 5-0 to start the Season, they won the Super Bowl.  :D

Go Saints!
Right now it looks like they are going to win it again. They have nearly clinched their division. Atlanta is the only potential challenger and they are 4.5 games behind the Saints and fading. That means you are a virtual lock to make the Playoffs. If you can navigate the obstacles presented by other NFC winners, then you will face either the team that you played in the last Superbowl win or the QB you beat and his new team.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #63 on: 13 Oct 2013, 08:05 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 14 Oct 2013, 01:58 am »
KC is formidable and their coach knows the Cowboys well.  The Saints and the Patriots could very well meet again and I would give the edge to the Saints unless it's in Boston.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:00 am »
Talkin to myself here am I?  I positively hate that.  Watched a "team" play tonite.  Seattle (vs. Arizona) just strikes me as a kinetic unit.  Team doesn't quite describe it.  Think they will represent the NFL at the end of the day barring some occurrence that I don't see happening cause of that thing I'm seeing.  Something special going on here.  A vigor that is almost tangible.  Least it is tonite.

jackman

« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:17 pm »
Talkin to myself here am I?  I positively hate that.  Watched a "team" play tonite.  Seattle (vs. Arizona) just strikes me as a kinetic unit.  Team doesn't quite describe it.  Think they will represent the NFL at the end of the day barring some occurrence that I don't see happening cause of that thing I'm seeing.  Something special going on here.  A vigor that is almost tangible.  Least it is tonite.

They are good, but let's not get carried away.  Arizona is a bad team and I'd like to see Seattle beat a good team on the road.  Unfortunately, there are not many good teams in the league this year.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #67 on: 18 Oct 2013, 06:01 pm »
They are good, but let's not get carried away.  Arizona is a bad team and I'd like to see Seattle beat a good team on the road.  Unfortunately, there are not many good teams in the league this year.

While I realize that it is a statistical impossibility, still it seems that 3/4s of the teams are below average. You can't say anybody has a soft schedule because everybody does. Several teams who looked good at the outset are now decimated by injury. And how do you explain the perennial threats who have just about evaporated this year? Giants. Falcons. Steelers. Texans. And the king of the schizophrenics - San Diego. Or is that Carolina?

How do you see the playoffs shaping up? Is it too soon to speculate?

In the AFC, I see NE, Indy & Denver or KC as division winners with either of the last mentioned taking a Wild Card. That leaves AFC North and second wild card as the only questions.

NFC is much less clearly defined and will likely offer more suspense than AFC. I think NO takes the South. Seattle is a solid bet for the West. Dallas is looking good for the East. I would guess Detroit for the North. Wild cards? SF and Chicago?

What's your best guess?                                               

jimdgoulding

« Reply #68 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:24 pm »
While I realize that it is a statistical impossibility, still it seems that 3/4s of the teams are below average. You can't say anybody has a soft schedule because everybody does. Several teams who looked good at the outset are now decimated by injury. And how do you explain the perennial threats who have just about evaporated this year? Giants. Falcons. Steelers. Texans. And the king of the schizophrenics - San Diego. Or is that Carolina?

How do you see the playoffs shaping up? Is it too soon to speculate?

In the AFC, I see NE, Indy & Denver or KC as division winners with either of the last mentioned taking a Wild Card. That leaves AFC North and second wild card as the only questions.

NFC is much less clearly defined and will likely offer more suspense than AFC. I think NO takes the South. Seattle is a solid bet for the West. Dallas is looking good for the East. I would guess Detroit for the North. Wild cards? SF and Chicago?

What's your best guess?                                             
Who woulda thought going into the season that SF might make the playoffs as a wildcard team.  Or, that Houston would be so awful.  Or, that Kansas City would be as good as they are.  What a season.

cab

« Reply #69 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:56 pm »
Green Bay will win the north-the rest of their schedule isn't that tough....they have already beaten Detroit. They should get all their guns back just in time for the playoffs....

jackman

« Reply #70 on: 18 Oct 2013, 10:45 pm »
Green Bay will win the north-the rest of their schedule isn't that tough....they have already beaten Detroit. They should get all their guns back just in time for the playoffs....

Hi Cab, you beat me to it.  The Pack is still the best team in the division and they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way.  They beat Detroit already and will probably beat the Bears in a few weeks, when they meet.  Detroit doesn't impress me, and, I'm sorry to say, the Bears don't either at this point.  My team has some huge holes on defense, due to injuries, and are not scoring as well as they should on offense. 

I'm rooting for KC, Seattle and Indy.  They are young teams and (other than Seattle last year) have not had a lot of success in recent years.  It will be fun to watch the Indy's young QB, Luck, play against the legend, Manning this weeknd (I believe they play this weekend but could be wrong).  Manning is a guaranteed HOF QB and he is putting up video game type numbers this year.  It's a real pleasure to watch him play, even if you are not a Broncos' fan.  I personally hate the Broncos' organization and their horse-toothed jackass GM Elway.  He seems like an arrogant d-bag. 

I'm also a bit shocked at the poor performance of so many teams.  The Giants, still winless this late in the season?!?  The Texans have sucked all year, and Schaub was on the way to being benched before his injury.  It was sad to hear the classless Houston fans cheering Schaub's injury.  Did anyone think they would be so bad this year?  I'm also a bit surprised by how poorly the Niners have looked at times, even though I'm pretty confident they will be a dangerous team to face in the playoffs. 

Cheers,

Jack

Rclark

« Reply #71 on: 18 Oct 2013, 10:48 pm »
Seahawks! Nothing stops this train. Looks like I've got tickets to see them slap down the Saints Dec 3.

cab

« Reply #72 on: 18 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm »
Hi Cab, you beat me to it.  The Pack is still the best team in the division and they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way.  They beat Detroit already and will probably beat the Bears in a few weeks, when they meet. 

Their run defense has really improved and once they have all of their regulars in the secondary, they should be very good all the way around on defense. The run game is for real, and with Aaron Rodgers, the passing game is, well....Aaron Rodgers, enough said.

This team has yet to field a healthy unit. Once they do, I think they will be as good as anyone. Don't forget the Super Bowl run in 2010 when they squeaked in due to lots of injuries and peaked at the right time. Could be a similar scenario this year....Will be interesting to watch....

Freo-1

« Reply #73 on: 19 Oct 2013, 02:29 am »
The Lions are improving.  I think they will beat the Packers when they play them next, as that game will be at home.  I like their chances more than the Bears at this point.  Reggie Bush has had a big impact.  They are playing better, and not getting those stupid penalties like last year. 

The Lions and Packers are the front runners in the North.

mjosef

« Reply #74 on: 19 Oct 2013, 04:15 am »
Go Man. City!
 :lol:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #75 on: 19 Oct 2013, 05:46 am »
All Blacks! Seriously...

Hopefully, the Saints will get to play the Bills this weekend, instead of the refs, like last weekend.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #76 on: 19 Oct 2013, 06:06 am »
(just found out)

Bum Phillips died yesterday. He was 90 years old.

Houston hasn't had a football team since the Oilers left, and the Oilers weren't the same after Bum got fired.

And he got the Saints winning.

RIP, Bum. God knows you earned it.

newzooreview

« Reply #77 on: 19 Oct 2013, 04:48 pm »
All Blacks! Seriously...

Hopefully, the Saints will get to play the Bills this weekend, instead of the refs, like last weekend.

True. But they have a bye this weekend; we'll have to wait another week.

That said, I thought the four and out before the Saints handed it back to the Patriots was a shame. And the three-man line "prevent" defense they played on the Patriots last possession had the typical result: allowed the opposing team to drive quickly down to within scoring distance. If the Saints had played the football in their last two possessions that got them in the lead in the second half they would have kept the lead despite the horrific officiating. With that said, it's always disgusting to see the refs palling it up with a coach like they were doing with Belichick. You would think the NFL would at least discipline the refs to hide their biases more effectively.  :roll:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2013, 06:14 pm »
(just found out)

Bum Phillips died yesterday. He was 90 years old.

Houston hasn't had a football team since the Oilers left, and the Oilers weren't the same after Bum got fired.

And he got the Saints winning.

RIP, Bum. God knows you earned it.

Sad news, indeed. Bum Phillips was a great coach.

When I first started really getting into pro football, Bum Phillips was iconic with his big ol' hat. I remember when Earl Campbell was drafted, and what an impact he made on the entire League. At every opportunity, Earl would recognize Bum as a great coach and mentor.

I also remember the great rivalry between Houston and Dallas. I'll never forget one important game in Dallas Stadium. Bum was asked by a reporter why he was not wearing his signature Stetson. Bum replied "My Mon taught me that it's impolite to wear a hat indoors." Not only did he mean it, but he had just enough indignation in his voice that it was a palpable "dig" at Tom Landry.  8)

I remember when he told a reporter that he only takes his wife to road games "because she's too ugly to kiss goodbye."  :lol:

I'm glad he lived long enough to see the Saints play over .500, and ultimately take the whole thing.

Rest in peace, Bum Phillips. You are missed.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #79 on: 19 Oct 2013, 09:06 pm »

I also remember the great rivalry between Houston and Dallas. I'll never forget one important game in Dallas Stadium. Bum was asked by a reporter why he was not wearing his signature Stetson. Bum replied "My Mon taught me that it's impolite to wear a hat indoors." Not only did he mean it, but he had just enough indignation in his voice that it was a palpable "dig" at Tom Landry. 

The problem with that story is that none of the Dallas stadiums that Landry coached in had a roof.  But to this day, like Coach Phillips, I notice when men wear hats indoors... my mama taught me the same thing.
Regardless, Bum was a fine coach, a good man, and fun interview for reporters throughout the NFL.  He will be missed.