Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

jimdgoulding

Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2013, 11:15 pm »
Don't count myself as a Philly fan, but I think they are gonna rock against the Chiefs tonite.  The Chiefs are a sentimental favorite and I wish em well this year, but I think they're in for it tonite.   

Half time.  Don't mind if I do have to eat my hat.  Go Chiefs!
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2013, 02:13 am by jimdgoulding »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2013, 01:18 am »
What happened to my Giants?
Woof.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 23 Sep 2013, 02:13 am »
What happened to my Giants?
Woof.
It's a team built on the success of the defensive line and a big play offense.  Neither line is performing to its past standards, and Eli is not accurate enough under duress to carry the team by himself.  I'm not surprised at the loss, but stunned at the margin  :o

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2013, 02:29 am »
Looks like the Cowboys are gonna win that division.  On offense, Houston stunk the joint out today.  Matt Shaub is no Joe Flacco.  Love the way the Colts played today and wish em well!!   

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:07 am »
Looks like the Cowboys are gonna win that division.  On offense, Houston stunk the joint out today.  Matt Shaub is no Joe Flacco.  Love the way the Colts played today and wish em well!!
Waaayyyy too early to crown the Cowboys... who are always one or two injuries away from mediocrity or worse.  I don't know what the heck is wrong with your Texans.  Shaub/Flacco, six of one half dozen of the other. Both decent, neither top flight.  Agree that the Colts looked polished, physical, and hungry. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2013, 04:15 am »
Da Bears.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2013, 10:00 am »
Today watching the Packers. Guy catches the ball fine and he is being taken down by an opposing player.  but another opposing player flies in and hit the catcher in the helmet only, with his shoulderpads, and basically gives the catcher a concussion. So the guy dropped the ball due to the hit. No penalty, no foul WTF??
I am sorry  but the guy doing the wacking needs a penalty.. I mean why not just kick the guy in the head while he is at it?
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013, 04:34 pm by Elizabeth »

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:00 pm »
Da Bears.

Da Bears!

3-0 and some of the tough teams on the schedile don't look so tough anymore. They look better every game and I hope they continue to improve.  What happened to the Packers, Skins, Steelers, Niners, and Texans? 

Seahawks, Broncos and Saints look good but there are a lot of bad teams out there. The Giants are pathetic.  I've got tickets for the Bears Giants game!bope the bears don't rest their starters for that one!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:02 pm »
That probably is as good a time as any to rest your starters.  Of those teams listed, I wouldn't count the Packers or the Niners out just yet.  I like Seattle in the West and I'm no SF fan anyway.  They could lose all the rest of their games and I wouldn't shed a tear.  Old Cowboys fan here, I can't help it.  I'm starting to like the Jets with their new QB.  Tampa Bay is looking much better.  Think Miami could become formidable.  Looks like Cincinnati is the one to beat in their conference, not PittsBUG for a change 8).  And I likes Denver large and am happy for Kansas City :).  Alas, my home team Texans are stumbling :(

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:17 pm »
That probably is as good a time as any to rest your starters.  Of those teams listed, I wouldn't count the Packers or the Niners out just yet.  I like Seattle in the West and I'm no SF fan anyway.  They could lose all the rest of their games and I wouldn't shed a tear.  Old Cowboys fan here, I can't help it.  I'm starting to like the Jets with their new QB.  Tampa Bay is looking much better.  Think Miami could become formidable.  Looks like Cincinnati is the one to beat in their conference, not PittsBUG for a change 8).  And I likes Denver large and am happy for Kansas City :).  Alas, my home team Texans are stumbling :(.

Geno Smith had a QB rating of 15 against the Pats.   He looked good against Buffalo but I wouldn't get too excited because they are Buffalo.  And he threw two picks yesterday.  He is probably in the bottom two or three at this stage.  If the Jets could play Buffalo or similar bad teams, he could be an average QB.  I don't hate the Jets but they might be the worst 2-1 team in the league. 

The Cowboys are looking pretty good.  I think Romo gets a lot of flack from Dallas fans, but he's got talent.  If he keeps playing at this level, they could have a great season.  It doesn't hurt that the NFC East is the worst division in football.  What happened to the Skins, Giants and Eagles?  Did anyone see this coming?  Maybe they will turn it around later in the year.  It's still early. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:14 pm »
I don't know about Romo :? :?

He has a good/bad/good/bad/bad/bad games. I just never been high on Romo, I think the Cowboys would be better off with a new draft Quarterback and a new coach. IMO

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:33 pm »
Hard to imagine the Giants rescuing this season after that extreme beatdown from the 0-2 Panthers. Some pundits are suggesting the G-men are deliberately lining up to steal Clowney from the Jags.
Considering that they still have to play the Chiefs, Bolts, Bears, Pack, Lions and Seahawks, in addition to 5 more games in their own division, I think finishing at .500 is a long shot.
Deadskins are the most likely to return to respectability, but the Cowboys are pretty certain to take the division. The NFC wild cards will come from the other divisions, all three of which have two strong contenders for first place. Dallas will probably win their division with a worse W-L than either WC.

It's hard to imagine anybody in the NFC keeping Seattle out of the Superbowl. Currently Denver appears the obvious choice to represent the AFC but 35 years of watching them beat themselves keeps my optimism in check. Nonetheless, if they aren't destroyed by injury, scandal and suspension, the Broncos have the inside track. So who wins if it is Denver vs. Seattle in the BIG GAME?

jackman

« Reply #32 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:41 pm »
Assuming no major injuries to either team, it's hard to not pick the Broncos on a neutral field.  Seattle would probably win at home, the same for Denver, but I like Manning and company on a neutral field.  Seattle's secondary would make it a great game and Wilson just keeps getting better.  It would be fun to watch! 

I just hope the Bears don't have to play Seattle in Seattle.  They have the best home field advantage at the moment. Thankfully there are lots of games to play. The Bears lost their best defensive player, franchise pick Henry Melton last night.  Big loss for a team thin at that position.  They are going to struggle to get pressure without him.

The Ravens lost three in a row last year and still win it all.  The Bears were 7-1 at one point last year and didn't make the playoffs.  The modern nfl keeps things interesting.

Chazro

« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:30 pm »
While I don't believe the Jets will have a winning season, the QB situation bears watching, NFL QB drama is always fun to watch.  Speaking of which, looks like RGIII needs to be benched to be allowed time to heal, poor guy looks like a shadow of himself from last yr to this.  I think the gap between the Manning bros. will truly be manifested this season!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:55 pm »
All good points, Jackman ---- but Peyton Manning has a problem in the postseason. It's not always his fault (he doesn't play defense and neither did anyone else against Baltimore) but he has an iffy record nonetheless. Then, even if he does get to the SB, there is the problem of playing it outdoors --- in N.J.--- in Feb.

None of this spells doom, of course, but from my perspective, Murphy always seems to prevail. I dare not hope lest I curse them. And losing Ryan Clady is a very large injury setback.

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 24 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm »
Hi Macro,
No doubt, there are no sure things in the NFL.  One bad game or big mistake in he post season and your season is over. Manning looks great so far this year and he plays well indoors and outside.

Anything is possible and injuries can change everything.  Bronco fans have good reason to be excited...so far!

cab

« Reply #36 on: 24 Sep 2013, 01:01 pm »
Don't count the Packers out yet.....If they get healthy (yeah, a big if), they might surprise....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 24 Sep 2013, 01:50 pm »
Have you ever heard of Brock Osweiler? He's the only backup if Peyton Manning goes down.

Cab, ole buddy, the Packers are going nowhere this year. They may capture a wildcard spot I'm pretty sure one of those is going to either Atlanta or N.O. and the other is probably SF or Seattle.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 24 Sep 2013, 05:47 pm »
Okay --- times up.

Osweiler was taken by Denver in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft (#57 overall). He's from Kalispell, Montana and played his college ball at ASU. He measures 6'8" and weighs in at 240 lbs. with a very strong passing arm. He's Manning's understudy and an Elway project. If Peyton lasts through next year, young Brock is expected to be ready. He's not quite 23 yrs. old right now so there is a lot of future out there in front of him if he learns well. He's played a few quarters of preseason and done poorly. They're saying he still needs to adjust to the speed of the pro game. I hope that's his only problem. With two hall of fame QBs as mentors and a well developed supporting cast, he will have every opportunity to succeed.

jackman

« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2013, 12:50 am »
Macro,

I wouldn't get my hopes up about that young guy.  Project QBs never work in the NFL.  There are lots of extremely large and athletic guys who have tried and failed.  I don't recall a project making it at quarterback in this league...ever.  Manning represents the Broncos' best chance to win the Super Bowl until they draft or acquire a stud QB.