Fans of the classic Can-Am series

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Fans of the classic Can-Am series
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2013, 04:17 am »
Chaparral 2H:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM56wSPgaWY
Interesting it used snowmobile engines, Porsche used 2 eletric fans to cooling the engine.

This is other rare bird, a euro Formula 5000 monopost and is for sale:
http://jfcracingcom.adhost-temp.com/portfolio/1973-chevron-b24-chassis-b24-73-04-24-72-07

Surtees tells his side of the story on the 2H in the Pete Lyons video. Apparently he wouldn't even get in the car till Jim cut the top open. Then it handled so poorly it went almost immediately into storage.

Hey FRM if you're interested in that Chevron just send me your check & shipping details, those folks are just 20 minutes down the road from me. I'll hand deliver the check, and even test drive it before delivering it to the docks.  :lol:  It's a steal at only $155K.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2013, 04:40 am »
Agree and Similar  to but not in the same league as  Bruce mclaren  .....:)

Good point. I guess I don't put the two in quite the same category. For all his technical expertise/input and skill Donohue didn't actually design the car, which McLaren did. The long term success of the McLarens in the series (and elsewhere), even after his passing in '70, shows how special and diverse a talent he was.  :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:00 am »
Interesting that both families would have members with the August name, something to do with the brewing tradition ?  It was Pabst, of Milwaukee Blue Ribbon fame.  Did a search and came up with this from '76  http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20067132,00.html, and this which doesn't note a date  http://www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/Scarab/Index.htm.    Appears he was a Jr, and I think he had the noted Scarab at the class for demonstrations.

That is interesting.  Maybe the families came from the same region in Germany. 

a.wayne

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:13 pm »
Good point. I guess I don't put the two in quite the same category. For all his technical expertise/input and skill Donohue didn't actually design the car, which McLaren did. The long term success of the McLarens in the series (and elsewhere), even after his passing in '70, shows how special and diverse a talent he was.  :thumb:

None of Can-am fame but I'm inclined to throw in Chapman , who was no slouch behind the wheel himself , relinqushing driving duties after discovering Jim Clark and the best american designer driver of them all Dan Gurney ....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:44 am »
Surtees tells his side of the story on the 2H in the Pete Lyons video. Apparently he wouldn't even get in the car till Jim cut the top open. Then it handled so poorly it went almost immediately into storage.

Hey FRM if you're interested in that Chevron just send me your check & shipping details, those folks are just 20 minutes down the road from me. I'll hand deliver the check, and even test drive it before delivering it to the docks.  :lol:  It's a steal at only $155K.
OK, I will take both the Shadow & the Chevron in my debt card...for save your trip time to the Fast Cars Garage. :dance:

If I live in your area I would run at Fast Cars and rent the Shadow for some laps in the circuit... :thumb:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:52 pm »
I remember those CanAm days up close and personal.  I was a SCCA corner worker at Road America back then, stationed with the yellow flags just a few feet from the edge of the pavement, back to back with a second corner worker looking over each others shoulders so we could see both ways, but also pull each other out of the way of an errant car.  No protection barriers, no safety equipment at all.

This worked just fine in the era of Scarabs and Birdcage Maseritis, etc. before ground effects.  When one would start to loose it under braking entering a corner, we corner workers had plenty of time to stroll out of the way.

However, one day working in a light rain at corner six (the down hill right hander after the very hard left just after the bridge at the end of the short uphill straight) Hap Sharp came out of the corner ahead of us in his fully ground effects Chaparral really fast and the did a lighting fast snap spin right at us!  We dived out of the way headfirst up the slope and Sharp actually brushed my shoe as he spun by!

I retired from corner working on the spot and spent the rest of my time at SCCA working timing and scoring in the safety of the scoring building at RA and at the last corner hut at Brainard.

A couple of years later at RA two corner workers were killed at corner 5, the sharp left hander at the end of the long back straight and they were on the inside of the track, far back, and even behind a barrier, but a spinning car that lost it under braking way far upstream went off in a very unusual way and collected them.

Like Daytona yesterday, once in a while you relearn that high speed auto racing can be more dangerous for everyone than you could imagine.

Frank Van Alstine