GIK and Odyssey - Best of RMAF 2012

Pez

Re: GIK and Odyssey - Best of RMAF 2012
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:50 am »
It worked brilliantly in this setup. In my experience putting absorbers at the first reflection point is great to eliminate your usual issues in that spot, but in a small room it can definitely kill the openness of the soundstage. With these diffusors in place it still sounded very spacious and alive without smear or soundstage defocusing. I guess the best way I can describe it is that it made a small room sound BIG.

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:41 pm »

This just whets my appetite.  Can someone from the RMAF GIK/Odyssey team put together a diagram of what went where and why it was used there?

Thanks.

Russ

Russ, this is a great idea! I'll get on doing this.

Alexander
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 02:04 am by Alex Reynolds »

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm »

This just whets my appetite.  Can someone from the RMAF GIK/Odyssey team put together a diagram of what went where and why it was used there?

Thanks.

Russ

Bryan has outlined why we chose to go with our Q7d for the first reflections, but to point out the other treatments:

We used four of our GIK Scopus Tuned Traps which we rolled out last summer. These are pictured as the 24"x24" Red absorbers in the above diagrams. The ones we used in this room were tuned to 40 Hz. We placed them on the left and right walls, as there were modal resonances pertaining to the rooms width. We also used two of our Soffit Bass Traps. These were placed in the front corners of the room. We would have liked to use four instead of two so they'd be floor to ceiling, but we weren't certain we'd have the height available to stack them. Lastly, we brought along two of our newer FRL Panels (in the back of the room in the above diagrams). These have not been officially released yet, but we're working on getting them perfected and trying to find the most cost conscious ways to build them to price these competitively. After that, its off to the lab for official reports!

Alexander
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 02:05 am by Alex Reynolds »