Front or rear wall

gil99

Front or rear wall
« on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:06 am »
Wih box speakers is it preferable to place acoustic panels on the front (behind speakers) or at the rear wall.  I intend to place bass trap on each of the four corner, 2 acoustic panels on first reflexion and have to decide to make or buy two more for front or rear wall or a better recommendation.  Thanks

Gil99

kiwi_1282001

Re: Front or rear wall
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:16 am »
I would suggest a diffusor panel on the front wall between the two loudspeakers and absorption panels on rear wall, particularily behind listening chair if it close to the rear wall.

Since direct waves will reflect off the rear wall, if you need to prioritise, do that first.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2012, 06:04 am »
And side reflections are really important to imaging.  Oh, and I've heard a "rule of thumb" for diffusion on the back wall is 1' for every inch of diffusor depth...4" depth = back of seat 4' minimum from rear wall.  So the diffusion doesn't sound weird...it needs to "blend" sort of.  Side wall first reflections are very important.

Best,
John

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2012, 10:12 am »
Try diffusion on the side walls, you might like it.  I did.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:48 pm »
Kind of depends on what you need. If sitting close to the wall behind you, then thicker bass absorbers behind you are more useful.

Bryan

gil99

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm »
Thanks for the information.

Gil99

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
Seems you can't go wrong with lots of bass traps or can't have enough of em,then I did first reflections,then back wall.
That's what I did,all my tri corners,wall ceiling corners.
Now I plan to do the front screen wall above and below( floor wall+above the screen).Then I'll be bass trapped out,hmmmm floor side wall corners.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2012, 09:50 pm »
Don't forget the ceiling also. For my 11' x 17' x 7' room, I've especially enjoyed ceiling diffusion centered between my main loudspeakers & located at it's 1st reflection point from my listening chair. Along with diffusion on the front wall, they've really added depth & width to my sound stage and has made my small room play large. YMMV when considering individual listening preferences.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2012, 09:42 pm »
                                                                            custom Gik 244's(below screen)and soffit traps above 

Should add that the soffit traps blend in so well with the velvet screen frame that I can't really see them.