Introducing the NEW Creative Sound Solutions

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
Re: Introducing the NEW Creative Sound Solutions
« Reply #60 on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:16 pm »
Kerry,

Imagine yourself as a first-time speaker assembler. You've got a whole bunch of egg-crate foam pads that came with your kit - mostly they appear to be padding for kit components against shipping damage. Do you throw them away? [I'm not being facetious. Someone with zero experience won't know that the foam is supposed to be glued to the internal walls of the cabinets.] Hans has zero experience with kit speakers. He doesn't spend hours every week pouring over audiophile forums nor does he seek out 'how to' videos on YouTube. He had no idea why there were so many foam pads included in the kit - and there was no explanation. A few sentences explaining the importance of the foam sheets, and correct dimensions of the cut sheets would have saved me time and effort.

I personally don't care for the triangular braces. I wasted time tapping them into correct place because I was worried they'd throw off the fit if one extended even a millimeter out of its correct placement. Do all four (per cabinet) braces face the same way? I knew the bottom braces faced the back (as in the photo) and guessed that the top braces faced the front. However, there was no explanation; no direction. Two sentences could have explained their correct orientation.

Many kit speakers come with polyfil. This one did not, so I assumed that it's not needed(?).

The different sized screws are intended for different drivers and the crossovers. What do you think of the idea of placing the smaller screws in one ziplock bag labeled "tweeter" and the longer screws in a second ziplock labeled "woofer"? [I've already forgotten which screws were used to secure the XO.]

There were no instructions telling the novice how to assemble the input terminals. It's not immediately obvious to the novice.

Could you include a couple sentences about how the speaker will sound better after 200+ hours of playing because the capacitors need time to burn in?

This is all I can remember.

The speakers sound very nice. They kick out more bass than I had anticipated. I enjoyed listening to them once they had burned in properly. I couldn't help but wonder what a 3-way speaker from you might sound like... :thumb:

Michael

Thanks again for the feedback. We will likely redesign the triangle braces to a shelf style brace when we replenish the stock of cabinets. We’ll try and add your feedback into our updated instructions as we develop them.

I’m glad you both enjoyed them. We are actually working on a massive 3-way using 4 of our SDX10 woofers as the base. It might be making an appearance at AXPONA next year if you plan on attending.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #61 on: 22 Nov 2018, 09:28 pm »
Kerry,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

A couple requests...

If you don't mind uploading the Klippel measurements of the SDX 10 and SDX 12, they would be terribly useful to illustrate the advantages of the XBL2 motor especially with regards to flatter BL product over Xmax, non varying inductance values, as well as lower IMD levels. All the Pro audio companies that I know of and do business with have their own Klippel analyzers and some will submit their drivers to be independently measured and tested by the likes of Vance Dickason (Voice Coil) or Josh Ricci (Databass). As such if you were to do the same, it would be a nice platform for diy'ers, OEMs and other hobbyists to have for objective comparisons.

In addition, there are some of us who will happily accommodate 15 inch and larger drivers in our arsenal (for a multitude of objective reasons, as well as irrational ones  :icon_twisted:), therefore, as your company flourishes, please do consider these larger sized options.

Thank you kindly,

Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #62 on: 22 Nov 2018, 10:11 pm »
Yes, more Sd, please!  :green:

15s or even 18s. XBL2 is awesome.

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:40 pm »
Kerry,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

A couple requests...

If you don't mind uploading the Klippel measurements of the SDX 10 and SDX 12, they would be terribly useful to illustrate the advantages of the XBL2 motor especially with regards to flatter BL product over Xmax, non varying inductance values, as well as lower IMD levels. All the Pro audio companies that I know of and do business with have their own Klippel analyzers and some will submit their drivers to be independently measured and tested by the likes of Vance Dickason (Voice Coil) or Josh Ricci (Databass). As such if you were to do the same, it would be a nice platform for diy'ers, OEMs and other hobbyists to have for objective comparisons.

In addition, there are some of us who will happily accommodate 15 inch and larger drivers in our arsenal (for a multitude of objective reasons, as well as irrational ones  :icon_twisted:), therefore, as your company flourishes, please do consider these larger sized options.

Thank you kindly,

Anand.

Hi Anand,

Both of these are on our to-do list.

We don't have any original Klippel data that was turned over to us from the previous owner for either subwoofer, so we can't just upload it. However, we are looking at getting things tested in the future.

We've had several requests for the SDX15 and might order some new stock the next time we place an order for more SDX12s. Unfortunately everything is moving slower than we had hoped as we basically had to build the company almost from the ground up again. There really was almost nothing left but the name when we took over so even getting customers back has taken a bit of time.

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:53 pm »
We have LD25X prototypes on the way. Our plan is to test for consistency and performance, and if they meet our expectations, place a larger order for inventory. We'll be running a pre-order special on these at the price from several years ago before going to the regular retail price once they arrive.

Sparks

« Reply #65 on: 28 Dec 2018, 02:19 am »
Any time frame for when the LD25X will be incorporated into your Criton speaker kits, assuming a happy path?

Happy Holidays.

Creative Sound Solutions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 28 Dec 2018, 01:39 pm »
Hi Sparks,

We've got the prototype in hand and are testing it now. If everything tests how we want it, we will place an order and then it will be probably 3 months before they are in stock. We can design the Criton with the LD25X prototypes, so the kit would be ready and available as soon as the stock comes in. So realistically you are probably looking at 3-4 months out.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #67 on: 10 Sep 2019, 04:34 pm »
Just last week, I paid for a pair of the new 25mm tweeters - an impulse buy for sure. Seems to me the first fifty pairs are being offered at a discount. Kerry suggested they may not ship until the end of October.

Now I need to figure out what sort of speaker I'm going to build around these tweeters. {muses to self} Do I want two-way or three-way speakers? Just how much low-end do I want? How much $$$ am I willing to spend on midwoofers or mid-range drivers? Perhaps most importantly: How do I sneak them into the house without my wife killing me?  :o

wushuliu

« Reply #68 on: 10 Sep 2019, 06:55 pm »
Just last week, I paid for a pair of the new 25mm tweeters - an impulse buy for sure. Seems to me the first fifty pairs are being offered at a discount. Kerry suggested they may not ship until the end of October.

Now I need to figure out what sort of speaker I'm going to build around these tweeters. {muses to self} Do I want two-way or three-way speakers? Just how much low-end do I want? How much $$$ am I willing to spend on midwoofers or mid-range drivers? Perhaps most importantly: How do I sneak them into the house without my wife killing me?  :o

I'm researching for my next speaker build for next year and I've settled on doing an mmtmm with 5" or 6" drivers. Allows a narrow baffle, lower distortion, high sensitivity, and the symmetry will be more spouse friendly and eye catching. Trade-off is spending more on a tweeter that can cross really low.

wushuliu

« Reply #69 on: 10 Sep 2019, 07:07 pm »
Hm, would also be nice to see some basic measurements for the LD25, especially given the pricing.

mresseguie

« Reply #70 on: 19 Sep 2019, 08:53 pm »
I've located some measurements. Kerry told me the new LD25 tweeters measure the same, but have a bit less distortion thanks to the redesigned shorting(?) ring.

Link: file:///Users/mresseguie/Downloads/LD25FEB15.pdf

Also, I located a nice review written by Jeff Bagby in 2012 that ought to remain true for the new tweeters.

https://app.box.com/s/sooaxdil8sjjvcl1d61p

Michael

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #71 on: 3 Mar 2020, 09:44 pm »
This is a very detailed and thorough review by Matthew Poes. Of note, not only does he have a PhD in Acoustics, he is also a regular writer for Audioholics and AudiNirvana. His focus on both measurements, ie objective and the subjective is refreshing and should be educational for even the most seasoned of audiophiles:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/css-sdx12

Please, please, please also read this and digest it(!):

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/10-nonsense-myths

Best,
Anand.

mresseguie

« Reply #72 on: 3 Mar 2020, 10:06 pm »
Anand,

Thanks for the link.

I haven't read the review yet, but I did glance at the pros and cons. This con is a bit odd: "Driver can go from 0 to ugly without warning.:scratch:

I suppose he explains this in the review?

Michael

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2020, 10:59 pm »
Yes, that’s true of any driver, in the sense that a limiter is important to have so as to not exceed Xmax (it’s something that is in the DSP portion of a plate amp), etc...but honestly read the review. It was hard to do anything to destroy this driver, so from an SPL compression standpoint it did very well.

Remember he reviewed the driver on its own in a sealed enclosure.

If an OEM sold you a fully built and tested sub, they would make sure all that is taken care of. Either way, CSS can advise for DIY builds.

Best,
Anand.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #74 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:31 am »
"Driver can go from 0 to ugly without warning."

That may be the same phenominum as in the FR/WR 125s. The motor is very linear but you get no warning of impending running out of room and hitting the back plate.

That is why i started recommending sealed or aperiodic for those drivers and use my SDX10 in a sealed box. An outstanding woofer.

dave