Big value Dac alert

Kw6

Re: Big value Dac alert
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2022, 06:33 pm »
Btw Jack I'm what areas is G1 better than Zen stream for using only for Tidal and Spotify connect?

Kw6

« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2022, 10:48 pm »
Sorry posted in wrong thread!

JackD

« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2022, 01:00 am »
The extra $3000 in cost gets you a component that is in a different class build and parts wise.  Heavy duty case, twin linear power supply, more internal memory, galvanic isolation of outputs, different level of parts in general.  But also not an appropriate match for a $400 DAC.  I am using mine in a secondary system with an Aqua La Voce S3 and it holds it's own.  For the purpose of streaming via Tidal and Spotify connect it is all you need as it's Volumio based software at this point is minimal at best but gets the job done.  It's a solid buy with many users on this forum as well as a dedicated users help thread on Head-Fi. 

Here's the thing, if you buy it from Music Direct or Crutchfield you have 60 days to try it out with the included power supply.  If it doesn't work for you ship it back and if it does then buy the LPS.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2022, 02:20 am »
I believe 1 yr warranty from Aoshida. Find them on Amazon in your country or AliExpress. I have bought from them before they have great customer service. Btw I just finished listening in a 6 hr session. Many goosebump moments. If you get one post your impressions here. Two things stick out on my mind is slight less digital sounding. Reminds me more like hearing music from a cassette but more dynamic and deeper bass and highs are correct more so than R2R. I will listen to my Pegasus tomorrow. I'm going to sell my Chord Qutest. Just Before D300 arrived I was saying in my mind I have the resolution but sounds like bright digital even blaming my tube integrated. Glad I tried this new DAC.

My son has a Chord Qutest with an ifi PowerX power supply and a Ghent usb cable.  It is anything but bright.  The Chord is very usb cable sensitive.  It was bright sounding with an Oyaide Neo D+ Class A cable but not an AQ Carbon, WW Starlight Red or the Ghent cable.  Amp is a $6K Cary Audio SS Integrated.

Kw6

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2022, 02:41 am »
The extra $3000 in cost gets you a component that is in a different class build and parts wise.  Heavy duty case, twin linear power supply, more internal memory, galvanic isolation of outputs, different level of parts in general.  But also not an appropriate match for a $400 DAC.  I am using mine in a secondary system with an Aqua La Voce S3 and it holds it's own.  For the purpose of streaming via Tidal and Spotify connect it is all you need as it's Volumio based software at this point is minimal at best but gets the job done.  It's a solid buy with many users on this forum as well as a dedicated users help thread on Head-Fi. 

Here's the thing, if you buy it from Music Direct or Crutchfield you have 60 days to try it out with the included power supply.  If it doesn't work for you ship it back and if it does then buy the LPS.

Ok thanks Jack!  Btw the Zen is coming in Jan from Amazon. 30 day trial.😊

Kw6

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2022, 02:42 am »
My son has a Chord Qutest with an ifi PowerX power supply and a Ghent usb cable.  It is anything but bright.  The Chord is very usb cable sensitive.  It was bright sounding with an Oyaide Neo D+ Class A cable but not an AQ Carbon, WW Starlight Red or the Ghent cable.  Amp is a $6K Cary Audio SS Integrated.

What speakers is your son using with Qutest?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2022, 04:55 pm »
What speakers is your son using with Qutest?

Wharfedale Evo 4.4's with a Rythmik F12se sub.  But also has a pair of PSB Synchrony Ones.

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/speakers/wharfedale-evo-4-4-tower-speakers-pair/

The upgraded power supply makes a huge difference with the Qutest.

Kw6

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2022, 05:55 am »
Ok gotcha thanks!😊

JakeJ

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jan 2023, 11:14 pm »
Hey Kw6,

Got quiet here.  Just listening to lots of music?  I just scooped a D300 from USAM and it will be here Monday.  I'll do some compares to my Gustard A22 and MHDT DACs.  Fun in the winter.

Kw6

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jan 2023, 07:19 pm »
That is great thanks for taking a chance! I am listening to Fleetwood Mac album right now and I got goosebumps listening to Steve Nick's voice. Keep in mind I have iFi Zen stream hard wired with CAT 6 and coax into DAC using Single ended RCA to my Cayin cs-55a integrated El34 inTriode mode. I am eagerly awaiting your comments! I recently sold my Chord Qutest and know matter what I did; I put on the most fattest sounding cables I had like the old Cardas Golden cross it still sounded bright. I blamed the amp and speakers. But  I shouldn't be surprised though as when I go to dealer setups and walk into a room with digital it sounds thin even with Mcintosh with Sonus Faber and once they spin vinyl much moother and full!😊

Kw6

« Reply #30 on: 8 Jan 2023, 07:24 pm »
Addendum: listening to Landslide the cushion of air is spectacular. One step closer to analog! Different from vinyl as not warm but sweet and slightly airy like real live voices in venues.

To get full magic you may need to get Zen stream or higher price equivalent transport! 😀

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jan 2023, 08:26 pm »
If I may ask.

How is your setup put together?  Source to speakers chain?  In my rig I have a 2011 Mac Mini connected to the internet to get a feed from Tidal or Spotify.  Alternately I have my CDs all ripped to the Mini.  Also I have a couple of disc spinners.  So barring the use of a spinner my music goes from Mac Mini=>DAC of choice=>preamp=>power amp=>speakers.  Where does the Zen fit into your rig?

Thanks,
Jake

Kw6

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jan 2023, 08:38 pm »
I'm just using Spotify or Tidal connect from my spare Samsung phone for the Spotify and Tidal apps. I have a TP link router for wifi. I have a CAT 6 ethernet to my streamer Zen. From Zen I am coax out with 1.5m of Wireworld Gold Elicpse 7 to the D300. Then RCA out with Cardas Golden cross to Cayin cs-55a 18 watts triode mode Mullard El34. Speaker cables are 2m of Nordost Hemindal going to my super musical Klipsch Forte IVs.

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jan 2023, 11:49 pm »
Thanks.  Nice system.

Let's see if I understand.  You use a cell phone for your source which sends a wifi signal to the router, then to the Zen, next to the D30, then the Cayin, and last the Klipsch.  Just curious what job does the Zen do?  Converter from Ethernet to S/PDIF?  My dacs all get USB for input as coax and optical have limitations.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Edit

I just went to ifi's website and found there are number of iterations of the "Zen".  I'm guessing you have the Zen Stream.  Looks very interesting.  Are you using Roon?  If so, is the Zen your endpoint?

TIA

Kw6

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jan 2023, 11:03 pm »
Yes, I have the basic Zen stream. I only use Spotify and Tidal which are apps on my Samsung phone. On the Zen I'm on the AIO mode. There are some songs I listen to that is not on Tidal like Katrina Train!

Kw6

« Reply #35 on: 9 Jan 2023, 11:05 pm »
The Zen stream acts as a network bridge as D300 doesn't have that ability like say Gustard R26 where I could go from router right into DAC.

JakeJ

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2023, 04:25 am »
Are you using cable or wifi to the Zen?  My rig is wifi from router to the computers but the old Netgear can't get to the living room with 5G only 2.4G So I am upgrading my entire network with a new Netgear Nighthawk that can handle up to 25 devices and has a data rate of 1200Mb/s as opposed the old one which is limited to 300 Mb/s.  Should make for better speed and bandwidth.

JakeJ

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2023, 04:30 am »
I have been listening to the D300 for a few hours now and it a very nice DAC and an especially good deal.  Neutral, natural, sweet.  The top end is not sharp or nasty at all, just as it should.  I did not listen to the Gustard today as I was too enthralled with the SMSL.  More later.

Kw6

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2023, 08:05 am »
Hey Jake,

I am hardwired to Zen. Glad you like it so far. What was first thing that came to mind when first note came out of D300? Please compare resolution to the Orchid?

Kw6

« Reply #39 on: 10 Jan 2023, 08:07 am »
Zen with D300 was like Stevie Nicks in my room singing Dreams or Landslide!