Big value Dac alert

Kw6

Big value Dac alert
« on: 22 Dec 2022, 08:25 pm »
Hey everyone!

I just want give a shout out to my new smsl DAC D300. Great value. Sounds less bright than my other dacs. Let me know what you think if you get one. Only the price of a an interconnect what do you have to lose! 😅

MttBsh

Re: Big value Dac alert
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2022, 08:52 pm »
One owner described the D300 this way: "This DAC sounds soft like the feeling of the skin of a woman you’re in love with. I’ve been married a long time but I’m in another committed relationship now"
That may be the best DAC endorsement I've ever heard.

Kw6

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2022, 09:06 pm »
Haha!  :lol: It's really good. And factor in the price it's a no brainer!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2022, 01:37 am »
Hey everyone!

I just want give a shout out to my new smsl DAC D300. Great value. Sounds less bright than my other dacs. Let me know what you think if you get one. Only the price of a an interconnect what do you have to lose! 😅

The price is certainly attractive, but the above highlighted sentence gives me pause. Less bright isn't a plus for my bright-sensitive ears. Got any other desciptions?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2022, 03:01 am »
Reviews on amazon, especially those from Japan would give me pause about the reliability of the DAC.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2022, 03:17 am »
One owner described the D300 this way: "This DAC sounds soft like the feeling of the skin of a woman you’re in love with."

That guy needs help....

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2022, 03:32 am »
Reviews on amazon, especially those from Japan would give me pause about the reliability of the DAC.

Ooh, that's not good.

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2022, 06:19 pm »
The price is certainly attractive, but the above highlighted sentence gives me pause. Less bright isn't a plus for my bright-sensitive ears. Got any other desciptions?

Ok I am streaming Anne Bisson's Blue Mind album and I have heard it on vinyl as well.  The highs are like when a cymbal is struck it is brilliant yet Sweet with trailing air. With my Chord Qutest it's not Sweet but more bright. With my R2R Pontus it's smooth but too smoothed over losing it's brilliance as it's in real life. I haven't listen to my Pontus for a few weeks so will switch back to compare to Anne's album which is well recorded.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2022, 06:22 pm »
Ooh, that's not good.

This I don't know as I just got it. To me still worth it for the asking price. Think of it as Ferrari of dacs lol. I may get a second one and sell my Qutest.

Kw6

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2022, 06:54 pm »
Mressequie,

From your profile you have nice DAC. I was thinking of Swix too but I like to leave dacs on 24/7. I am after absolute sound. Some cheaper tube dacs not saying your swix will have can overall pleasing presentation but miss out on a how a struck cymbal sounds with it's sweet brilliance. Vocals should not sound too warm like I heard on vinyl. Real life is velvet smooth with small cushion of air so not dry. I want to compare sounds to live or master tape. It's a fine balancing act of even order distortions to make it sound right. You are perfect candidate to try D300 and report back to us. I just want bragging rights I found a giant kiiler. Will you accept this challenge? Bet you won't return it and will keep for a back up or second system. But if you hate it there is a 30 day return policy. Also,  I like to preface I can't hear over 13khz! 😅

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2022, 07:17 pm »
Will continue watching and reading with great interest, Kw6.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2022, 07:39 pm »
Here's a good review of the dac:

https://youtu.be/PDRDSWBDSOs

What's interesting is that it uses a totally new chip(?) I've never heard of called a Rohm, not the usual ESS or AK etc.
It does seem like it swings in the opposite direction and is very much on the smooth and warm side.

Here is another review and has sound sample at the end:

https://youtu.be/aYYPB9d_wZ8

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2022, 08:18 pm »
Will continue watching and reading with great interest, Kw6.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

No problem! 😊

Kw6

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2022, 08:25 pm »
No problem! 😊

When I stopped by my dealer last month I did have a glancing listen to the new  all in one HiFi Rose streamer that uses the latest ESS Sabre dacs. Sound was sweet and would never would have guessed it was ESS. I thought maybe AKM. Rose was going into an all Luxman tube pre power driving Harbeth Shl5. Before you say it's the speaker! Just before they use Rose they had the entry level Luxman cd player playing same Norah Jones come away with me which made me question the new XD Harbeth line as I have the original P3ESR in my other system. And SHL 5 sounded unlike Harbeth tone.

Kw6

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2022, 08:40 pm »
Here's a good review of the dac:

https://youtu.be/PDRDSWBDSOs

What's interesting is that it uses a totally new chip(?) I've never heard of called a Rohm, not the usual ESS or AK etc.
It does seem like it swings in the opposite direction and is very much on the smooth and warm side.

Here is another review and has sound sample at the end:

https://youtu.be/aYYPB9d_wZ8

In my system sounds more soft and sweet with excellent treble Not unlike the real deal to my ears!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2022, 12:47 am »
Mressequie,

From your profile you have nice DAC. I was thinking of Swix too but I like to leave dacs on 24/7. I am after absolute sound. Some cheaper tube dacs not saying your swix will have can overall pleasing presentation but miss out on a how a struck cymbal sounds with it's sweet brilliance. Vocals should not sound too warm like I heard on vinyl. Real life is velvet smooth with small cushion of air so not dry. I want to compare sounds to live or master tape. It's a fine balancing act of even order distortions to make it sound right. You are perfect candidate to try D300 and report back to us. I just want bragging rights I found a giant kiiler. Will you accept this challenge? Bet you won't return it and will keep for a back up or second system. But if you hate it there is a 30 day return policy. Also,  I like to preface I can't hear over 13khz! 😅

Thank you for your detailed reply.  :thumb:

A nice thing about the SW1X DACs is that they are supposed to be left on 24/7, and this is how I use mine - and, yes, it took me a while to actually do this because I'd never leave my tube amp or preamp on 24/7. I only switch it off if I will be away for more than a day or two. It sounds glorious when it is left on.

I may well try this DAC, and compare it to my other DACs over time. I'm currently running my new Holo Spring2 KTE DAC and getting a feel for its characteristics, so I'm in no hurry to try another DAC at this time.

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2022, 04:55 pm »
Ok Mressequie!

One thing surprised me when listening to Katrina Train song yesterday. She is front and center with a smooth somewhat juicy voice. Behind her is a small drum kit and the snare has a particularly  dry scratchy texture that stood out. On most good digital both would be smooth. But the most amazing thing is that the space behind singer separating her and the drum kit felt real empty like if you watch real live performance. Whereas other dacs are like watching a video on 1080p music video. Vinyl can do this too on right recordings whereas digital seems to be weaved together but with still front to back layering but without the feeling of empty space if you get me. Also for sure highs care more sweeter and brilliant with decaying air say when cymbal is struck. When I had Ares II and also with Pontus II the cymbal was this smooth object with a dull ting very little trailing air if any. Let me know if you here this in your set up and with the Holo and Swix.

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2022, 06:32 pm »
I'm listening to music today and sounds better than yesterday. Is it my dac getting more miles on it or less load on AC grid because of Christmas day?😃

xsb7244

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2022, 09:35 pm »
What about warranty when dac breaks down?

Kw6

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2022, 11:33 pm »
I believe 1 yr warranty from Aoshida. Find them on Amazon in your country or AliExpress. I have bought from them before they have great customer service. Btw I just finished listening in a 6 hr session. Many goosebump moments. If you get one post your impressions here. Two things stick out on my mind is slight less digital sounding. Reminds me more like hearing music from a cassette but more dynamic and deeper bass and highs are correct more so than R2R. I will listen to my Pegasus tomorrow. I'm going to sell my Chord Qutest. Just Before D300 arrived I was saying in my mind I have the resolution but sounds like bright digital even blaming my tube integrated. Glad I tried this new DAC.