DAC-less streamer

joffieb

DAC-less streamer
« on: 11 Aug 2021, 03:59 pm »
Hi All,

What are people generally using to stream Tidal/Spotify/Deezer to a DAC besides a laptop or pc? In other words what dac-less streamers are there out there? Alternatively has someone made a small streaming pc using a mini PC without a screen that can be remotely controlled by your phone? I know that it can be done with a Raspberry Pi but you’d need a HAT with a digital out because apparently the usb out of the rpi isn’t great and you’d need to subscribe to Roon, another expense.
Any input  would oblige and is appreciated, especially a low budget suggestion.
Thanks

Mike-48

Re: DAC-less streamer
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2021, 06:15 pm »
There are many, many DAC-less streamers (or ones that can be used Dac-less) out there, at prices ranging from $50 (Chromecast Audio used) to many thousands (Lumin U1 at $6100 or Auralic Aries G2.1 at $5100). So please give your budget, and with luck, you'll get some useful recommendations.

I have made an RPi3-based streamer with Allo DigiOne output card. It connects to my DAC with SPDIF. It can handle local music and Qobuz without a Roon subscription, by using BubbleUPnP on my Android phone. To my ears, it performs astoundingly well for something costing about $200 with power supply.

Happy listening!

dburna

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2021, 06:39 pm »

I have made an RPi3-based streamer with Allo DigiOne output card. It connects to my DAC with SPDIF. It can handle local music and Qobuz without a Roon subscription, by using BubbleUPnP on my Android phone. To my ears, it performs astoundingly well for something costing about $200 with power supply.

Happy listening!

The RPi3 solution is just a straight streamer, sending the digital information directly to a DAC. It doesn't have volume control, correct? That may not matter to the OP but it is essential for what I am seeking. Thanks in advance for your reply.

-dGB

Audiophile58

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2021, 07:51 pm »
Bricasti makes a Excellent Streamer that can be purchased forroughly $1750
With excellent well thought design ,and like their World class Dacs and latest M3 dac-Streamer 
Plenty of options , for a great med priced  streamer -Server  Melco -Japan N100  is a excellent product
Vs the competition.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2021, 07:52 pm »
The RPi3 solution is just a straight streamer, sending the digital information directly to a DAC. It doesn't have volume control, correct? That may not matter to the OP but it is essential for what I am seeking. Thanks in advance for your reply.

-dGB

I looked at what AudioAdvisor sells and the only item that includes all your requirements is the NAD C 658.
Supported services: Spotify, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, HDTracks, HighResAudio, Murfie, JUKE, Napster, Slacker Radio, KKBox, Bugs

Crutchfield has more items. The $349 Yamaha WXC-50 keeps popping up in searches but it doesn't include every streaming service so if you prefer Qobuz over Tidal it won't work.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022WXC50DS/Yamaha-WXC-50.html?tp=71429

I used to use a PC to stream Tidal to my DAC but I canceled my Tidal subscription because I never used it. Our local community FM radio station is excellent, the sound is better than Tidal and the music mix is better than anything Tidal comes up with.

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2021, 08:09 pm »
I use it with the Volumio OS on the RPi. That allows me to turn off any volume control or use volume control provided by the Allo board. I turn it off, because the DAC in this setup is feeding a device with its own volume control. More than that I do not know.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2021, 12:55 am »
Lumin also makes a U1 mini

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2021, 01:29 am »
Try the iFi Zen stream for $399.  If you buy through AA, Crutchfield or Music Direct you have a return policy.  Has it's own app based on Volumio or you can use any DLNA app. Volume would be controlled from inside the app just like with any streamer only. There is a 50+ page thread on Head Fi.

For the streamer itself to have a volume control it would have to have preamp functions like the Teac NT-505.

joffieb

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2021, 07:43 am »
Thanks All!

bakufu

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2022, 01:40 pm »
i've also been on a hunt for a dac-less streamer.  i've tried several, including the pro-ject streambox ultra s2 and various products from sonore and small green computer.  i was unable to get the streambox to "see" my dac, and there were a series of insurmountable problems with the sonore products which i won't discuss here.

i've been using a mac mini as a roon endpoint, using a salk streamplayer III se as the roon server with a 4tb internal SSD (terrific value, highly recommended).  my dac is a line magnetic 32.  the mini (used, ~$400 from amazon) is certainly functional, and if you're using macs elsewhere on your network, integration can't be simpler.  but i knew i was leaving a lot on the table, and there was room for improvement.

after reading a few reviews, i decided to take a chance and order a Link II + power supply from stack audio.  this proved to be a very good decision.  there were a few glitches with setup, mainly due to pilot error (read the damn manual stevan!).  once up and running i was shocked at the increase, very dramatic, in life-likeness and "presence", which i attribute to a lowering of the subliminal noise-floor.

the build-quality is exceptional, lovely chunks of aluminum.  theo stack responded within minutes to help me overcome my initial confusion over setup.  highly recommended.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2022, 07:37 pm »
I have been playing with Raspi's for a few years.

I have run RPI3's with Allo Digione, Allo Boss and Hifiberry Digi+.  All ran s/w that included volume control such as PiCore or Volumio.

The RPI3 had some issues with USB ouput as the USB and Ethernet boards were shared.  The Pi4 fixed that.

I am presently running an RPI4 with Volumio as my streamer - I use the USB output to a DAC with volume control etc.  I simply bypass the volume control in Volumio and use my DAC for that.

Under $200 for what I am doing today with a new RPI4.

I don't actually stream the services you mention, I have a hard drive full of FLAC and Hi Rez, and use Airplay from my phone to the Pi for my music streaming - but I am led to believe that Volumio and other s/w can integrate with those services you seek to use.

Craig B

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2022, 09:46 pm »
I use an Aurender N100H, but I don't think they make it anymore. I'm supremely happy with it, and with its iOS controller interface.

Chazz5

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2022, 08:54 pm »
You can go the wi-fi route. The MinimServer program on a Windows PC will make your streams and file available to your home wi-fi network. An Audioengine B-Fi (list US$189) receives the wi-fi stream. It has a built-in DAC and also a TOSLink output if you prefer to feed a separate DAC. You control what plays from a tablet or smartphone, for example, the BubbleUpNP app on Android.