DAC n00b questions regarding add to pre-existing system

ernest787

This will be a super n00b questions, so I apologize up front  :duh:

I currently have a system that I use primarily for Vinyl purposes.  The system consist of the following:

Salk HT3
Crown XLS 2500 power amp
Audio Research SP 14 pre amp

I'd like to updgrade the power amp, but that is for another forum.  At this point it works well for me when listening to vinyl; however, as you may have guessed flipping a record is fine when I'm listening, but not the best when having people over or when doing something else that makes flipping a record difficult.  I have plugged my computer directly into the set up in the past and it works ok, but I'd like a more permanent solution.

This has all lead me to looking at the Mytek Stereo 192-DSD DAC.

My big question is how would I go about incorporating this into my current system?  Would the Mytek need to go directly into a channel on my ARC, or would hte Mytek act as it's on Pre and need to go into the Power Amp?

Again I know this is a noob question, but any help on the best way to incorprate the DAC into my current system would be appreciated.

PS.  Also considering the Salk Stream Player to pair with the Mytek to store my hirez files.

srb

Re: DAC n00b questions regarding add to pre-existing system
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:16 pm »
The Mytek's volume control can be set for Analog volume, Digital volume or Bypass, so there are multiple options to connect it and it doesn't "need" to be connected a particular way, however because you have at least one other source and the Crown amplifier doesn't have multiple switchable inputs, it makes the most sense to set the Mytek volume control to Bypass mode and go into a line input on the ARC preamp and control the volume from there.

Steve

ernest787

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:19 pm »
you are a saint sir.  I figured I was over thinking this, but I had already gone waaaaay too far down the rabbit hole to save myself at this point.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2014, 09:15 pm »
The Mytek is a nice DAC, but I am in the preamp camp, and I dislike most DACs "preamp function".  I reviewed (and own 3 Myteks that I use for their testing 5.1 DSD multichannel) the Mytek and know it intimately.  The only issue you will have using your SP14 is simply properly setting the gain on the Mytek so it is not too hot for the SP14 input.  But net/net, it will sound way better into your wonderful preamp than trying to use it as one (i.e trying to go direct to amp).  Just my $.02.

ernest787

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2014, 11:02 pm »
I appreciate the info. That is exactly what I was looking for. I love the way my sp14 sounds with my TT so knowing that incorporating the Mytek will be fairly seamless is nice to know. Makes it easier to convince the wife :)