Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas

Huskerbryce

I have all the crossover parts and drivers but waiting on the flat pack.  So I have started to layout and assemble the crossovers.  I will post progress as I can.  This is a busy time of year with all the kids’ stuff.  Right now I am in the preliminary stages of tossing the crossovers together.  I ended up doing some personal upgrades to the crossover.  Not sure how much sonic difference it will make but I did the large value cap bundle in the V-cap ODAMs.  The bypass caps are a combo of dueland copper cast-pio and miflex copper foils.  Used all path audio resistors with a trio in parallel on the main inline for heat dissipation and higher power handling. 

Vince in TX

Re: Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2024, 03:21 am »
Following because these are definitely on my radar to replace my X-Statics at some point.    :popcorn:

Huskerbryce

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2024, 03:50 am »
I am on the fence about doing external crossovers vs insert (speaker) mounted.  I think I am leaning toward designing the boards ascetically pleasing enough to do either.  Was bored today so cut some acrylic plates as well as some HDF wood plates.  I kind of like the idea of being able to see the wiring and the parts of the crossover.  Partly because I paid so damn much for the parts but mostly so I can easily do future upgrades or inspections and tweaks of components. Toying with rubber feet and other methods of vibration isolation on the potential boards. 

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2024, 03:48 pm »
That cheap inductor looks out of place with the rest of those ultra-premium crossover parts. You may as well spend a few extra dollars to upgrade them. Build an external crossover. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2024, 05:32 pm »
That cheap inductor looks out of place with the rest of those ultra-premium crossover parts. You may as well spend a few extra dollars to upgrade them. Build an external crossover.
You mean the large iron core?

It can be done, but you'd have to go with a 10-12 gauge air-core coil to replace it, and cost will likely be $150-250 per coil to remain relatively close to the DCR of the Super-Q.
and the only place that makes them that large is Solen.
I'd imagine that a Foil in that size would need to be custom made, and probably cost 3-4X the price of the Solen coils.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2024, 07:33 pm »
You mean the large iron core?

It can be done, but you'd have to go with a 10-12 gauge air-core coil to replace it, and cost will likely be $150-250 per coil to remain relatively close to the DCR of the Super-Q.
and the only place that makes them that large is Solen.
I'd imagine that a Foil in that size would need to be custom made, and probably cost 3-4X the price of the Solen coils.

They are around $750 each if memory serves.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2024, 08:42 pm »
They are around $750 each if memory serves.

That's pocket change for the OP.  :icon_lol:

mkrawcz

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2024, 09:00 pm »
Those parts are pretty much exactly what my plan has been eventually when I decide to build a new crossover for my NX-Oticas.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:12 am »
Those parts are pretty much exactly what my plan has been eventually when I decide to build a new crossover for my NX-Oticas.

Miflex is under "restructuring" and there may not be anymore pretty soon --> http://miflex.com.pl/en/

Madisound is blowing out their remaining Miflex inventory and the 8.2uF cap used on the Neo 3 tweeter, in particular @ $230/ea!!! I just bought a pair for a Studio monitor build.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/miflex-kpcu-capacitors/miflex-kpcu-8.2-mfd-250v-copper-foil-capacitor/

Huskerbryce

I did consider upgrading the iron core inductor.  The extra cost was high and given the low frequency of that circuit I figured the audible difference would be negligible.  Also, I wanted to fit the crossovers in the speaker if I decided to do that.  I decided to use the acrylic panels for the top mount plate.  I think I may do a combo of the black wood plates I cut and the acrylic and do a stand off double layer crossover.