2 way with neo 8

ccappe

2 way with neo 8
« on: 13 Dec 2007, 08:13 pm »
I like to realize a 2 way speaker for hi fi and surround purpose, using the neo 8 as a tweeter.
The dimension factor is very important: the housing of the woofer has to be the smallest as possible, since I'll use also a sub.
Any suggestion?

pbrstreetgang

Re: 2 way with neo 8
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2007, 10:00 pm »
Danny did work with RAW on the RAV6 and Rav1 IIRC and I did a mini review of the Rav6 in the RAW forum- very nice! It is a simple 2 way that uses Danny's 165 XBL and the RA 104.5 ribbon (not the neo 8 though) If you were wanting to commision one Im sure Danny could or use his expertise to help.

ely_az

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2007, 12:40 am »
I am also looking for something like this.  I remember reading something about an A/V-3S Neo somewhere but there is no kit on Danny's website.  I am currently using A/V-3s for my mains and am looking to build a ribbon based center to match them.  I was thinking of doing an O-3 for the center but don't know if that would work well for a center.  I also have to put it pretty close to the wall.  Any advise on this would be appreciated.

BrianH

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:37 pm »
It almost sounds like you are describing the discontinued Criterion. :)

It's in the archived section at the GR website. My apologies if I misunderstood.

brian

ccappe

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:38 pm »
Well...what I mean is a small 2 way, but the tweeter has to be a neo 8, may be used as a dipole, while the woofer can be anything, as long as it can go down to 80hz in a small enclosure to be helped by a sub.
The fact is that I already have the neo 8 and I need a home theater that can be accepted by my wife.  :(

Loftprojection

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2007, 11:49 pm »
Ha, some more guys looking for a small monitor!  Funny, that's what I told Danny a week ago that he needed to design a nice monitor for us.  haha

Zero the Hero

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2007, 07:50 pm »
wow  I was just thinking about this also! I was going to ask Danny about a 2-way with the Neo 8 and the M165x, but, and here's the odd part, the M165 side firing. Narrow front enclosure to accompany the Neo, with a side mounted woofer! Crazy, eh? Is it possible?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2007, 02:24 am »
The Neo 8 wouldn't be a first choice when using it as a single tweeter due to its limited vertical dispersion. A Neo 3 pdr would be a better choice.

I did design a kit with a pair of M-130/16's and a Neo 3 pdr but never released it as a kit. I designed it to match with some OB series main speakers that a few people had built. I was going to be designing a similar model for RAW Acoustics using their ribbon so didn't want to release another kit too close to it.

The O-3 does work really well as a center channel speaker but really needs to be away from the rear wall to work best.

wow  I was just thinking about this also! I was going to ask Danny about a 2-way with the Neo 8 and the M165x, but, and here's the odd part, the M165 side firing. Narrow front enclosure to accompany the Neo, with a side mounted woofer! Crazy, eh? Is it possible?

You could make a pretty cool omni out of it if you up fired the woofer and mounted the tweeter right over it and centered it in the middle. You'd need to keep it away from side walls though.

One of these days I may have to do a mini with the M-130X and the Neo 3 pdr. That would be a pretty killer combo.

ely_az

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2007, 04:41 pm »
Danny,

I would love to build the Dual M-130/16's with a Neo 3pdr.  Is this designed to be a vertical speaker or could it also work horizontally as a center channel.  I need to mount it on the wall so would probably want a smallish sealed cabinet about the size of the A/V-3S. If you put a kit together I will order it today.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2007, 05:02 pm »
Is this designed to be a vertical speaker or could it also work horizontally as a center channel.

You can orient it either way.

If you put a kit together I will order it today.

The complete kit (one speaker) is $189 or $202 with a Sonicap in the tweeter circuit. I can ship one out today right away if ordered. Just call to order.

Cabinet plans are already drawn up to. It is just like the A/V3S but with the driver spacing slightly further apart to allow for the larger tweeter face plate of the Neo.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2007, 05:31 pm »

You could make a pretty cool omni out of it if you up fired the woofer and mounted the tweeter right over it and centered it in the middle. You'd need to keep it away from side walls though.

I can't picture what you are describing - how would the tweeter be over the upfiring woofer? Unless you mean the woofer behind a baffle where the tweeter is mounted... hmmm...

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2007, 06:03 pm »
I can't picture what you are describing - how would the tweeter be over the upfiring woofer? Unless you mean the woofer behind a baffle where the tweeter is mounted... hmmm...

I mean make a frame that will suspend the thin Neo 3 pdr above the woofer so that it is in line with the center of the woofer. Woofer faces up, Neo faces forward...

Zero the Hero

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:48 pm »
oohhhh, like something along the lines of the Linkwitz Pluto? That could be pretty cool! Whats the thinnest baffle the Neo could be mounted on? Would 1/2" work?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2007, 02:28 pm »
Yep, just like a Pluto. It could be mounted on a pretty thin baffle. 1/2" think will be plenty.