BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Jozsef

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1180 on: 30 Aug 2018, 03:27 am »
I had exactly the same issue with a BHA-1 having excessive gain on my setup so that the lowest setting was too loud on most CDs. The adjustment is very quick and easy to make as well as being easily reversed if your needs change.  I can't provide any more information than that because I live near Peterborough so I can simply visit the factory to have these things done. I suggest getting in touch with them to discuss sorting this out for you. I know they want it to work for you regardless of your choice of headphones.

Having your gain controls on the 2BLP amps at 50% is not something I would regard as a problem. You are using them as they were intended and they are not "supposed" to be in any particular normal position.

95Dyna

« Reply #1181 on: 15 Sep 2018, 03:53 am »
FWIW, I have been using my BHA-1 for almost a year now.  It is connected to the fixed balanced out from an Esoteric F-05 integrated amp then 4 pin balanced out via the Cardas Clear HP cable to Grado PS2000e headphones. I have left it on for several days at times. It got a little warm but never hot. Also I do not experience the volume issues mentioned by several users.  Average position is between 10:00 and 12:00 for almost all recordings CD/SACD or vinyl. I don't find the need for a warm up period to achieve peak performance like I do with the Esoteric amp and previously  with 7B SST2's. As such I don't leave it on 24/7. This is a fantastic headphone amp.

wormcycle

« Reply #1182 on: 11 Oct 2018, 10:13 pm »
Thank you, I am considering the gain reduction mod but in the meantime I added -10dB Rothwell XLR attenuators between the BDA-2 DAC and BHA-1. And it is working pretty well.
The BHA-1 excessive gain became even more apparent when I replaced the pair of 2B LP PROs with 4B SSTC. Even with BHA1 on Low gain and 4B SSTC sensitivity set to 2V, that what I assume should be for balanced connections,  I could not move the BHA-1 volume knob past 9:3- or 10. After a couple of hours of listening the attenuators do not seem to have any bad effects on SQ, the bass seems actually more pronounced and better controlled, which is probably because now I can actually use the BHA-1 excellent volume control to find a sweet spot for listening to different tracks. 

R. Daneel

« Reply #1183 on: 9 Mar 2019, 01:50 pm »
Hi James!

When I turn on my BHA-1, it produces a very faint "pop" through the headphones. My particular amplifier was manufactured in 2013 and was one of the first samples in Europe to have the balanced preamp outputs on the back so I assume it is the one with original 14dB/20dB gain specification. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1184 on: 9 Mar 2019, 04:05 pm »
Hi James!

When I turn on my BHA-1, it produces a very faint "pop" through the headphones. My particular amplifier was manufactured in 2013 and was one of the first samples in Europe to have the balanced preamp outputs on the back so I assume it is the one with original 14dB/20dB gain specification. Is this normal?

Cheers!
Antun

A small pop is probably not an issue but I would email Mike just to confirm - mpickett@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1185 on: 9 Mar 2019, 04:39 pm »
A small pop is probably not an issue but I would email Mike just to confirm - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thank you James!

I have sent an email to Mr. Pickett.

Best wishes,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1186 on: 14 Mar 2019, 12:00 pm »

james

Hi James!

I emailed Mike last Saturday but didn't get a reply yet. Can you please let him Know?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Antun

john1970

« Reply #1187 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:15 am »
My Audeze LCD-X headphones finally arrived at the local dealer after being on order for a few weeks.  I am running these through a customized BHA1 (reduced gain and locking balanced connectors) and all I can say is WOW!  The volume is at the 9 o'clock position and the volume is at a very comfortable level for long-term listening.  Details are exceptionally clean and the bass is very tight as well. 

Cheers,

John

zoom25

« Reply #1188 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:33 am »
Anyone listen to the LCD-2C out of the BHA-1?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #1189 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:56 pm »
In my experience the Audeze LCD series really benefits from a headphone amp with a lot of drive capability like the BHA-1.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1190 on: 21 Mar 2019, 07:25 pm »

I have the original LCD-2's with my BHA-1. Quite pleased.

odessamarin

« Reply #1191 on: 25 Mar 2019, 10:36 am »
My Audeze LCD-X headphones finally arrived at the local dealer after being on order for a few weeks.  I am running these through a customized BHA1 (reduced gain and locking balanced connectors) and all I can say is WOW!  The volume is at the 9 o'clock position and the volume is at a very comfortable level for long-term listening.  Details are exceptionally clean and the bass is very tight as well. 

Hi John, could yo share which cable you use and where I can get it? I (as many of us) have problem with gain of my beloved BHA-1. It's just too sensitive some times.
I really need to do this mode -6db.. to decrease gain. Seem a top secret mode, a lot talkin but nobody giving any details. Could we just figure-out form scheme which resistors and  where need to be changed to decrease gain. It's annoying issue for BHA-1 design. With my new Yggdrasil DAC form Sciit, i can't go more then 8 o'clook with balanced connection. Going up, it no linear anymore and distorted. Mids comes to loud and bass recessed (
I am willing to do this soldering to try ant report back. But need to know what to change in circuit. It so sucks to not use this grate amp potential (
Please help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/memgyyshw6ye63l/BHA1_SCHEMATICS.pdf?dl=0

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1192 on: 25 Mar 2019, 12:12 pm »
Hi John, could yo share which cable you use and where I can get it? I (as many of us) have problem with gain of my beloved BHA-1. It's just too sensitive some times.
I really need to do this mode -6db.. to decrease gain. Seem a top secret mode, a lot talkin but nobody giving any details. Could we just figure-out form scheme which resistors and  where need to be changed to decrease gain. It's annoying issue for BHA-1 design. With my new Yggdrasil DAC form Sciit, i can't go more then 8 o'clook with balanced connection. Going up, it no linear anymore and distorted. Mids comes to loud and bass recessed (
I am willing to do this soldering to try ant report back. But need to know what to change in circuit. It so sucks to not use this grate amp potential (
Please help.

Hi

Please contact Mike Pickett at Bryston and he will assist

mpickett@bryston.com

james

odessamarin

« Reply #1193 on: 25 Mar 2019, 04:33 pm »
Thank you James,
done.. waiting for reply!
hope to resolve.

odessamarin

« Reply #1194 on: 29 Mar 2019, 08:06 am »
Hi
Please contact Mike Pickett at Bryston and he will assist
mpickett@bryston.com
james

Send few emails, no reply (
any other way to get in touch with Bryston tech support?
thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1195 on: 29 Mar 2019, 10:42 am »
Resent for you

james

john1970

« Reply #1196 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:46 pm »
Please help.

I see James has already posted, but FYI all mods are done by Bryston at the factory.  I knew I wanted the modification upfront so I ordered it directly through my dealer with the lower gain and the locking balanced outputs on the front of the unit.

Best
John

odessamarin

« Reply #1197 on: 1 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm »
Thank you, while I wait for reply regarding gain decrease, I'd like to ask for some opinion.
The story strats after I am no happy how my new Yggdrasil DAC sounds with Brystone connected with balance XLR.
When it's unbalance RCA connection all is fine, but trough balanced interface, it somehow distorted. I hear strong mids while bass lack extention. And what is worst it's not scale with volume... with more gain, bass remains low and mids just go very loud and not pleasant. Some sort of non linearity is there. Like low spectrum truncated somehow.
While digging, i found out "interesting" balanced output realization in Yggdrasil. For some reason Earth (Pin 1) shorted with Negative signal (Pin 3). I heard sometimes it's used in consumable (not pro) level to avoid some issue. So  my guess, maybe Bryston as fully balanced just don't like this type of interface. Maybe somebody could help me. I though maybe disconnect Pin 1 inside one of the cable connector to avoid it spoil Brystne circuity? Any advice?
thx

odessamarin

« Reply #1198 on: 8 Apr 2019, 11:17 am »
Resent for you

james

No reply yet (
could you remind him please some how?
I send 3 emails.. nothing.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1199 on: 8 Apr 2019, 12:47 pm »
Have you tried using the BHA-1 balanced input with some other source? Input stage of an amplifier can overload with a high voltage signal. However, I checked the Schiit website and it states a maximum output of 4 V for the Iggy, therefore the same as a Bryston BDA-2 so this shouldn't be an issue.