Subs for Acoustic Zen Crescendos

LP1

Subs for Acoustic Zen Crescendos
« on: 8 May 2014, 06:22 pm »
I have a pair of Crescendo Mk.II in an 18x32x9.5 room, and while they sound very good, I think they struggle a little bit to provide a solid bass foundation to the music. Part of the problem may be that the dimensions/layout of the room do not allow me to get the speakers close to a solid rear wall to reinforce the bass. Accordingly, I am considering a pair of subs to mate with the the Crescendos. I have never used subs before, and based on some research on the Internet, I'm a bit intimidated regarding setup.

I would welcome any advice on proceeding down this path. I have not been able to find any info on Crescendo users who also employ subs.

One other issue I've been grappling with is whether it's wise to spend money adding subs to the Crescendos or just selling the Crescendos to buy a larger pair of speakers, perhaps with 15" bass drivers?

rbbert

Re: Subs for Acoustic Zen Crescendos
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2014, 09:32 pm »
I jave a pair of Crescendo Mk I's in a 23' x 14' x 10.5' room; I also have a VMPS larger sub, which (fortunately) has a very flexible Xover.  At this moment I am listening to the HDtracks Aaron Diehl "The Bespoke Man's Narrative" with the sub off, and even the low bass is pretty powerful.  The speakers are pretty close to the 1/5 point from both front and side walls.  When they are farther into the room they definiteely sound better with the sub on.

Before commiting to a sub, or especially a pair of subs, do some extensive experimentation with both speaker and listener position.  Yes, if you want response absolutely flat to under 30 Hz you will need a sub; if you want response flat to 40 Hz (the low note on a bass guitar or double bass) with a gentle roll-off (still plenty of energy on the 30 Hz organ notes) below that, you may not.