Just another reason why I really appreciate Salk speakers....

billmcc

I was just on another forum where there was a for sale post listing a pair of Ohm Super Walsh 2.200 speakers. Looking at the picture provided the walnut veneer doesn't come close to matching from speaker to speaker. The veneer on all three pairs of my Salk speakers match perfectly. It makes me really appreciate my Salk speakers even more so if that's possible :).

Bill

Ace Deprave

Wow, that shows an amazing lack of attention to detail, at least to me.

billmcc

Wow, that shows an amazing lack of attention to detail, at least to me.
I totally agree. After having Salk speakers with matched veneer that would drive me crazy!

Bill

Phil_S

There's a reason for that.  The 2000.2's  have updated drivers on cabinet that was made between 82-89 at a retail price of $800, for the pair.  That's about $1,800 in today's money.  They have to be heard to be appreciated.  Now I've heard Jim's speakers at Capital Audio Fest a few years ago powered by Van Alstine electronics.  Absolutely fabulous!  The craftsmanship is second to none.  But there's a huge price differential for floor standing speakers between them.

roscoe65

+1.  Matching veneers, high level fit and finish, and hand-built cabinetry  Take time and higher end materials.  Both of these are pricy.  You can’t expect an $800 (retail) speaker to offer these, especially one that goes through a traditional dealer network.

I own a couple recent pairs of Omega speakers.  These are hand-built and sold direct.  They have wonderful veneer, overbuilt cabinetry, and exceptional fit and finish.  They don’t have the same high end hand finish in as Salk, but anyone who looks at them would admire their workmanship.  The catch is that a standmont speaker with real wood veneer and a low parts count still cost $1,600 direct from the manufacturer.

With rare exceptions, the cabinet has traditionally been the most expensive component of any speaker system.

billmcc

There's a reason for that.  The 2000.2's  have updated drivers on cabinet that was made between 82-89 at a retail price of $800, for the pair.  That's about $1,800 in today's money.  They have to be heard to be appreciated.  Now I've heard Jim's speakers at Capital Audio Fest a few years ago powered by Van Alstine electronics.  Absolutely fabulous!  The craftsmanship is second to none.  But there's a huge price differential for floor standing speakers between them.
If you look at the Ohm site they list the line of the Walsh Tall 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 speakers. In all of the pictures they only show one speaker not pairs. On the Salk site the speakers are shown in pairs so one can see how the veneer is matched. The picture below (not from the Ohm site) is of the Walsh 2000 Tall that lists for $2800 a pair. One can clearly see that the veneer does not match. The SongTowers list for $1995 with matched veneer. The Walsh 5000 Tall lists for $6,600 a pair and I would hope at that cost the veneer matches from speaker to speaker. Couldn't find a picture of a pair Walsh 5000 Tall speakers to see if that's true or not.

I'm not trying to slam Ohm speakers. As teenager back in the 70's their speakers were my dream speaker. But the question of cost doesn't seem to be the factor as current Ohm speakers are up there in cost. They just don't seem to have the same level of craftsmanship in regard to the cabinetry.

http://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-tall/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5diU_8bw1gIVzB6GCh0Q1whcEAQYASABEgKiQvD_BwE#wt-2000