Who Owns the Lawrence Audio Double Bass Speakers.

Kdude66

Who Owns the Lawrence Audio Double Bass Speakers.
« on: 24 Mar 2018, 12:38 am »
Hello All,

I will be receiving my Double Bass speakers Wed or Thru of next wk,I’ve admired the looks and driver implementation ever since they were first introduced.They will go up against my Silverline Bolero Supremes and my fav. will stay in my main system.They will be powered by one of two amps only,Lyngdorf 2170 and 3400 that I will buy in a few months,so no suggestions are really needed.

I’m interested in owners impressions about overall sonics,positioning especially the rake angle of the unusual front baffle,and also footers and or platforms.

If I like these speakers I probably will keep them a very long time,yeah I’ve said that before with others.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

jsm71

Re: Who Owns the Lawrence Audio Double Bass Speakers.
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2018, 07:42 pm »
The Lawrence speakers I've seen and heard at shows have always looked and sounded good.  The double bass model is a beast.  I hope you are having them professionally delivered and set up.  I would be afraid to try to get these into a house even with trusted friends.

Pics please after you get them set up.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2018, 07:59 pm »
Hello, Kenny.

I have never heard your Silverline speakers, but I have listened to the double bass speakers in the Lawrence Audio showroom in Taipei (Neihu actually).

The sole reason I didn’t buy a pair was that I couldn’t afford them. I got to hear them powered by my modest Nuprime ST-10 amp and my D Sachs Model 2 6SN7 preamp which Lawrence had graciously allowed me to bring. While the speakers sounded quite good with my equipment, it was obvious that they perform best with excellent source gear. On hand in the showroom were a DartZeel amp and a Soulution amp. I’ve forgotten which preamp was being used, but it was battery powered.  Powered by either of those amps the Double Bass disappered and the entire room became a concert hall.

Enjoy your journey and post your impressions.

Regards,

Michael

Kdude66

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2018, 01:27 am »
Thank you gentlemen for your posts,
I will get the speakers on Thursday the 29th,they Offcourse will be coming via freight in very heavy wood crates.The Speakers only weigh 130 lbs each and will be easily managed by me and a friend,single story house.

I already have some ISO acoustics Galia footers and hardwood bases for them,the double bass speaker is ported on the bottom,so probably will have to adjust the gap along with the position as well.

I have received some basic positioning guidelines from the dealer that I bought them from,the speaker has such a unusual baffle that a guy really needs to pay close attention to the rake angle.

I have a very high end digital front end and I only will be using my Lyngdorf tdai-2170 to pwr them,the 2170 is a end game product for me with the exception of the new 3400 when my bank account recovers.LOL.

The Lyngdorf replaced for me several amps,preamps and dac’s that are no longer needed.

I most definitely will put up some pics when I can.

Kenny.

Kdude66

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2018, 01:41 am »
The Silverline Bolero Supremes are a 3 way design using all Dynaudio drivers including the esotar tweeter,in a very nice shaped cabenit that avoids standing waves.

What makes the difference is they are a 8ohm load and are 92db with 1 watt,and the crossovers are very simple with only one coil on the woofer and one coil and cap on the mid and tweeter used as a simple single order 6db 2 way at 4500hz.

They sound very similar to a contour 60 but much easier to drive and they have surprisingly good bass to 30hz flat in room.

If I like the double basses better I will move the Bolero’s into my 2nd system and then also change the coils,caps and internal wiring to something a little better.

I bought the Bolero’s from a reputable dealer used on Audiogon and only paid 6k for them,they are like brand new and didn’t even have a smudge on them.

Kenny.

Kdude66

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:21 am »
As promised here’s a couple of quick pics.
I just had time today to roughly position them and OMG they are just glorious.

Kdude66

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:25 am »
I had to peek inside and take a look,removed the front baffle and took out the 12 inch woofer to have a look at the crossover parts.
I see some upgrades in the future.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2018, 02:56 am »
Has the XO got no name caps, or just inexpensive caps?

Lawrence has got to be a genius for creating so many fine speaker designs. He does claim to be the sole designer behind all of his speakers. His home system is just amazing to behold (visually and aurally). He lives a few stories above his showroom.

If he'd offered to discount them when I auditioned them, I'd probably have a pair of these (or the Cellos) in my living room. I had expected to get a discount considering it would have been factory direct.

Enjoy!

Kdude66

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2018, 08:06 pm »
Oh no,crossovers have a mix of Mundorfs.
Just 2 days of listening so far but I can tell I want to keep these for sure.

My goal is to purchase 2 nice sets of speakers before I retire in a few yrs and when I do I want to design and build my own set,mainly just for fun.

Enjoy the music,
Kenny.