which Kind of Blue CD?

firedog

which Kind of Blue CD?
« on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:44 am »
Hi

Want to get a new, better copy of "Kind of Blue". I've heard the 1997 Columbia release, which sounds much better than what I now own.

I see there is also a 50th anniversary "Legacy" version.

Which sounds better? Again, I'm talking CD/DVD, not vinyl. My main interest is SQ. The bonus tracks are nice, but won't be what determines which one I buy.

jimdgoulding

Re: which Kind of Blue CD?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 09:53 am »
I can't say for sure but the Legacy 50th Anniversary was given to me by my daughter for my birthday but besides that, it sounds awfully good.  Best I've heard via digital for balance, presense and detail.

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:35 pm »

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2011, 02:37 pm »
I would love to hear the vinyl version (the 45 they talk about in the article).   Didn't know there was a big difference in CD copies until I picked up the Sony re-release (I think it's from 99) with the slower play speed.  It made my older, original CD version sound like an AM radio.  There is some hiss, which I understand the latest release eliminates.  That would be cool but I'm used to the hiss, having heard this one a thousand times.   

Mike Nomad

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:53 pm »
Having listened to every version released on CD, get the re-issue from '99 (the current catalog issue - retails for around USD $10).

The version in the 50th anniversary set would be my second choice... There seems to be some detail missing.

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:16 pm »
Having listened to every version released on CD, get the re-issue from '99 (the current catalog issue - retails for around USD $10).

The version in the 50th anniversary set would be my second choice... There seems to be some detail missing.

Thanks for the suggestion.   I have my eyes open for the 50th at the used CD store.  It is supposed to have less hiss but it sounds like some details were lost in the process. 

gundam91

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2011, 06:44 am »
I have pretty much every version of this album in CD and LP, except the 6-eye stereo LP. Bought the 50-year anniversary box on an impulse a few months back. My latest acquisition is the Japanese Blue Spec CD. I have another Japanese CD from the 90s, and it sounded superb. Unfortunately my entire system and music collection is in storage right now while my house is going under a major remodeling, so I cannot tell you whether this Blue Spec CD is any good.

FrankC

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2011, 05:02 pm »
I have the very first verson on CD, and the remastered one that came out later. Also have the SACD version, and at least six copies on vinyl. The 45 rpm is without a doubt the best, but dosn't really show it's true colors unless it's played in a high end system. For most folks the 33 1/3 from Classics is extremely good. I own the Six Eyes with the exception of the mono version. The Classics in my system are a touch quieter, but otherwise there's little difference. I've never had the chance to listen to the Mosaic, but somewhere is my record stash I have a new copy! For CD's the remastered 1997 version (the cheap one at that!) is my prefered version. I actually like it better than the SACD for some odd reason. But trust me it won't run with an LP.
gary

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2011, 05:22 pm »
I have the very first verson on CD, and the remastered one that came out later. Also have the SACD version, and at least six copies on vinyl. The 45 rpm is without a doubt the best, but dosn't really show it's true colors unless it's played in a high end system. For most folks the 33 1/3 from Classics is extremely good. I own the Six Eyes with the exception of the mono version. The Classics in my system are a touch quieter, but otherwise there's little difference. I've never had the chance to listen to the Mosaic, but somewhere is my record stash I have a new copy! For CD's the remastered 1997 version (the cheap one at that!) is my prefered version. I actually like it better than the SACD for some odd reason. But trust me it won't run with an LP.
gary

This kind of thing makes me sorry I  sold my vinyl setup!  I miss it and can't imagine how great KOB sounds on vinyl.  I have a CD version of Nat King Cole, After Midnight, and the original vinyl version is so much better.  The CD has alternate takes and is a decent recording but I'll take the pops and scratches (my copy is old) over the CD any time.  I love the convenience of CD's but vinyl is amazing. 

Why hasn't modern technology overtaken an old technolgy? Maybe we aren't as advanced as we think.

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:07 pm »
as much as I love "Kinda Blue", I think I like the "Funny Valentine" recordings better (some folks refer to this as the CORE Concert). There's just something in there that gives me chills when I listen to the fellow yelling in the background during "Stella By Starlight!" Just listening to the trumpet on My Funny Valentine will make a bad day turn golden. There just ain't no bad tunes on that disc! My kid gave me the "Live At The Blackhawk" bioxed set a couple years ago, and I highly recommend this one as well. There's fire in those recordings, and they'll grab you by the juglar and not turn you aloose anytime soon! But alas I still think Miles apex was "Bitch's Brew."

So many tunes and not enough time over the next two lifetimes!
gary