Tube connectors in amplifier?

Metfit77@gmail.com

Tube connectors in amplifier?
« on: 15 Mar 2024, 12:41 pm »
Hi, has anyone installed tube connectors instead of binding posts in an amplifier? Any issues getting them to hold properly on a thin metal back plate?

I am making some Folsom ec7293 monoblocks and I don't want to cut any corner quality wise.

mkrawcz

Re: Tube connectors in amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2024, 03:58 pm »
You really need something on the inside to hold them like a nut and keep them sturdy like this.

KTS

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2024, 10:02 pm »
You really need something on the inside to hold them like a nut and keep them sturdy like this.

Have you noticed as much difference as you do on the speaker? I built the XLS Encore’s a while back with both tube/standard terminals and the difference was very noticeable, just curious if it is it is the same on the amplifier outputs? Sorry not trying to hijack the post.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2024, 10:04 pm »
Have you noticed as much difference as you do on the speaker? I built the XLS Encore’s a while back with both tube/standard terminals and the difference was very noticeable, just curious if it is it is the same on the amplifier outputs? Sorry not trying to hijack the post.

Depends on what you have on the amp originally.  If it's generic/brass/crap, then there's a big difference.  But, on the other hand, if you have high end WBT binding posts, not a huge difference.

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2024, 11:53 pm »
I haven’t really put them on any amps so i can t really say. This one is actually the GR research GK10 which is why it has them. But for my diy amps, I use these exclusively. They sound better than most binding posts I’ve tried. They’re pure copper, low mass.
https://partsconnexion.com/products/klei-classic-harmony-binding-posts?_pos=4&_sid=35bc47fce&_ss=r

KTS

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2024, 02:08 am »
Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated.

Jaytor

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2024, 02:25 am »
I recommend something like this. I got these from McMaster.com. nylon shaft collar.