Cabling for new Quatros

RandyH

Cabling for new Quatros
« on: 28 Jan 2017, 03:10 pm »
I will be receiving my new Quatros in a few weeks and am beginning to think about cabling options (speaker cable and power cable to the sub amp).  I currently am using an internally bi-wired pair of Cardas Cross speaker cables.  My original intention was to continue using these with the Quatro.  However, upon further examination I have concluded that the Cardas spades will not fit inside the narrow mounting strips on the speaker.  I can have Cardas re-terminate these for me at a cost of approximately $60 per termination.  8 spade replacement X $60 plus shipping will cost me around $500 just to be able to use my existing cable.  The Cardas Cross is a good cable but is kind of in the middle of the Cardas line.  Would I be better off just getting a new set of speaker cables?  I don't want to go crazy expensive with speaker cables but I don't really want to spend $500 just to make my 15 year old cables compatible with my new speaker.

The other question has to do with power cables for the subwoofers.  Have any of you found that these make a difference compared to the power cords supplied with the speakers?  If so, what are some recommendations?

mikeeastman

Re: Cabling for new Quatros
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2017, 03:33 pm »
Why not remove the spade connectors and connect the bare wire to the mounting strips.

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2017, 08:07 pm »
That's crazy expensive to just change the terminations!

If it were me, I'd definitely sell the old, and buy something different with the terminations you need -- buy used to keep costs down.  Gotta be cheaper than what they quoted you.

I know it's work, but for example,  if you bought the same as your current cable but with correct terminations, it should be close to a financial wash.  Cardas is popular cable, it must pop up fairly often used.

Another option is to pay a local tech or hobbyist to do it for you.  Not hard, just takes some know how.  Surely not brain surgery, and will be cheaper than Cardas rip-off prices.

Or do as mike suggested.   Zero cost, and removing a link in the chain might just yield sonic benefit.

Lancelot

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2017, 12:14 am »

I suppose this affects  my response but having used the cables you now use  I think that you can do considerably better ( the older Cardas IMO were not  very transparent and rolled off ) especially with the quality of your components. That means less than the re-termination fee ( which is excessive to me)

Given the  value of the U.S. dollar vs  the Canadian dollar ( plus low 30% approx. ) you can save a bundle by trying Audio Sensibility Cables ( OCC copper ) in Toronto. You get to try the cables for 30 days and I think free shipping. If you don't like them you simply return them.

Another option would be Take Five Audio in Ontario also. They custom make Mogami 3103 0r 3104 ( biwire ) speaker cables -- seem by many to be real sleepers and excellent value. No free trial though.

I have no connection to either company other than a very satisfied customer.   Check their websites
 call them.

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2017, 01:36 am »
I went with 2 pair (shotgun bi-wire) of the AudioQuest CV-8 cables. Music Direct has them starting at $350 per-pair.  Sell the Cardas.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2017, 02:42 am »
I sold off my High Fidelity Ultimate Reference for a much better and much cheaper cable 1/10 the price:  Antipodes Reference, paulhovenga@manymoonsaudio.com   Excellent pricing.

They are coming out with new power cables too.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2017, 03:01 am »
Why not remove the spade connectors and connect the bare wire to the mounting strips.

I have heard that many Cardas speaker cables have special insulation that must be stripped from groups of wires. It's reportedly not a simple task. Anyway, I would sell your current cables and find something that fits your speaker terminals.

Congrats on the Vandy's!

Gbob

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2017, 09:19 pm »
Audioquest has been the recommended cable for Vandie's. The Rocket 88 can be found for not too much used.
I am in the process of having some Rockefeller cabling cut down and re-terminated, though I haven't gotten the bill yet.
Mr. V. recommends spades for his speakers, too bad he keeps making those narrow barrier strips. :evil:
Even the M5-HP crossovers have AQ sky for the pigtails. I think I heard he uses AQ for internal wiring, but cannot confirm this.
Maybe use the Cardas for the sub?

RandyH

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2017, 01:48 pm »
I went with 2 pair (shotgun bi-wire) of the AudioQuest CV-8 cables. Music Direct has them starting at $350 per-pair.  Sell the Cardas.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may try this.  I assume the AQ spades fit inside the barriers ok?  Is it kind of crowded behind the speaker where those two cables and four connectors all come together around the barrier strip? 

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2017, 02:44 pm »
Given John Rutan at Audio Connection a call.  He will tell you what to get.  He works closely with both Vandersteen and Audioquest.  One option would be to get a pair of external bi-wire for each speaker and audioquest will terminate them at the amp side into 1 pair of spades for each side (left and right).  That's what I did with my model 7s.  That is by far the best set up for Vandersteen.  You just have to decide the price point for the cables.

Gbob

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2017, 12:36 am »
Yup, Johnny is the best.
He's doing my cables as we speak. Unfortunately, AQ seems to be backed up.

nrenter

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2017, 03:11 am »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I may try this.  I assume the AQ spades fit inside the barriers ok?  Is it kind of crowded behind the speaker where those two cables and four connectors all come together around the barrier strip?

I humbly submit the worst equipment photo...actually it's not as bad as I thought. The CV-8 isn't a firehouse cable (kind of a shock coming from Purist cables). Not congested at all.

tipatina

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2017, 03:59 am »
How exactly do you hook these up? Just the 4 speaker cables as shown or are there separate speaker cables to the built in sub? Is there a box that has to go between preamp and amp like on the separate Vandy subs? I have to live with some DIY biwire cables that go through my wall (WAF) for my 3A sigs. So I've never been able to accommodate the Vandy subs to go along with my 3A sigs.

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm »
With Quatros, the only connections between the power amp and the speakers are the bi-wired speaker cables.  The subwoofer is built in with its own amp.

Using a Vandy sub with 3As requires a separate set of speaker cables which you would need to add to your current setup.

nrenter

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2017, 04:12 pm »
There's a couple things I recommend if going with the shotgun bi-wire CV-8s...

1. Order a set of replacement batteries (if you get them in-bulk on Amazon, replacement isn't that expensive). The batteries that come with the DBS packs will test fine, but you have no idea how old they are. If these cables truly are new-old-stock, the stock batteries may be several years old - I don't want to take a chance of them leaking anytime soon. Plus, I can now keep track of their age.

2. Once you feel like your speakers are broken in, swap the cable on the mid bass / bass drivers for the cable on the tweeter / mid range drivers. The current delivery through each of the cables is very different, and break-in each of the cables differently.

If you're not a cable or "break-in" believer, please ignore this post. I heard a difference, and even if there actually wasn't a difference, it was a cheap, easy, and quick psychological improvement.

nrenter

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2017, 11:46 pm »

ctsooner

« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2017, 08:00 pm »
Sorry, late to the party.  I'm in the same boat actually.  I'm having my Quatro's built as I type this.  I have been using an 8' run of AQ internal bi wired Castle Rock cables. I'm going to sell mine to whomever wants them and buy two Castle Rock cables for a true bi wire.  I've heard these at Johnny's and they are a true component upgrade.  To me, that's the key in buying anything.  Is it a true upgrade or not.  I've heard the Antipodes that Ketch talks about and they are wonderful cables.  I still like the AQ cables with VAndersteens speakers as they are so neutral and that's what Richard uses.  I personally won't buy a used cable unless I know the person selling the cable.  All too often they are stressed at the connectors or sometimes they can even be counterfeit.  AQ isn't lying when they say there are a ton of counterfit cables out there and it's not just their cables either.  Lot's of Cardas stuff too as they make the wire for so many makers.  Cardas's new cables are outstanding and very neutral also, but I just love the AQ stuff for price/perf. 

If anyone wants to really upgrade the sound of their speakers and don't have the Castle Rock, get in touch, lol...I haven't even put an ad together as I just decided to sell this morning.

nrenter

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:08 am »
I'm a bit dubious on the asymmetrical wire dielectric strategy of the new AQ line (when using a fully-balanced source), but to be fair, I haven't heard any of the new line.

Bob Stark

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:36 am »
I've used Amadi Maddie Signature silver wires with jumpers rather than biwiring.  They sound phenominal in all ways.  Phil at Amadi could make a pair of biwired ones for some cost.  He charges $600 for at 8 ft. stereo pair.  These cables had tighter and deeper bass and airier highs with better clarity than my previous MG Audio Planus III cables.  The MG's were the first relatively high cost cables I'd actually liked in my system and were MUCH better than the Morrow MA-5 biwired cables and Speltz Anticables 3 I had before.  The MG's were $1900.  Phil advertises in Audiogon with a new ad about every other month.

ctsooner

« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2017, 04:17 pm »
I'm a bit dubious on the asymmetrical wire dielectric strategy of the new AQ line (when using a fully-balanced source), but to be fair, I haven't heard any of the new line.

Easy to be dubious IRT cables as too many snake oil guys/gals have occupied that industry over the years.  That said, AQ has stood the test of time and always delivered at all price ranges.  They are highly neutral and some folks feel they need more sparkle or to dull their systems.  I say, get the right components and stop tuning with cables. 

That said, go listen for yourself and learn about how they sound and not how they are made.  JMHO.  I've heard the difference running internal and external bi wire along with using jumpers on Vandersteen speakers.  The jumpers to my ears are not in the conversation.  Internal biwire is outstanding when AQ does it, but running two separate cables is like a full component upgrade in the systems I've heard it in.  Again, JMHO.  You don't have to spend an arm and a leg either, but it's pretty easy to borrow a pair or two of AQ cables in all price ranges to run up against other less expensive alternatives.  Just go audition...the problem is that most folks don't want to take the time to.  Even after I purchase and have the system set up, I'll always take the chance of bringing in other cables.  I did this with Nordost, Transparent and I also ran my older MIT 770 MH which is very expensive as it's the same 770 able they use for their Spectral line.  AQ and then Cardas are my two favorites for Vandersteen speakers so far.  JMHO.  Fun reading about others successes and I'm sure I'll try to get those others cables in the system to listen.