SP 3.0?

Phil A

Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #100 on: 20 Apr 2008, 08:39 pm »
James

Would you consider a different type of display screen on the SP3?  Reason I'm asking is that I have SP1.7 it's been only 3 years and the display no longer works.  I bought the SP1.7 thinking that it can be upgraded in the future but with the SP3 and all the options I hope it still can be.  That's why I haven't sent it in yet and want to see what happens. My main concern is that every few years I will need to send it in to get the display fixed or replaced and just thought I'd suggest a more reliable display screen.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes we are looking at a number of different displays with long life as one of the main criteria.

james

Perhaps either a RS232 port to connect to any video switcher with RS232 or an optional composite display output with the ability to turn off the display.  I already have a 19 inch TV not far from the listening chair (about 7 ft.).  I have a cheap video switcher with a number of things. hooked to it.  I don't want to turn on the main system projector and waste bulb life so for things like DVD-A menus, my DVD Recorder (which I may used once or twice a yr. for stuff like dubbing a vacation video), I can view my front door via a 2.4G camera and I since I had it laying around I took a broken 8mm camcorder (the camera still works) and I have it zoomed in on the front of the SP 1.7 display since it is small and hard to read and have the camcorder connected to the small TV.  I started out with a cheap $25 B&W TV but it was too hard to read and then a cheap 13 inch color TV but it was bulky and ugly (not to mention it was not widescreen - like the universal player is set for - which sometimes also skewed and made it hard to read as well.  I had points on a VISA card and for about $30 I decided to get the 19 inch widescreen LCD.

I surprised a display would go after only 3 yrs.  My Onkyo 6 disc changer is about 15 years old. For many years it was in the bedroom system and then for a short period disconnected and then for many years it is now in the basement system and it has been on all of the time except for the very short period (perhaps 6-7 mos.) it was disconnected and it still looks fine and is fairly easy to read from a distance comparted to the SP 1.7.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #101 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:47 pm »
Hello all,
This thread prompted me to register as a member to this site. It is awesome be able to converse with Mr. Tanner about the upcoming SP3. I am a happy Bryston customer, with a SP1.7, 9BST, and 14BST matched with B&W 803 mains and 804 for center and surrounds.  I was starting to look around at pre amp processors from other companies, such as Denon, Arcam and Anthem because I wanted a high quality processor to use HDMI to decode the hi resolution formats on the Blu Ray and SACD/ DVD Audio discs. I am very excited to hear that Bryston is working on a new processor, and that there are plans for a trade-in plan. The trade in plan, coupled with Bryston quality will keep me from buying another brand. Keep up the great work and I’ll be patiently waiting for the SP3s release. I would like to add that some sort of room EQ correction would be on my list for a feature on the SP3.       Thanks, Pete

Phil A

« Reply #102 on: 24 Apr 2008, 01:05 pm »
Hello all,
This thread prompted me to register as a member to this site. It is awesome be able to converse with Mr. Tanner about the upcoming SP3. I am a happy Bryston customer, with a SP1.7, 9BST, and 14BST matched with B&W 803 mains and 804 for center and surrounds.  I was starting to look around at pre amp processors from other companies, such as Denon, Arcam and Anthem because I wanted a high quality processor to use HDMI to decode the hi resolution formats on the Blu Ray and SACD/ DVD Audio discs. I am very excited to hear that Bryston is working on a new processor, and that there are plans for a trade-in plan. The trade in plan, coupled with Bryston quality will keep me from buying another brand. Keep up the great work and I’ll be patiently waiting for the SP3s release. I would like to add that some sort of room EQ correction would be on my list for a feature on the SP3.       Thanks, Pete

Marantz actually has one coming out this week (my dealer will be getting one) or next.  It has HD Radio, Networking, balanced outs and lots of other bells and whistles and lists for $2,599.  We'll see how it sounds on 2-channel music though.  I'm skeptical but open minded enough to give it a listen. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #103 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:07 pm »
Update:

Got the back panel layout done this week.  Looks like the SP3 will have to be 3 rack spaces high to get everything on it we need.

Still waiting for the HD chips to arrive.

james

Krobar

« Reply #104 on: 26 Apr 2008, 08:39 am »
Hi James,

Any thoughts on DSD and Flow Control support over HDMI?

flom

« Reply #105 on: 5 May 2008, 03:00 pm »
Update:

Got the back panel layout done this week.  Looks like the SP3 will have to be 3 rack spaces high to get everything on it we need.

Still waiting for the HD chips to arrive.

james

Hi James, so finally the same size than predecessors?

Fabien

antt

« Reply #106 on: 6 May 2008, 02:20 am »
James

Would you consider a different type of display screen on the SP3?  Reason I'm asking is that I have SP1.7 it's been only 3 years and the display no longer works.  I bought the SP1.7 thinking that it can be upgraded in the future but with the SP3 and all the options I hope it still can be.  That's why I haven't sent it in yet and want to see what happens. My main concern is that every few years I will need to send it in to get the display fixed or replaced and just thought I'd suggest a more reliable display screen.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes we are looking at a number of different displays with long life as one of the main criteria.

james

Hi James,

Have you considered other ways of displaying information? 

How about putting a set of LED's in a "Dolby-box" formation - same as you see on a DVD case - to show which speakers are active.  I think I saw some Harmon Kardon Receivers doing this once.  I think that's alot more intuitive than reading numbers off the display.

Or what about adding an LED to the volume nob so you can easily see its position?  Or even a fluorescent spot!  Something to make it easier to see in low light. If I understand correctly your still required to have the display because of THX requirements.  But the additions I suggest would certainly make it more intuitive to use.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 6 May 2008, 02:32 am »
James

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

james

Hi James,

Have you considered other ways of displaying information? 

How about putting a set of LED's in a "Dolby-box" formation - same as you see on a DVD case - to show which speakers are active.  I think I saw some Harmon Kardon Receivers doing this once.  I think that's alot more intuitive than reading numbers off the display.

Or what about adding an LED to the volume nob so you can easily see its position?  Or even a fluorescent spot!  Something to make it easier to see in low light. If I understand correctly your still required to have the display because of THX requirements.  But the additions I suggest would certainly make it more intuitive to use.

Hi,

I will past this along to engineering.

james

Tolstoi

« Reply #108 on: 14 May 2008, 07:00 pm »
James,

Will it be possible to connect the SP3.0 to a Music Server through HDMI that would feed directly HiRez FLAC type of file format?

A second HDMI output would be great.  I have a setup where a LCD TV is used most of the TV watching and a projector for DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, TV. I sure the other using a similar setup and a second HMDI out (it doesn't need to be alive at the same time) would be great.

MOZ

« Reply #109 on: 15 May 2008, 01:42 pm »
A second HDMI output would be great.  I have a setup where a LCD TV is used most of the TV watching and a projector for DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, TV. I sure the other using a similar setup and a second HMDI out (it doesn't need to be alive at the same time) would be great.

+10
The same for me, i really need 2 HDMI out, one for my flat TV and one for my JVC HD100 !!!

Jabroni

« Reply #110 on: 1 Jun 2008, 08:50 pm »
What about stripping the Digital surround out of the traded in SP2's and offering them for sale as a nice inexpensive STEREO Analog/Digital Preamp?

james

James,

& / Or how about a digital switcher for those of us dedicated 2 channel guys who already have a Bryston pre / integrated but also have a DVD player, computer and a couple of satellite boxes?

Remote controlled
Ins: 1 USB front, 1 USB back,  1 XLRm, 3 optical, 3 coax
Outs: 1 optical, 1 coax, 1 XLR

USBs could be omitted if it would add too much to the price.

This is eerily close to my first ever post on this forum back in January 2005. The main differences is back then, I wanted more inputs and I thought that optical sounded better than coax from my soundcard (I no longer think there's a difference):

"my 2 bell express vu satellite receivers only have optical outs
my panasonic dvd recorder only has an optical out
my DVD player has both coax and optical outputs
I use the optical out of my soundcard because it sounds better (John Atkinson of Stereopile found the same thing in his review of the RME soundcard in Novemeber 2000 - think it has something to do with refractions and long cable lengths)

Aside from the extra satellite receiver this is not an unreasonable system in terms of digital input requirements.  Surely I must not be the only one with this problem.  Even if I had the SP1.7 I would still have a problem with having sufficient appropriate inputs.

So James, what I would really like to buy is not a Bryston CD player or even a stand alone DAC but rather a hi quality, remote controlled Bryston digital input / output box with minimum 4 optical, 4 coax and 2 XLR inputs and 2 optical, 2 coax and 2 XLR outputs.  Users would be able to output to the DAC portion of their BP25/26 or B60 as well as a soundcard or TACT / Z systems type equalizer using whatever output they found sounded best. 

Also it would be imperative that there be no clicks or pops whatsoever on input switching or when you change the channels off the satellite or the song changes off the hard drive as happens with an older but highly regarded processor I bought second hand to use soley to accomodate all of my digital inputs (not to mention the signal bleeding that occurs from one input to the other - I eventually wound up solving the pops and clicks by first routing the satellite and soundcard outputs through the inputs of a MD recorder before sending it on to the processor - not a very elegant solution).

I would be willing to pay $1200 if it had the Bryston name on it.  Surely I can't be the only 2 channel guy who needs a hi quality consumer switcher for all his digital sources. 

Make it and we will buy :)

phunge

« Reply #111 on: 10 Jun 2008, 02:21 pm »
I would also love to find a way to better integrate a BP26 (or BP27?) with the SP3.

My main priority is 2ch listening, and while the SP2 has the pre-amp circuit from the BP25 (I believe), I would still prefer to have a seperate pre-amp for 2ch listening (Analog only, paired with the upcoming standalone DAC).  A lot of pre-amps now have a 'processor' input, that when activated simply connects that input to the output bypassing everything including the volume control.  One problem with this setup is if you use a universal disc player for movies and music, you need to swap cables in order to have it connected to the pre-amp for redbook CDs or 2ch SACD, and the processor for DVD-A, Movies, etc.

I gotta think there there is a better way to integrate a processor and analog pre-amp, as seperate components, especially when it's the same company building both units.  If bryston could figure out a way to tightly integrate an analog pre-amp with a surround sound processor, while still allowing for seperate units, I would definitely sell all my gear in favor of an all-bryston system (with the exception of the DVD player, of course).

antt

« Reply #112 on: 15 Jun 2008, 06:11 am »
Update:

Got the back panel layout done this week.  Looks like the SP3 will have to be 3 rack spaces high to get everything on it we need. . .

james

I'm not surprised.  To me it was obvious Bryston wanted to make the SP 1 the same size as one of their top end 2 channel products.  Unfortunately, it's a five channel processor, and should have been made larger to reflect connection needs.  I like my SP 1.7 very much, but always felt the size choice was a poor decision.  With the way things are going, I think this is a good idea.  God only knows what additional connection needs are going to come next.

On the other hand, I'm hoping they're not going for an "everything but the kitchen sink" design.  I like the simplicity and efficiency of the SP 1.7.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 15 Jun 2008, 10:20 am »
Update:

Got the back panel layout done this week.  Looks like the SP3 will have to be 3 rack spaces high to get everything on it we need. . .

james

I'm not surprised.  To me it was obvious Bryston wanted to make the SP 1 the same size as one of their top end 2 channel products.  Unfortunately, it's a five channel processor, and should have been made larger to reflect connection needs.  I like my SP 1.7 very much, but always felt the size choice was a poor decision.  With the way things are going, I think this is a good idea.  God only knows what additional connection needs are going to come next.

On the other hand, I'm hoping they're not going for an "everything but the kitchen sink" design.  I like the simplicity and efficiency of the SP 1.7.

Hi antt,

Yes job one is to build a state of the art AUDIO Surround Processor like we did with the SP1 and SP2.

james

MOZ

« Reply #114 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:38 pm »
Hi antt,

Yes job one is to build a state of the art AUDIO Surround Processor like we did with the SP1 and SP2.

james

So James,

Where are we from the release date now ?
6 month, a year... more ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #115 on: 15 Jun 2008, 07:03 pm »
Hi antt,

james

So James,

Where are we from the release date now ?
6 month, a year... more ?

We are looking at volume controls and displays presently and hope to have the HD chips in house this month.

james

MOZ

« Reply #116 on: 16 Jun 2008, 08:22 am »
Ok James,

But what about my question ?
When do you expect the SP3 "should/might" be ready... ?
I get a lot of demands in France concerning the dead line...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 16 Jun 2008, 10:20 am »
Ok James,

But what about my question ?
When do you expect the SP3 "should/might" be ready... ?
I get a lot of demands in France concerning the dead line...

HI Moz,

Not sure as there is still lots to do.  I should know more in a few weeks.

james

DMF

« Reply #118 on: 16 Jun 2008, 02:01 pm »
James,

I know it's too early for a price quote, but what is the targeted range for this piece? Just looking for some kind of a ballpark figure.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #119 on: 16 Jun 2008, 02:09 pm »
James,

I know it's too early for a price quote, but what is the targeted range for this piece? Just looking for some kind of a ballpark figure.

Thanks!

Hi DMF - we think about $6000 US.

james