"attach" or bolt monitor speaker to speaker stand

batmanslc2

"attach" or bolt monitor speaker to speaker stand
« on: 6 Feb 2010, 07:45 pm »
It is curious to me that more monitor speakers are not bolted or screwed to the speaker stand they are sitting on.  I've seen a couple of designs that are that way, but not many.  I am running quad 12L active monitors sitting on plateau 24 " stands filled with sand.  Underneath speakers are Herbies big fat dots    http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm#bigfat   These work well, but if someone "bumps" into speaker (grandkids dancing to my music) they will fall off easily.

Why not drill a hole (near center) of stand platform to allow the appropriate size bolt or screw to tap into bottom of speaker? My quads have a thick (mdf) pad on the bottom, so if measured correctly the screw would not even enter the inside chamber. 

I am thinking this would "Pull" the speaker onto the dots and make for a secure, stable interface with more "mass" and maybe improved sonics. If I needed to adjust the toe in, I could just loosen the connection a bit to adjust toe in angle. 

So what do you guys think of this brainstorm? The only negative I can think of is a hole in the bottom of speaker, which I can deal with.  what size hardware would you recommend?  Thanks!

drphoto

Re: "attach" or bolt monitor speaker to speaker stand
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2010, 08:36 pm »
I'm sure it would work, but blu-tak will definitely 'glue' your speakers to your stands. Now I'm sure you like your Herbie's and don't want to go blu-tak only, so why not use a couple of big blobs that will span the space and squash 'em down, 'till they stick? I'd think your mod might really hurt your resale, just in case your ever decide to sell.

Like a lot of people, I use blu-tak only, and you have to work to pop the speaker free from the stand.

So there's my 2 cents.

j

chasmo

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm »
Like a lot of people, I use blu-tak only, and you have to work to pop the speaker free from the stand.

I second drphoto's suggestion to use Blu-tak.
Living in quake-prone California, I've had a speaker topple off a spiked stand in the past. Having small kids or pets makes this situation unacceptable, so I solved it with the Blu-tak (one pea-sized blob under each corner of the cabinet holds it fast to the stand).

If you're "stuck" using the Herbies big fat dots, you can use a bit of silicone RTV on each side to hold them to the cabinets/stands(which later can be peeled off with some effort). 

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:30 pm »
Well, if you are persistent, they do make T-nuts that can be permanently installed on the bottom of your speakers from the inside. So that means you have to open the cabinet, drill some holes and install the T-nuts. However, I'm not a big fan of doing shit like this. The other concern is that the kids could knock the whole thing over, so are you going to bolt the stands down to the floor?

Just askin'

Wayner  :D

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2010, 09:56 pm »
Just to clarify, I'm suggesting, the OP keep his Herbies (as he likes them) and add blu-tak, in the space created, not replace the footers. I can be a bit inarticulate most of the time.  :?

But Wayner does make a good point. Now the whole assembly can get knocked over.  :scratch:

batmanslc2

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2010, 07:18 pm »
thanks guys, i just went w blu tack and am very happy with it.  Took out the footers and now no worries about getting pushed off stands