2013 TAS Editor's Choice Awards: Subwoofers

medium jim

2013 TAS Editor's Choice Awards: Subwoofers
« on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:38 pm »
Here's a link to The Absolute Sound's Editor's Choice Awards for Subwoofers, for 2013:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-subwoofers/

As you can see, it covers a wide spectrum of prices, affordable to sublime.  Speak up if you agree or disagree with the choices. 

Jim

SoCalWJS

Re: 2013 TAS Editor's Choice Awards: Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2013, 06:57 pm »
Interesting that the JL Audio f113 is still at the top for it's price range - been around a while now. I still love mine, but you'd think there'd be something better in the last, what - 5+ years?

Wilson's Thor's Hammer - Big and impressive.

Wonder if they've ever tried a Thigpen Rotary for the really deep stuff?

medium jim

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:25 pm »
Interesting that the JL Audio f113 is still at the top for it's price range - been around a while now. I still love mine, but you'd think there'd be something better in the last, what - 5+ years?

Wilson's Thor's Hammer - Big and impressive.

Wonder if they've ever tried a Thigpen Rotary for the really deep stuff?

Rotary, makes me think about a Leslie Rotary Speaker for a home Sub....after all, they're made for organs, so you know they would go low.  Talk about WAF though :wink:

Jim

cheap-Jack

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2013, 07:58 pm »
Hi.
Here's a link to The Absolute Sound's Editor's Choice Awards for Subwoofers, for 2013:

As you can see, it covers a wide spectrum of prices, affordable to sublime.  Speak up if you agree or disagree with the choices. 

Jim

Maybe whoever get money to burn willing to spend $12,000 for a sub....

My question will be: would those rich & affordable know how to appreciate the bass difference among subs with such "sublime" to rediculous pricing.

My well known US brandname 10" 100W sub (rediculously priced for USD45) can shake up my basement audio den with clean & solid subsonic bass pedal notes of my pipe organ LP soundtracks. So I'd imagine that $12,000 sub would be powerful enough to level down my house to crumbles.

I just envy such subs vendors, fuelled by audiophile journals' appraisals, can convince their wealthy customers to dig so deep into their pockets.

c-J.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:10 pm »

My well known US brandname 10" 100W sub (rediculously priced for USD45) can shake up my basement audio den with clean & solid subsonic bass pedal notes of my pipe organ LP soundtracks.

c-J.

Which sub is that?

cheap-Jack

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2013, 08:43 pm »
Hi.
Which sub is that?

Send me a PM so I can tell you what make & model it is.

There is a lot to do with the proper interphasing between the amp line O/P (to feed signals to) & the line I/P of the sub (to receive signal from the amp).

First off, I don't want to drop a big bundle to acquire those subwoofer electronic X'vers which almost all sub users are using - no other cheaper & simpler choice in the marketplace. There is already a built-in
active bass filter inside every active sub. So don't we use it?????????? :scratch:

The mainstream music signals will be compromised by passing thru those complex active X-over circuitry. The last thing I want my music to go thru such electronic jargon.

I go for the purest way - only tap out a small signal from the mainstream music programme from the preamp line O/P to feed the sub, allowing the mainstream music signals go thro the sound system "untempered".

There is a technical issue here - for tube preamps (like mine) the O/P Z is higher than the low I/P Z of the
sub. I find there is a noticeable volume drop when the preamp hooked up to the sub.

So all I think I need is a simple active buffer to interphase them. I am now almost finishng design/built one
with 1MgR or over I/P Z (to receive signal from the tube preamp) & low low O/P Z to drive the line I/P of the sub. It only cost my a couple of bucks to buy 2 active devices plus all those used parts in my part bins. Battery operated to minimize the noise level.

I believe with direct & simple interphase between the preamp & the sub will make the bass clean & powerful. Do I need to sell my car  to buy an exotic priced sub? I don't think so.

Will report how it will sound with this new brainchild of mine.

c-J

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm »
Hi.
Send me a PM so I can tell you what make & model it is.
I believe with direct & simple interphase between the preamp & the sub will make the bass clean & powerful. Do I need to sell my car  to buy an exotic priced sub? I don't think so.
c-J

Why not tell all of us?   :scratch:

I have a DQ-LP1 xover that I love.  Current value maybe $300.  Would I sell my car to buy a high-end sub!  You betcha!  But a great sub won't carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood like my beat-up rusty '96 Buick Roadmaster wagon.  Which, BTW, has a pretty good OEM sound system.

'brick

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:43 am »
Brick, wasn't Buick using the Delco with Bose active speakers like GM used in the Corvette, which was a might fine system.

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:11 am »
Brick, wasn't Buick using the Delco with Bose active speakers like GM used in the Corvette, which was a might fine system.

Jim

They most likely were. One of the best car stereos I ever had was a Delco/Bose system in my '98 STS. Of course, it helped that the interior of that car was relatively quiet. I've since returned to a more entertaining vehicle to drive (and I may, right now, own the last car I ever buy :D), but that Caddy was a comfy break from the little cars. It was the best music enjoyment vehicle I ever owned - equate that with the room. :wink: By and large, a great room means more than a great system (this isn't to say that a great system isn't needed to get the most out of the room).

Anyway, all of the rambling is to agree - yeah, fine system.

BTW, that Roadmaster was a monster! It would make for an awesome truck. At the time I owned the STS, I was (ab)using it like a truck. Did the job quite well. The interior would swallow quite a few boxes, and the trunk was cavernous...but, the Roadmaster had a bigger appetite.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:40 am »

Jim

Nope!  No Bose logo will ever adorn anything I own!   :nono:

30 years ago I worked with a former Bose rep, whom I grew to despise on many levels for his BS.  You know the type "Well, back in '57 when I owned a '65 GTO.........".  Anyway, to him Bose was the only thing, and one day he dropped by with his wife and heard my DQ-10s.  They listened for awhile before she turned to him and asked "Honey, why do these speakers sound so much better than ours?"

It was like winning the lottery! :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:18 am »
Brick,  I agree with you regarding the Bose marketing bull caca, but they did make a nice sounding car speaker. Now back to our regular programming.

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:45 am »
My well known US brandname 10" 100W sub (rediculously priced for USD45) can shake...

If I give you my address and pay for your transportation, will you come to my listening room and impress me with that $45 'US brandname' (Is that a euphemism for Chinese?) subwoofer? By the way, why must it be a secret?

Rotary, makes me think about a Leslie Rotary Speaker for a home Sub....after all, they're made for organs, so you know they would go low.  Talk about WAF though :wink:

I'd definitely like to hear a couple of those Leslies in my room. "Holy Freakin' Crap", I think I'd utter (well, something like that). :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:47 am »
Brick,  I agree with you regarding the Bose marketing bull caca, but they did make a nice sounding car speaker. Now back to our regular programming.

Jim

True, but just because I admit the NY Yankees play great baseball (well, some years) doesn't mean I like them or would accept free tickets to see the overpriced bastards.    :flame: :peek:   :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:49 am »
If I give you my address and pay for your transportation, will you come to my listening room and impress me with that $45 'US brandname' (Is that a euphemism for Chinese?) subwoofer?

How can a 100 watt sub actually be a sub?     :scratch: :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:02 am »
How can a 100 watt sub actually be a sub?     :scratch: :lol:

Actually it makes perfect sense if the driver/speaker is say 92db+ as is the case for mine.  Quality A/B plate amp(s)

Jim

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:26 am »
I have the cheapest sub on that list : the REL T-5, which is used 90% for music.  Fast & integrates seamlessly well w/ Totem Arro's - and looks great to boot in glossy white.  Only slight negative to me is that because of the feet on hardwood floors, with super deep LF effects for home cinema it can actually move around a bit.  Not that big a deal.  I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a fast / tight / attractive sub at a decent price for small to mid size rooms. 

cheap-Jack

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:21 pm »
Hi.
If I give you my address and pay for your transportation, will you come to my listening room and impress me with that $45 'US brandname' (Is that a euphemism for Chinese?) subwoofer? By the way, why must it be a secret?

I already told the make/model & where to buy the same sub to that member who first asked me in my PM.

You don't seem to know the knowhow of making a cheapie sub sound supertb & deny me of my ear/hand on experience in subs, why bother to ask me?

If YOU did read my post carefully, I stressed so much on propery INTERPHASE with the preamp which can make a lousy sub sound excellent as I have done so. It is not so much how much money you want spend on a sub, the key issue is, again, to interphase yr stereo preamp PROPERLY to get the result.

May I ask you: how many & what subsonic bass recordings you got to test yr subs???

Price tag is not the only means to get a superb sounding sub. It is the proper interphase between the preamp & the sub & the music softeware to back it up.

Proper setting up of a sub, which I did not mention in my above post, is something not to be overlooked.

Now I can make a $45 sub shake my basement audio den, any costier counterparts are only icing on the cake - if one really knows the business.

c-J

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:38 pm »
Please, let's be civil or the thread goes bye, bye.

Jim

neekomax

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:29 pm »
Who's not being civil? Anyhoo...

Jack, actually you didn't respond to my pm with the name of the sub, and I still don't get why it's a secret.

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:44 pm »
Personally, I'd rather have several of the cheapest subs placed throughout the room, than one of these monster subs.