need suggestions on new TV

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: need suggestions on new TV
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2023, 06:41 pm »
  Is this a smart TV ?? Can it record and video you ? In the market for a new TV and hearing that they do. Is that true ? Thanks.

charles

Nick B

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2023, 07:35 pm »
Yes, it’s a smart TV. I believe most are nowadays. I am assuming that a good hacker might have the capability to invade my privacy via the internet, microphone or camera …. if there is one. Within reason, I do what I can to protect my privacy.

jmc207

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2023, 08:25 pm »
  Is this a smart TV ?? Can it record and video you ? In the market for a new TV and hearing that they do. Is that true ? Thanks.

I don't connect my TV to the Internet using it's built-in software. I use a Roku stick plugged into one of the HDMI ports to bring in whatever Internet streaming service I wish to use. I think that should avoid at least the video issue if that's still the case. The various Roku, Amazon, and other connection devices generally have voice recognition on the remote as a way to change channels, etc. I think you have to push a button on the remote while speaking for that to work.

Nick B

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2023, 01:46 am »
If you have an Apple TV and an iPhone can do some fun tricks for calibration the picture.
https://www.macworld.com/article/344476/iphone-apple-tv-color-balance-calibration-how-to.html

Great tip, thanks. The process was automatic after going into Settings on the Apple TV box. The Samsung screen and iPhone gave prompts on how to proceed. The picture showed a nice improvement and I did the Wireless Audio Sync as well.

Nick B

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2023, 01:53 am »
Hi Larry,

Picked up the Samsung today and just got it set up with the help of Samsung. I haven’t tried to tweak or optimize it…wouldn’t know how to do that. I like the picture and the much smaller remote than my previous 2015 Samsung. I am already controlling the TV via the Apple TV box. Did not need to set up the Apple TV box again. It just automatically mated with the new Samsung.

If you have any suggestions about optimizing any functions, pls let me know.

Nick

Larry,

I played with the settings and everything looks good. Then I tried the suggestion of TF1216 regarding using the iPhone capability to calibrate . Am really happy with the Samsung and what a great deal as well.

Nick

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2023, 05:26 am »
Awesome to hear! Was it easy to use the iPhone for calibration duties?

Nick B

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2023, 06:03 am »
Awesome to hear! Was it easy to use the iPhone for calibration duties?

Yes, very simple. I don’t have it open right now, but I believe I went to Settings on the Apple TV box and then to Video and a prompt appeared on the TV screen, if I want to use my iPhone to calibrate the color. Once that was accomplished, another prompt appeared regarding the Wireless Audio Sync.

newzooreview

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2023, 03:27 pm »
It may have been covered earlier, but the iPhone is calibrating just the color on its HDMI output to the TV, so other devices using other HDMI inputs will not benefit from the iPhone/Apple TV calibration.

There are also settings that the Apple TV calibration can't affect. A few test patterns on a USB stick would allow you to adjust the white level, black level, backlighting, color space, and other settings to achieve a basic calibration of the panel. The Apple TV provides fine-tuning color adjustments for the video that it sends to the TV.

I'm sure it looks great, however, so additional tweaking could be superfluous.

Nick B

« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2023, 06:02 pm »
It may have been covered earlier, but the iPhone is calibrating just the color on its HDMI output to the TV, so other devices using other HDMI inputs will not benefit from the iPhone/Apple TV calibration.

There are also settings that the Apple TV calibration can't affect. A few test patterns on a USB stick would allow you to adjust the white level, black level, backlighting, color space, and other settings to achieve a basic calibration of the panel. The Apple TV provides fine-tuning color adjustments for the video that it sends to the TV.

I'm sure it looks great, however, so additional tweaking could be superfluous.

Yes, I think color only is all it did. But what a nice job! I had fiddled with the video settings before via a link that Larry provided. But the iPhone calibration did a better job. I’m only using the TV. No external speakers, sound bar etc. I looked at the adjustments for white, black, etc. It’s all new to me and I didn’t want to dig into that deeply as I’m auditioning an amp and a silver digital cable. I’m really happy with the picture as is for now. The software is also much nicer on this Samsung than my 2015 Samsung 640D.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2023, 01:32 am by Nick B »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2023, 10:06 am »
After several late model expensive TV failures ( just out of warranty ) I've decided to go cheap from now on. I can buy several cheap Chinese TV's for the price of a single Sony or Samsung. TV's are now throw away items as the price of repair often exceeds the price of a replacement. Twice over the last few years I've taken TV's to a repair shop only to pay $100 for a diagnosis in which the technician explained that the repair would cost more than a new TV.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2023, 11:34 am »
After several late model expensive TV failures ( just out of warranty ) I've decided to go cheap from now on. I can buy several cheap Chinese TV's for the price of a single Sony or Samsung. TV's are now throw away items as the price of repair often exceeds the price of a replacement. Twice over the last few years I've taken TV's to a repair shop only to pay $100 for a diagnosis in which the technician explained that the repair would cost more than a new TV.

I agree. While I have Samsung in my den all bedrooms have the Insignia brand from Best Buy. Decent picture and you cant beat the price

Nick B

« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2023, 04:07 pm »
Can't disagree about buying inexpensive TVs. Fortunately, i've had very good luck with TV reliability over the years. The Samsung that I bought in March continues to perform beautifully.

oskar

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2023, 04:45 pm »
I have a different problem. My 42" 17 yo Panasonic plasma won't die.
The picture is as good today as it was when I bought it.
It's not smart but pretty darn reliable.
I'm itching for a 55" set with all the new bells and whistles.

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 20 Aug 2023, 04:48 pm »
NY Times Wirecutter has an updated list (although some picks are from 2022), unfortunately it costs money to read. Picture quality can actually be measured (unlike audio) so their recommendations are only a starting point. Lots more info in the reviews and comments section regarding brightness, motion blur, etc.

The Best TVs
Updated July 21, 2023
We’ve spent hundreds of hours researching and testing TVs to find the best choices for any budget and room size. See all our top picks here.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-tv/

The Wirecutter recommendations in a nutshell:

Hisense U8H
sports all of the advanced TV technologies we like to see—quantum dots for richer color saturation, a mini-LED backlight with local dimming for better black levels and overall contrast, and a 120 Hz refresh rate for improved motion. Hisense’s video processing isn’t up to the standards of Sony or Samsung, so the more eagle-eyed videophile might notice banding and upscaling artifacts in some video and gaming content.

TCL 5-Series (S555)
delivers a great-looking 4K HDR picture with better brightness capabilities than the competition, and it comes in 50-, 55-, 65-, and 75-inch sizes to fit most rooms. It’s the company’s lowest-priced TV line to incorporate advanced LCD technologies such as a full-array local-dimming LED backlight for improved image contrast and quantum dots for richer color, and it supports Dolby Vision HDR and the latest advanced gaming features. The 5-Series’s panel has only a 60 Hz refresh rate, so motion isn’t as fluid as it can be on a 120 Hz panel, which offers faster pixel refresh and reduced motion blur.

Samsung S95B employs QD-OLED, a new technology in 2022 that combines the best qualities of OLED TVs—perfect black levels, wide viewing angles, and a super-sleek design—with the color-enhancing power of quantum dots. No support for the Dolby Vision HDR format.

The Best 4K TV on a Budget
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-4k-tv/

TCL 5-Series Roku TV (S555) continues the tradition of the company’s previous 5-Series models, delivering advanced TV tech that ensures a great picture for a reasonable price. It’s brighter than similarly priced models, though not as bright as a premium LCD TV. This TV supports the latest AV formats, including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision for high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos for spatial audio, and it offers a snappy and intuitive smart-TV experience via the built-in Roku platform. This TV is limited to a 60 Hz refresh rate (rather than the 120 Hz found on pricier TVs).

Hisense’s U6H Series Google TV checks the right boxes: This series offers the same advanced tech as our top pick and produces a good-looking picture overall. But in our comparative testing, the U6H fell short of our top pick in overall brightness and its ability to show fine shadow details in darker movie scenes. That said, you might prefer this TV to the TCL 5-Series if you’re gaga for Google—and especially if you’d prefer to have Filmmaker Mode, a picture mode tuned for maximum accuracy (and one that the 5-Series lacks). If, however, you want a TV that looks good across a variety of lighting conditions, keep in mind that the Hisense U6H lacks the backlight power to perform its best in a bright room.

What do I watch? A 60" Panasonic Plasma. If you have ever watched a movie on one you know why.

Nick B

« Reply #34 on: 20 Aug 2023, 07:47 pm »
NY Times Wirecutter has an updated list (although some picks are from 2022), unfortunately it costs money to read. Picture quality can actually be measured (unlike audio) so their recommendations are only a starting point. Lots more info in the reviews and comments section regarding brightness, motion blur, etc.

The Best TVs
Updated July 21, 2023
We’ve spent hundreds of hours researching and testing TVs to find the best choices for any budget and room size. See all our top picks here.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-tv/

The Wirecutter recommendations in a nutshell:

Hisense U8H
sports all of the advanced TV technologies we like to see—quantum dots for richer color saturation, a mini-LED backlight with local dimming for better black levels and overall contrast, and a 120 Hz refresh rate for improved motion. Hisense’s video processing isn’t up to the standards of Sony or Samsung, so the more eagle-eyed videophile might notice banding and upscaling artifacts in some video and gaming content.

TCL 5-Series (S555)
delivers a great-looking 4K HDR picture with better brightness capabilities than the competition, and it comes in 50-, 55-, 65-, and 75-inch sizes to fit most rooms. It’s the company’s lowest-priced TV line to incorporate advanced LCD technologies such as a full-array local-dimming LED backlight for improved image contrast and quantum dots for richer color, and it supports Dolby Vision HDR and the latest advanced gaming features. The 5-Series’s panel has only a 60 Hz refresh rate, so motion isn’t as fluid as it can be on a 120 Hz panel, which offers faster pixel refresh and reduced motion blur.

Samsung S95B employs QD-OLED, a new technology in 2022 that combines the best qualities of OLED TVs—perfect black levels, wide viewing angles, and a super-sleek design—with the color-enhancing power of quantum dots. No support for the Dolby Vision HDR format.

The Best 4K TV on a Budget
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-4k-tv/

TCL 5-Series Roku TV (S555) continues the tradition of the company’s previous 5-Series models, delivering advanced TV tech that ensures a great picture for a reasonable price. It’s brighter than similarly priced models, though not as bright as a premium LCD TV. This TV supports the latest AV formats, including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision for high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos for spatial audio, and it offers a snappy and intuitive smart-TV experience via the built-in Roku platform. This TV is limited to a 60 Hz refresh rate (rather than the 120 Hz found on pricier TVs).

Hisense’s U6H Series Google TV checks the right boxes: This series offers the same advanced tech as our top pick and produces a good-looking picture overall. But in our comparative testing, the U6H fell short of our top pick in overall brightness and its ability to show fine shadow details in darker movie scenes. That said, you might prefer this TV to the TCL 5-Series if you’re gaga for Google—and especially if you’d prefer to have Filmmaker Mode, a picture mode tuned for maximum accuracy (and one that the 5-Series lacks). If, however, you want a TV that looks good across a variety of lighting conditions, keep in mind that the Hisense U6H lacks the backlight power to perform its best in a bright room.

What do I watch? A 60" Panasonic Plasma. If you have ever watched a movie on one you know why.

So plasma continues to be the gold standard for video quality? I had a friend buy a plasma TV years ago for $9,000 and that was a discounted price. It was probably a Fujitsu.

WGH

« Reply #35 on: 20 Aug 2023, 09:15 pm »
So plasma continues to be the gold standard for video quality?

I think so but the TV has fewer features that some cannot live without. I paid less than $1000 11 years ago.
  • The resolution is only 1080p. The Panasonic accepts 2160p and down samples internally. The 2160p picture can still look better than 1080p for technical reasons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnpzPVvQAE
  • No HDR or Dolby Vision but it doesn't need those features because blacks are really true blacks. Plasma TVs powers each sub-pixel individually, so you get a realistic image with a large contrast. If part of the screen has to be dark, the television won't power those sub-pixels anymore. Black is really black. A plasma television displays movements fluently, so the image looks natural.
  • Not a Smart TV. I use a high powered computer with all the apps needed for film, streaming, YouTube, PBS streaming, etc. The computer is hardwired via HDMI to an Anthem AVM60 processor for 7.1.4 surround sound.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #36 on: 20 Aug 2023, 09:27 pm »
Yes, it’s a smart TV. I believe most are nowadays. I am assuming that a good hacker might have the capability to invade my privacy via the internet, microphone or camera …. if there is one. Within reason, I do what I can to protect my privacy.
Uh a smart guy congratulations, surprised to see this superior attitude on a US citizen. Now they whatch the average joe on the phone, car GPS, TV, desktop PC and streets cameras. As far as Im concerned I dont watch TV more than 20 years and can say my concentration and reasoning increased, I definitely dont want put movie images in my mind, dont want to be brainwashed by films and news pgms that are more than biased IMO. Among the most foolish things I could do are buy a car and watch TV.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #37 on: 20 Aug 2023, 11:12 pm »
I think so but the TV has fewer features that some cannot live without. I paid less than $1000 11 years ago.
  • The resolution is only 1080p. The Panasonic accepts 2160p and down samples internally. The 2160p picture can still look better than 1080p for technical reasons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnpzPVvQAE
  • No HDR or Dolby Vision but it doesn't need those features because blacks are really true blacks. Plasma TVs powers each sub-pixel individually, so you get a realistic image with a large contrast. If part of the screen has to be dark, the television won't power those sub-pixels anymore. Black is really black. A plasma television displays movements fluently, so the image looks natural.
  • Not a Smart TV. I use a high powered computer with all the apps needed for film, streaming, YouTube, PBS streaming, etc. The computer is hardwired via HDMI to an Anthem AVM60 processor for 7.1.4 surround sound.

The newer OLED tv’s finally surpass the best plasma tv’s.

Plus the higher resolutions and HDR really make a very big difference.

My Panny plasma is collecting dust…

George

Saturn94

« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2023, 03:50 am »

I still love my Pioneer Kuro plasma (purchased 2008).  Every time I watch a movie it leaves me with no desire to “upgrade” it.  :thumb: