Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps

Early B.

Re: Sapphire M3's - Gallium Nitride Amps
« Reply #500 on: 16 Dec 2022, 04:59 am »
Even without full burn in I can say that the imaging, soundstage and sheer levels of resolution are impressive.

Yeah, the resolution is as good as it gets (...or maybe as good as anyone could hope for?). That's the magic of Class D.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #501 on: 16 Dec 2022, 05:22 am »
Still burning in.  The new parts are going to add another 70 hours or so if further burn in. 

Even without full burn in I can say that the imaging, soundstage and sheer levels of resolution are impressive.

What preamp are you using?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #502 on: 16 Dec 2022, 05:45 am »
What preamp are you using?

Using the preamp output from my iFi iDSD Pro DAC at the moment.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #503 on: 16 Dec 2022, 03:11 pm »
Mine came in yesterday. I'm busy at work but I got up early today. I've almost got it ready to go to start breaking in.

I've got a Schiit Freya + and a couple of tubes from Brent Jessee for the gain stage along with socket savers and I'll hook it up to my Rotel CD player on loop.
I have some KEF LS50 Meta speakers to do the honors. I've hooked the MiniGaN to the Freya + via XLR interconnects.

Btw, I found a good deal on a pair of slightly used Nola Boxer S3 speakers which replaced the KEFs in my small living room unit. Very nice speakers.

So it begins . . .

Initially, sounded good right out of the gate and I'm not hearing any spittakes or anything Tyson is referring to. I'm a bit sensitive to that and I'm using a cd I used to sample speakers with some shimmering guitars to bring that out if its there and the KEF LS50s are described sometimes as irritating in the upper range. I don't have my X5s hooked up so I can't compare but I'm pleased so far. Although I'm in the midst of some construction and don't have the time to really listen so grain of salt time.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2022, 08:35 pm by Daryl Zero »

mick wolfe

« Reply #504 on: 16 Dec 2022, 06:03 pm »
Yep, similar but not the same. Revisited full XLR cabling ( I won't say "balanced" because I'm not sure on all 3 components in the chain) yesterday from Denafrips Ares/ Freya+ and on to the Mini GaN 3. Let's just say I'm now really hearing the Mini GaN 3 at its full potential. Of course time will tell as the increase in gain from both the XLR outputs of the Ares and Freya+ gives an immediate impression of greater resolution and dynamics. More listening today, but I think it might be safe to say the Mini GaN 3 likes being fed from XLR to XLR. Did not seem to have the same success when using a single ended IC into the MiniGaN's XLR's using an adapter. Or simply using a single ended IC. Of course and once again, the significant difference in gain gives one an immediate impression of being "better". So more sorting out is in order. Speakers are lightly modded (Clarity cap upgrade) Zu Omen DW's.

catluck

« Reply #505 on: 17 Dec 2022, 01:37 pm »
Like Mick W and Daryl Z, I'm using a Freya+ and running XLR with MiniGan mono 5's.  Even if I was unable to qualitatively describe the improvements I'm hearing, I know that something has happened in terms of musical quality, compared to my previous system configuration, because I find myself listening longer than I ever have. Morning listening sessions regularly extend for 20-25 minutes longer than I ever listened before I placed the MiniGans into service. Additionally, I end sessions listening at higher volumes because the presentation is so clean and impressive. For me that's really the tell that something has changed for the better. This, about 3 months into the MiniGans.

One other thing: For those who suffer with bothersome (and aren't they always) sibilants or spitichiness, it seems the footers one uses for the MiniGans can impact tonal quality.  Although I was never obsessive about footers under various gear, I have tried various footers with the MiniGans and found vibrapods to be the most pleasing, i.e., preserving detail and clarity but also diminishing (it seems) sibilants, spitchiness and, as important, an occasional hard or glaring leading edge seemingly limited to human voice.  Although I think burning in the units was, by far, the most critical to reducing glare and edge, it all adds  up.

mick wolfe

« Reply #506 on: 17 Dec 2022, 04:55 pm »
Just to add to your footer statement. I put 3 IsoAcoustics Indigo's under the MiniGaN 3. Way overkill considering the weight of the MiniGaN, but I've got eight IsoA Mini Pucks on the way. I needed more for another app anyway. And yes, they ( IsoA's) seem to have somewhat of a taming effect.

genjamon

« Reply #507 on: 17 Dec 2022, 05:06 pm »
Yeah, I’m using Iso Pucks too, so footers aren’t the issue. I just got around to swapping out the stock Sovtek 6sn7 in my new preamp with a Psvane gray bottle with plenty of hours on it. After about a half hour, it’s clear most of that sibilance was coming from the Sovtek. It’ll take a few days before that new tube settles into the system.

I also have some XLR cables on the way to try the XLR outputs on this new preamp into the XLR inputs on the MiniGan. I’ve only ever been singled ended, and my DACs are still singled ended, so am just starting with some cheap Monoprice cables to see what kind of changes I hear. If the dynamics and openness are to my liking I’ll then look into a higher end set for better refinement of the sound. I.e., if I hear some thinness, brittleness, or sibilance come back, I’ll assume it’s the cheap Monoprices.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #508 on: 17 Dec 2022, 07:20 pm »
I need to add a caveat to my previous initial thoughts.

I am listening to the set up in my garage/office, same place where my X5s sound great. It may be the room which accounts for some or all of my observations on the KEF LS50 Meta sound. I have to do more switching around when construction levels out to see how the X5s sound so I can compare more apples to apples.

2bigears

« Reply #509 on: 18 Dec 2022, 04:00 am »
 :D close to 100 hours on my little amp. This thing is not a dissapointment in the least. I think for the $$ , this amp will surprise most. Hard to wrap your head around this.  Need a few more hundred hours to finish the break in.  More good listening to come. Smiling.  :D

BrandonB

« Reply #510 on: 18 Dec 2022, 07:20 pm »
Hello all.  I just found this thread yesterday and was intrigued.  I am just starting my journey in building my system so I am starting fresh.  I emailed Class D audio to see if they can do the modifications that Tyson spoke of.  So we will find out if they will do the upgrade.  I don't have any experience with working with electronics so I would be nervous doing it myself. I am looking at getting a Schiit Freya+ for a preamp and some GR Research speakers.  Does anyone have any opinions on a preamps?  I am also not sure what speakers I am getting from GR Research.  Oh yeah! I forgot I still need a DAC.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #511 on: 18 Dec 2022, 08:52 pm »
Hello all.  I just found this thread yesterday and was intrigued.  I am just starting my journey in building my system so I am starting fresh.  I emailed Class D audio to see if they can do the modifications that Tyson spoke of.  So we will find out if they will do the upgrade.  I don't have any experience with working with electronics so I would be nervous doing it myself. I am looking at getting a Schiit Freya+ for a preamp and some GR Research speakers.  Does anyone have any opinions on a preamps?  I am also not sure what speakers I am getting from GR Research.  Oh yeah! I forgot I still need a DAC.

Probably we would need to know more about what speakers you plan to get, your budget and information about the room you are putting things in. I got the Freya + because I didn't have a preamp and I was taking a chance on the MiniGaN 5 which I thought I might return. (Not thinking that now). There are several Don Sach's preamps used available that I am keeping my eye on but I don't know if they would change the sound that much or not but it is basically paying a bit over twice the Freya + if you get the tube upgrade. I'm sure many posters here would have an idea of the preamp but the type and efficiency of the speaker is something that comes into play and has to be factored in.

jseymour

« Reply #512 on: 18 Dec 2022, 09:19 pm »
I replaced my Freya OG with a Don Sachs preamp two months ago.  It was a significant upgrade in every way.  Better bass, tone/timbre, detail retrieval, etc.  The only downside is the loss of XLR outputs, if that matters.

BrandonB

« Reply #513 on: 18 Dec 2022, 10:21 pm »
Just got an email back from Class D Audio.  They said they will install whatever parts you send to them and still keep the warranty.  You have to purchase the amp first and you cannot return it.  Which makes sense to me.  Now I just have to decide on the stereo amp or the monos. 

morganc

« Reply #514 on: 18 Dec 2022, 10:21 pm »
I replaced my Freya OG with a Don Sachs preamp two months ago.  It was a significant upgrade in every way.  Better bass, tone/timbre, detail retrieval, etc.  The only downside is the loss of XLR outputs, if that matters.

Yes if you want to get end game level quality of a pre, then go for a Don Sachs.  It pairs exceedingly well with Spatial speakers whether using the Gan Amp here or a tube amp.  Some of his units do have XLR though. 

BrandonB

« Reply #515 on: 18 Dec 2022, 10:31 pm »
Well, I couldn't stand the hash and spitiness I was hearing with the stock MiniGan 5.  Looking under the hood it's clear they used mediocre quality parts for the binding posts, RCA connectors and internal wiring.  So, time for surgery! 

Spent the afternoon with a drill bit, a soldering iron and some top quality parts.  Here's the progression of the work:

Was the result worth the effort?  Hell yeah.  Tonal beauty is no longer a glaring weakness.  It will never be a tube amp, but at least there's no hash or spitiness getting in the way of the amps other, considerable strengths. 

Here's a list of parts I used.  Mostly I picked things that I know have a softer/warmer sound, to try to get the amp to be better balanced:

ETI Copper RCA connectors
ETI Copper binding posts
VH Audio OCC hookup wire (for the speaker wiring)
Nemak pure silver hand polished hookup wire (for the input/RCA wiring)

A few things to note (if you want to try this yourself).  First, the ETI copper binding posts are too thick for the existing holes in the case, so you'll need to enlarge the holes with a case bit.  Second, the ETI Copper binding posts are too long to fit without using some silicone spacers (I picked up some at the hardware store).  Finally, to get to all the solder points you need to remove the main circuit board.  There's 4 screws on the corners of the board.  And the RCA connectors and the XLR connectors have to be unscrewed from the back of the case, because the board is attached to those connectors.

Tyson I emailed Class D audio and they said I could send them parts to upgrade.  They will still honor the warranty.  Are these the changes you would make if purchasing brand new?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #516 on: 18 Dec 2022, 10:37 pm »
Just got an email back from Class D Audio.  They said they will install whatever parts you send to them and still keep the warranty.  You have to purchase the amp first and you cannot return it.  Which makes sense to me.  Now I just have to decide on the stereo amp or the monos.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing!

genjamon

« Reply #517 on: 18 Dec 2022, 11:29 pm »
I’m sure it’s tough to beat the Freya + at that price point. And as the owner of a Don Sachs for four-five years now, it’s the real-deal. That said, I’d give the Black Ice Audio F360 a serious look. At $2500 it’s a little cheaper than the Don Sachs, but is immediately available and you get a 45 day trial period.  Black Ice Audio also offers lots of options for upgrades down the line, and will work with you to do whatever you want to upgrade internals. It only uses a single 6sn7, so is much more economical for tube rolling than the Freya or the Don Sachs. Lots of options for customizing/optimizing the sound for your speakers and room too. I’m growing more and more impressed with it as I work my way through the break-in process. Synergy with the MiniGan is excellent, IMO.

2bigears

« Reply #518 on: 18 Dec 2022, 11:47 pm »
 :D one amp is all you need. I sure would love to mod the speaker terminals myself. They are a weee bit cheesie.  With 100 hours plus on mine it's a couple hundred hours out from singing like it should.  Good value here indeed.  I use a VAC pre and it's pretty dam nice even so far.  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #519 on: 19 Dec 2022, 12:24 am »
Tyson I emailed Class D audio and they said I could send them parts to upgrade.  They will still honor the warranty.  Are these the changes you would make if purchasing brand new?

Yes.  The only change I would make is I'd use VH Audio OCC wire for the RCA connectors instead of the Nemak silver wire.  Otherwise, everything else the same.