ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Marco Prozzo

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1380 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm »
On another subject. I located two "No" responses to using the Sophia 274B in the MWTP circuit, citing that it requires seeing a first resistor value of 10uf or smaller.  I've been using one in my Woo Audio WA6SE headphone amp and I'm pretty sure the first resistor value in that is 22uf.  No problems there and it is a very popular rectifier for that application.  Has anyone actually tried one out?  Certainly I don't want to risk the tube or circuit, but happen to have one for the Woo and thought to try it as it's supposed to be a drop-in for 5U4G.  I've got a query in to Dan, but just wondered if anyone had any input or had actually tried one?

AB

« Reply #1381 on: 28 Jan 2010, 09:00 pm »
Received the Treasures. They're plugged in and warming up.
When I removed the TSRPs I noticed one cracked its base. Bummer.
I'll report back soon.

Edit:
2.5 albums later...

Fantastic tubes.
Great detail everywhere. Results in a deep 3D sound stage.
Highs are clean and very extended - cymbals have excellent shimmer.
More dynamic/punchy than I expected.
Super imaging. A result of better matching?
Less bloom/halo effect in the midbass than the TSRP (at least the pairs I have tried).
More forward than the TSRP. Maybe a bit more gain too.

Diana Krall sounds ten years younger on "The Girl In The Next Room". Weird, I know. Maybe a result of less midbass bloom.

As far as break in is concerned, they sounded fantastic right from the start. Any changes over the past two hours have been very subtle.

Better than the TSRP? So far I would say yes.
Even better after 300 hours of break in? Damn.
I have learned you don't know better until you've heard it so I guess we'll see. Or hear, more precisely.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm by AB »

tomm

« Reply #1382 on: 29 Jan 2010, 02:53 am »
AB,
What rectifier are you using with the Black Treasure.  Thanks.

AB

« Reply #1383 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:10 am »
AB,
What rectifier are you using with the Black Treasure.  Thanks.

The EML 5U4G. Of course. :green:

More Treasure break in...
After about 7 hours of playing the sound sort of went...kablooey.
The center image became rounder and smeared. The lovely dynamics - percussion and leading edges - became less lovely. And, overall, a light veil obscured what was just a few hours earlier, a very crystal clear sound stage.
I hope that sorts out soonest.

valvesaglowin

• Industry Participant
  • Quality is no accident
    • TubesUSA
« Reply #1384 on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:10 pm »
Finally! There's a new shipment of EML 5U4G Meshplates on their way to the USA tomorrow. The ETA is about two weeks for transit. I will notify all whom have requested these tubes when the arrive!

Best,

George

Audioclyde

« Reply #1385 on: 29 Jan 2010, 07:47 pm »
Awesome George.  Thanks, can't wait to get the EML back in play.

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1386 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:12 pm »
Quick question for those who recently received their Black Treasure tubes...did the tubes come via the Post Office or were they delivered by the freight company?

According to the tracking info, the tubes are now local and I am wondering if delivery is tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks,

George 

schw06

« Reply #1387 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:32 pm »
George,
   Mine showed up today from UPS. Hope that helps.
David

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1388 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:40 pm »
George,
   Mine showed up today from UPS. Hope that helps.
David

Was UPS the carrier the entire time?

Mine was sent via Purolator (who I have never used before).

George

schw06

« Reply #1389 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:48 pm »
George,
   Mine was sent via Purolator as well.
David

NickS

« Reply #1390 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:07 am »
Was UPS the carrier the entire time?

Mine was sent via Purolator (who I have never used before).

George

My tubes arrived from Grant Fidelity today.  While they were dispatched from Purolator from GF in Canada, they were delivered by UPS to me in Atlanta after roosting a good bit on delivery trucks en route.

First impressions are consistent with those in whose path I follow... serious linearity with a punchy drive; clearly a high quality tube that materially sets itself apart from the pack.

Bound to become a favorite from among this discerning audience...

tdangelo

« Reply #1391 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:19 am »
got mine around 3:30 today - they sound pretty good so far.  They started off with Purolator but UPS delivered.

AB

« Reply #1392 on: 30 Jan 2010, 04:52 am »
Treasure burn in report #3.

Added another 7 hours on the tubes today. Imaging came back but now everything is VERY clinical sounding, dry and sibilant. The leading edge dynamics are back but are emphasized too much and stand out from the music. Still tons of detail but at this point that's not a good thing. Bottom line, right now they sound like solid state - no tubeyness at all.

Maybe 300 hours isn't crazy?  :duh:

modwright

« Reply #1393 on: 31 Jan 2010, 04:40 am »
I just wanted to add my support RE the 'Black Treasures'.  I had the opportunity to listen to Philistines, as I took measurements and verified that all was within our design specs, a while ago.

They are truly as beautiful sounding as they look!  Don't know what they are doing to make these tubes sound the way they do, but they are truly excellent and quite honestly not what I have come to expect from Chinese tube makers.

Perhaps Shuguang is a tube mfr. to watch!

Thanks,

Dan W.

vlasis

« Reply #1394 on: 31 Jan 2010, 02:18 pm »
Hallo people...hallo there...i am Vlasis from Greece and a happy(VERY  VERY HAPPY) owner of the great 36.5 preamp(hallo Dan) !!!!
 I am using 2 super tube 6H30 DR (1986 nos) and i want to learn from you what valve do you suggest me for the rectifier(5ar4 ruby inside).....i want the best for my 36.5!!!!
 Can you help me my friends?i dont care about the money!!
  My other system is cd player AMR CD 77 valve,speakers B&W Nautilus 802,amp  Perraux 2x350 watt,audiomagic rack,Acoustic revive spekers cables,interconect-Audioquest Niagara xlr-Mundorf copper-Nirvana sx limited edition,power cables jena labs,Audience.

Philistine

« Reply #1395 on: 31 Jan 2010, 03:15 pm »
Hi Vlasis and welcome to the MW community.

I'm using the Emission Labs 5U4G in the 36.5 and the Modwright Transporter, the EML 5U4G is paired with the 6H30DR's in the 36.5 and is a great combination.  You will have to have a hole in the top of the 36.5 to accommodate it, or run it with the top off after taking all the necessary safety precaution:

http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/order/ordering-info.htm

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML5U4G.htm

vlasis

« Reply #1396 on: 31 Jan 2010, 03:56 pm »
Hallo and many thanks dear Philistine for your fast answear.......
 I think its beter to open a hole for this valve but i really dont know the right position  (i think i must count for the right dinstance)
 A Dan do you know????????????hehehehe

Philistine ok if i open the hole do you know what else i need?If i put the valve is it ok?

Thanks again and greedings from sunny Greece!!!!

iGrant

« Reply #1397 on: 31 Jan 2010, 05:16 pm »
I just wanted to add my support RE the 'Black Treasures'.  I had the opportunity to listen to Philistines, as I took measurements and verified that all was within our design specs, a while ago.

They are truly as beautiful sounding as they look!  Don't know what they are doing to make these tubes sound the way they do, but they are truly excellent and quite honestly not what I have come to expect from Chinese tube makers.

Perhaps Shuguang is a tube mfr. to watch!

Thanks,

Dan W.

Hi Dan,

The 30 or so million audiophiles in China are basically all into tubes and have been DIYing for ever, now these audiophiles have money to spend and the 2 companies Shuguang and TJ FullMusic are competing for this huge market who are starting to or can afford the best tubes available. It will be fun to watch what happens over there as this competition moves forward. The two designers who are competing are both 75 years old, were both trained in Russia in the same class and both look like they have another 25 years in them.

Thanks for taking the time to test and check out our tubes.

Cheers,
Ian

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1398 on: 31 Jan 2010, 08:16 pm »
Thanks, Ian.  That is very helpful input. 

On burn-in; I'm not sure whether Dan's circuit is running in Class A or not.  I'll check with him on that and post the thread unless someone can chime in with an answer.  If it is not, wouldn't the fact that it's connected to a preamp be all that's needed, whether on or off (won't it see the impedance of the pre regardless)?  My goal would be to accelerate the process and leave it running at night, and prefer not to put the wear on my preamp tubes if I don't have to.

I wanted to follow up on my earlier question regarding burn-in of tubes in the MWTP: I heard back from Dan who confirmed that the output stage does operate in Class A.  So, based on Ian's input, that would imply that one need only have the tube-output circuit turned on, with no music streaming necessary, in order to burn-in the output tubes.

Philistine

« Reply #1399 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:40 am »
Hallo and many thanks dear Philistine for your fast answear.......
 I think its beter to open a hole for this valve but i really dont know the right position  (i think i must count for the right dinstance)
 A Dan do you know????????????hehehehe

Philistine ok if i open the hole do you know what else i need?If i put the valve is it ok?

Thanks again and greedings from sunny Greece!!!!

Hi vlasis,

I'll post a few photographs for you so you can see the tube through the hole and also add the dimensions.  I'll do this tomorrow from a different computer as the one I'm currently using does not have my photographs loaded on it.
As a Brit, now living in the US, I know and have visited your beautiful country many times and eaten your great food!  Which part of Greece are you from?