how do you move a file over to itunes

sugbob21

how do you move a file over to itunes
« on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
I have downloaded an album from HDtracks.com in hi-res. there is an icon that appearson my main screen when i boot up my mini mac which says myhdtracks.
i can open it but cant play the album. i was told it has to be played thru itunes but have no idea how to move it over. can someone explain?
tks

Crimson

Re: how do you move a file over to itunes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:11 am »
This can be done one of two ways:

1. In iTunes, click on File then 'Add to Library' and point to the folder (the myhdtracks icon) on your desktop,

OR

2. Open iTunes and then drag the folder over to your iTunes library.

Just remember that iTunes does not automatically change sample rate. If you're switching between 16/44.1 and 24/96 (or higher) sample rates, you need to close iTunes, open AudioMidi Setup (Applications >> Utilities), adjust the sample rate, and then restart iTunes. You'll need to do this whenever switching between sample rates.

K Shep

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2010, 01:30 pm »
Also, iTunes won't play FLAC.  You need to specify AIFF or WAV as your file format.  I am just begining to look into HD Tracks and that jumped out at me as an issue.  There are work arounds but it appears most of the files on HD Tracks are FLAC which is an issue for MAC users.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:20 am »
Actually, iTunes can play FLAC and OGG files if you add the components described in this article.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:08 am »
Just remember that iTunes does not automatically change sample rate. If you're switching between 16/44.1 and 24/96 (or higher) sample rates, you need to close iTunes, open AudioMidi Setup (Applications >> Utilities), adjust the sample rate, and then restart iTunes. You'll need to do this whenever switching between sample rates.

Interesting. I have my audio set at 2ch. 24/96, and do not have to make the adjustment you describe to step down to RedBook (as I type this, I am listening to a show that is a VBR MP3).

As a Mac user, I use a freeware conversion application called Max. I run all my FLAC files through Max, and archive the FLACs. If I want to be real purist about it, I use another freeware application, VLC, for FLAC playback.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2010, 10:22 am »
Interesting. I have my audio set at 2ch. 24/96, and do not have to make the adjustment you describe to step down to RedBook (as I type this, I am listening to a show that is a VBR MP3).

You're quite correct. You do not have to change sample rates, as you describe, as iTunes will up/down-sample all files accordingly to meet the settings in AudioMidiSetup. If one does not want any sample rate conversion performed by iTunes (such as myself), then the method I described needs to be carried out.

les anderson

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2010, 11:33 pm »
iTunes does a very good job at sample rate conversions. Audio midi does a horrible job.

For those who want a set and forget setup just keep audio midi at 24/96 and let itunes do the thinking.

switching back and forth negates the convenience of pc audio and most agree that the advantage to doing so is only
theoretical as opposed to audible.