My first mac – maybe.

boead

My first mac – maybe.
« on: 29 Jan 2009, 04:57 pm »
I’ve never owned a laptop, hard to believe if you know me. But quite frankly I never really had a need for one and they were always too slow and I enjoy building things and well, you can’t really build your own laptop.

So I have an opportunity to get an Apple computer of my choice. Call it a gift of sorts, its part of a larger package of gifts which include instruments/gear for my kids, new LCD for my bedroom and a nice AV Receiver and Blu-ray player for my HT.

After looking at both the Macbook and Macbook Pro I clearly see why you have to get the pro. The Mackbook is a prime example of what I always hated in a laptop and quite frankly are too similar to the sub $600 HP’s and Dells being offered everywhere in this stagnant economy we are living in right now making the Macbook grossly overpriced.
However the Macbook Pro appears to be closer to what HP and Dell consider professional series machines and the cost comparison very comparable.

I need to keep the cost at about $2500 (less is always better). Considering my original budget was $1500, I’m already way over but willing for something slick and powerful.

Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch
- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 1066MHz frontside bus 3MB shared L2 cache (stock)
- 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM (option)
- 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
- 15.4"viewable LED-backlit glossy widescreen, 1440 by 900 pixels
- Removable lithium-polymer Up to 5 hours of wireless productivity
- 250GB Serial ATA Drive @5400 (stock)
- iWork '09 preinstalled (option)
- iLife 09 (stock)
- Apple Remote (option)
Apple Retail $2217.00

- This model has only 256MB of dedicated video memory. The next model is $300 more but offers an additional 256MB of video memory (512MB total) and an extra 70GB of hard drive storage and a 2.53MHz CPU (a mere 133Mhz more which is simply not noticeable).
The extra storage alone is a $100 option which is a lot for an extra 70GB, not worth it in my opinion. But is the extra video memory worth it?

My home PC is a Quad Core2 at 3500MHz@ with a PCIe ATI X1900 gaming card with 512MB of memory. The 512 was minimum for smooth HiRes 3D game play but I don’t play games much and when I do my WinPC is likely more capable then this laptop.

My plan is to install Vista64 and dual boot. Its usage will be for portability around the house for fun and mild business (email). Since I’m a media publisher I have lots of experience as a graphic artist for print, web and video but I can see me mostly using this for my hobbies (audio, photography and such)

Any suggestion? Things I should know about?

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2009, 06:19 pm by boead »

mcullinan

Re: My first mac – maybe.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:05 pm »
The Pro Series has a better screen so if that is critical, go with that. We have a Macbook, and I am a designer.. The screen is really too small for design/web. Another vote for the pro. But if it is for hobby use, photos, cropping, no serious color work..., emails, surfing, I think the Macbook is perfect. A great all around general machine.But if you think you are really going to be designing, editing pro video, and doing color critical work the pro is for you.
Good Luck
Mike

Rashiki

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:18 pm »

I have the previous model of MacBook Pro, and the only thing I don't like about it is that it tends to run hot. The default fan settings run the fan too slow to keep the CPU cool. There are free utilities to adjust the fan speed, but at the cost of increased fan noise.

-Rob

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:22 pm »
I just picked up a MacBook Pro from Macmall.com a few weeks ago.  If you can do without the new "green" chassis and the button-less touchpad, they have some excellent deals on last-year's models (essentially the same insides)...

mtodde

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:38 pm »
Once you go Mac you never go back, LOL.  I have a late 2007 Macbook and love it.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:50 pm »
I'm a fan of smaller notebooks, something that will fit in a small briefcase or portfolio. As such, 13" models do it for me. My mobile workhorse is a 13" black Macbook (2 GHz C2D and 2GB of RAM) which has plenty of juice to run AutoCAD in Parallels. I also use a small portable external firewire drive from OWC.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:05 pm »
There is a screaming deal right now for the model you mention in question.  It is in the refurbish section...it saves you around $300 from the same model. 

I do not like the older PB with the punched out aluminum case, tends to get dented or bent out of shape without any justification...that would be the one reason why the new unibody PBs are better, stronger.  I have read from forums that Apple does not want to "honor" its warranty if you have a PB with "dents" or "distortions" in the metal body...they assume that you either dropped it or roughed it up, thus their denying any responsibility in fixing something that is not cosmetic. 

My only qualm with the newer MBPs, their glossy screen.  Uck.

chrisby

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
My 25yr old son just purchased one of the entry level MacBooks (white plastic), mostly to help organize several thousand photos from a couple of extended trips to SE Asia and South America.

Using the miniDVI to HDMI adapter, we've run this into both our LG Plasma and my sister's Sony 50" LCD (that's a nice TV), with absolutely stunning resolution. 

He's already downloaded several hundred hours of TV series and theatrical movies he missed while away, and can play them either on the MacBook or the big screen (albeit with noticeable  loss of resolution compared to the HD feed from our cable box).

Add AppleTV and Remote from your iPod touch or iPhone, and I think you've got a pretty good taste of what home computing / entertainment should be. If it wasn't for the current limitations of audio performance in iTunes/Airport, or the trouble I seem to have adjusting to the touchpad, I'd have acquired one of these myself.  Of course,  I could always use a Blue-Tooth mouse. :D 

Crimson - thanks for the note on AutoCad in Parallels.  I assume then that a desktop iMac would have no problems with AC as well.

low.pfile

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:23 pm »
My plan is to install Vista64 and dual boot. Its usage will be for portability around the house for fun and mild business (email). Since I’m a media publisher I have lots of experience as a graphic artist for print, web and video but I can see me mostly using this for my hobbies (audio, photography and such)

I use a mac as my work machine everyday-running mainly illustrator, photoshop and occasionally CAD(ashlar). It's probably 2 models or more back: a 2.33 C2D 15" macbook pro with 256VRAM and 3GB SDRAM. It's very capable. And since you state you are mostly planning to use it for low demand apps with occasional photo editing etc. your choice above will be fine. Extra video power is always nice (If you can swing that cost) as is max SDRAM(but install that yourself, of course).

It drives a 24" LCD when in my office. but use the built in screen often. I would struggle with a 13" screen-I've tried them. 15" allows 2 small windows at the same time. My 15" fits in the bags and backpacks I own-not really a problem. The 13" is nice and compact though.

nothing else to add really. good luck.

ed

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:32 pm »
Once you go Mac you never go back, LOL.  I have a late 2007 Macbook and love it.

Ditto.  Go with the Pro.  I have beaten the hell out of my first one, added more RAM, and it just won't quit.  My son took one to the Sahara desert and Atlas Mountains in the Peace Corps for 2+ years and while it looks trashed it keeps on ticking. 

boead

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:34 pm »
Yeah the 7200rpm drives tend to run hotter too. I was avoiding them as well. I have a large TB NAS box on my network at home too so most large data is easily shuffled.

My aging eyes can’t deal with the 13” screen. If anything I’d prefer the 17 but can make due with the 15.

The regular Macbook steals its video memory from the system. This is never a good solution, really causes bottlenecks and is horrible for any type of gamming. It also doesn’t support two monitors. And when configured like the one above the price is $1917.00! Too much for the 13” version and as someone mentioned, the 15 and 17 inch display is superior, especially for these eyes. Also (I made the correction above) the Pro comes with iLife 09 where as the non-pro cost an additional $80 for it so the final cost is about $2000. For an extra $200 the Pro is a no-brainer for me.

About the memory. How many slots does the Pro have? The extra 2GB of RAM on the 2.4GHz model is $150. I’d need to see exactly what type of  RAM it uses and price out an upgrade from Newegg. But this is a no money out of my pocket thing so it’s kind of like using Monopoly money, well sort of.

low.pfile

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:52 pm »
for the new MBP model....

2 memory slots support up to 4GB

boead

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:55 pm »

??

Apples site says:
Processor up to 2.93GHz
Memory up to 8GB

Still likely 2 slots and I'm sure regardless what you order they fill them both up! F'ers!

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:57 pm »

??

Apples site says:
Processor up to 2.93GHz
Memory up to 8GB

Still likely 2 slots and I'm sure regardless what you order they fill them both up! F'ers!

8GB max is for the 17" from what I see on apple.com

boead

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:58 pm »

8GB max is for the 17" from what I see on apple.com

Yes, I see that now.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTIyMTM

and if you get it with 2GB they give you (2) 1GB sticks. So if you want to upgrade you have to throw them away!

thanks

low.pfile

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »

and if you get it with 2GB they give you (2) 1GB sticks. So if you want to upgrade you have to throw them away!

thanks

that is correct, or use them to stir your coffee.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2009, 07:17 pm »
You want the Macbook Pro - you would probably regret it if you got anything less

The new white Macbook is not bad for a Macbook since it has firewire and can go to 4MB cheaply, but you want big screen, 2 video cards, etc.