XP machine near death, now considering Apple iMac

JohnR

Re: XP machine near death, now considering Apple iMac
« Reply #40 on: 28 May 2014, 12:40 am »
Just to add FYI, I'm using OSX10.8, there have been some reported issues on 10.9 (Mavericks), don't know the current status of all that.

Phil

« Reply #41 on: 28 May 2014, 01:40 am »
When my PC was getting old and acting odd, I decided to try something new but needed something that could work with a virtual PC environment for work.  By loading VMware fusion on my iMac (no boot camp partition needed), both the PC and Mac environments are available.  I'm not an IT stud muffin but am very familiar with the basics and found a little research went a long way. 

Since I like dbpoweramp for ripping, that program resides in the fusion (Windows) window, along with remote access to work and Gnome music player to control my Bryston bdp (I use the Bryston interface too since it is easier for my wife). 

On the Mac side, Microsoft Word and Excel for the Mac work well and are interoperable.  I still use PCs at work and it is interesting how quickly one adapts to both.  I love to hate software, so have complaints about aspects of both the Mac and Windows operating systems and programs, but the Mac shows its origins (software and hardware designed together).  And I fell in love with the iMac look, the keyboard and the mouse.  It is kind of like going from a CTR to a flat screen TV. 

Old dog can learn new tricks.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #42 on: 28 May 2014, 09:02 pm »
to get a Mac version of Microsoft Word, which has been available for the Mac since 1997.

MS Word & Excel were 1st written for the Mac. They didn't come to the PC until something like V3.

Depending on what you are doing with Word (i.e. level of compatibility with Word files), there are a lot better WPs available.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2014, 09:14 pm »
I'm a Mac guy, but i have an Intel MacPro running XT. It is a crude & kludgy OS… 3 clicks or more when one would do.

The biggest pro about using a Mac is the OS, it is a lot more seamless and well thot out than any MS offering. And when comparing hardware you do need to keep in mind that you can't buy a low quality Mac, when looking at prices, only a premium Windows machine will be built as well, which is why the typical usable shelf life of a Mac is longer than a PC.

If you are doing just Web & Word, keep in mind that most of the UI on the web is determined by the guy designing the Web site, and except for Mac related file & OS access Word on the Mac is much the same as Word on the PC (i.e. not great).

dave

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:17 pm »
MS Word & Excel were 1st written for the Mac. They didn't come to the PC until something like V3.

Apparently, for MS-DOS in 1983, Mac OS in 1985, and Windows in 1989. I almost bought Word in 1988.

Doublej

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2014, 07:16 pm »

Depending on what you are doing with Word (i.e. level of compatibility with Word files), there are a lot better WPs available.

dave

What's a better word processor than MS Word and what makes it better? I thought MS Word is the best out there albeit at a steep price.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #46 on: 1 Jun 2014, 08:56 pm »
I thought MS Word is the best out there .

Not at all. It is a big fat awkward pig. MS used their Windows hegemony tomake Word the biggest selling WP,

I use Nisus. There are more than a few others that doabetter job than Word.

dave

ctviggen

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jun 2014, 10:03 pm »
One thing about MS's products is that they seem to be getting harder to use instead of easier to use.  For instance, printing a single page now takes much longer to do that it used to.  Also, I can't stand how they keep changing how they use everything between new versions.  The dictionary is one of these items.  They changed how they use the dictionary between versions, and it takes a while to search and figure out what the differences are. I like to use the same dictionary at home as at work, and if you have the "wrong" versions of Word, this is a pain in the butt to figure out. 

On the other hand, I haven't been employed anywhere that doesn't use MS word.

trackball02

« Reply #48 on: 4 Jun 2014, 04:42 pm »
If  Word processing and internet is all you do get a Chromebox or Chromebook.
I just replaced an old Windows 7 laptop with a HP 14" Chromebook from Costco, and it is fantastic.
Starts right up, no bloat wear, no constant  Windows updates, no need for anti-virus, OS is always updated, super fast and cheap. Just do your word processing using Chrome office.  Also, it has free 4G for life.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2014, 07:17 pm »
XP/7 OS are fine.  (Win8, IMHO, stinks.)  But, you're still going to have to get some descent antiviruse software,  when working with MS OS's.

Try a Mac, converting over isn't hard.  The simplicity of XP/7 are simular to the Maverick OS.  Very easy to learn. In fact almost mind boggling easy. And the support I have experienced in the the Apple community, has been very good. Very good group of people.

saeyedoc

« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2014, 09:18 pm »
Our imac has been going strong for 8 years, without even updating the OS. My Macbook is from late 2008, same deal, had some minor keyboard problems repaired under warranty. No way I could see a PC lasting that long without messing with it. I run LMS off the imac without a hitch.
We use PCs at our office and there is always something going on. Just had to update (meaning buy new ones) dozens because they had Win XP which does not support some requirements for electronic medical records.