Feeding SPDIF through audio playback software on Mac (Puremusic, Amarra, etc.)

brj

Hi all.

The system that I'm ever-so slowly working toward is an active one with crossover duties handled via a line-level crossover, but the EQ needed to dial in the tweeter response (separate from room response needs) would be handed on the Mac via FabFilter Pro-Q or similar.  (I don't know of an active, analog crossover than would let me implement as many notch filters as I need.)  This should work quite well when streaming music off my NAS through the Mac using PureMusic, Amarra, or any of the other music players.

The catch is that my audio system is located in my family room, and it'd be nice to pump the audio from other sources through the main rig as well, including the BD player, the TV, etc..  This means that I need to be able to have the Mac Mini in that chain in order to supply the digital EQ.  All of those sources have optical SPDIF outputs, so it'd be easy enough to have an auto-detecting SPDIF switcher handle the signal juggling and then connect it to the Mac Mini's digital input jack.

What I haven't seen, however, is how the various music playback software packages handle this type of setup - one where they are simply acting as a framework to allow audio processing plugins (Fabfilter) to work on the incoming SPDIF input stream and then pass it back out (of a USB output to a DAC).

Has anyone played with this and had any issues?  Do some of the playback software tools work better than others in this scenario?

Thanks!