interest of amarra for apple tv ?

abongiov

interest of amarra for apple tv ?
« on: 10 Feb 2013, 03:18 pm »
I was just wondering if there was an interest to use something else than iTunes if the goal is to use an apple TV connected to my system. The alac will be store on my iMac.
Probably not the best option but so convenient.
The ATV will be hooked to gungnir DAC, creek evo2 integrade amp and salks song tower rt.

Also  to rip cd into alac, what is better than iTunes but still free ?

Thanks

abongiov

Re: interest of amarra for apple tv ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:44 pm »
Well,

I ended up ripping with XLossLess Decoder or XLD. I know the atv3 is not bit perfect due to the 44.1 to 48 kHz but I did not notice sound degradation and the atv3 hooked up to the Gungnir does a very good job. Not exactly the same as my CDP (Creek Evo 2) but difference is very thin. The CDP has slightly more presence but I think it is more due to the oversampling in that dac vs no oversampling in the Gungnir.
It might not be very high end but the convenience/sound quality ratio is really good and I also can enjoy the benefit of the DAC when watching Netflix or Hulu Plus. Too bad there is no way to get Amazon instant video on the atv3.

So far I am sticking to iTunes but I think I'll try Decibel. Reasonable price and compatible with Airplay directly.

jMelvin

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2013, 11:20 pm »
I believe Audirvana Plus is Airplay compatible as well.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm »
You are correct re Audirvana Plus however you must have Mountain Lion installed to use the Air Play feature. I think it sounds quite nice.