Loreleis have arrived

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:04 pm »
a quick update i was just listening to the Police syncronicity cd and the track tea in the Sahara came on and oh my lord! where did all of that bass come from. it sounds deep. tight and utterly musical..............thanks

peter59

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:31 pm »
Bunky,
I meant to ask you have you played any music with saxes, trumpets, trombones , etc,  through your new loreleis I am a huge fan of both bands Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, if so  how does the instruments sound. I am hoping they will be a big improvement over my MA ref gold 60's. When I play these cd's through my speakers they sound conjested or is  my monos (which I have only had for 3 weeks) still need to blossom to show their true colors. Could be a combination of both.. Your thoughts...

bunky

Re: Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm »
Quote from: peter59
Bunky,
I meant to ask you have you played any music with saxes, trumpets, trombones , etc,  through your new loreleis I am a huge fan of both bands Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, if so  how does the instruments sound. I am hoping they will be a big improvement over my MA ref gold 60's. When I play these cd's through my speakers they sound conjested or is  my monos (which I have only had for 3 weeks) still need to blossom to show their true colors. Could be a combination of both.. Your thoughts...
i am listening to John Coltrane playing tenor saxophone as i type this reply and it sounds very clear and focused through the Loreleis. i have some SteelyDan and Pink Floyd with brass instruments also. i like both groups that you mentioned but i dont own any of thier recordings. the monos should sound pretty good  at three weeks but will take more time to show thier true character. the extreme monos are great. what source are you using  in your system now?i dont know of anyone else using monitor audio speakers with odyssey gear so i dont know how good of a match they would be but i have heard good things about MA so its hard to say.

jcoat007

Re: Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:50 pm »
Bunky,

If it sounds congested, I would think the monos have not broken in yet.  They need a LOT of time.

peter59

loreleis have arrived
« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:00 am »
I am using a modded AH! Njoe Tjoeb  CDP with  amperex tubes and upsampler, I will be  replacing the MA's with the loreleis. Don't get me wrong the MA's sound wonderful with the Odyssey gear. I really wasn't looking to buy any more speakers, but the curiosity and great reviews of the loreleis have got the best of me. I still cannot believe that so music can be so wonderful from a floorstander with only the tweeter and woofer, must have something to do with the crossovers. The interesting thing about the extreme monos is it is making my system sound better by the hour. On  average I have the luxury to listen to music about 5 hrs a day including late evening. Klaus says I am about 30% of breakin. If it sounds this great at only  30% of breakin I cannot begin to imagine what it will sound like at 100%.

bunky

Re: loreleis have arrived
« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2005, 09:42 am »
I am using a modded AH! Njoe Tjoeb  CDP with  amperex tubes and upsampler, I will be  replacing the MA's with the loreleis. Don't get me wrong the MA's sound wonderful with the Odyssey gear. I really wasn't looking to buy any more speakers, but the curiosity and great reviews of the loreleis have got the best of me. I still cannot believe that so music can be so wonderful from a floorstander with only the tweeter and woofer, must have something to do with the crossovers. The interesting thing about the extr ...
when i bought the khartago monos i was told four to six weeks for break in time. six was about right on the money. it took two months plus for the extremes to fully break in and this was playing music 24/7 during the break in period. the Loreleis make a dramatic transformation during break in and i have heard people say four to five hundred hours until they are finished. mine sound better every time i listen to them. i think it is the sum total of parts quality. Scanspeak drivers. extremely high quality crossover components and more importantly the execution of the crossover the sloped configuration of the cabinets and finally most importantly Rolf Gemiens talent for tweaking. just look at all off his other designs they all sound wonderful and were tuned using this mans ears to voice them. i had three 7 " woofers per speaker in my paradigm reference studio 100 v3s and the bass from the Loreleis is much more deep. clear and focused and the Scanspeak tweeter blends seamlesly with the mid woofer. from top to bottom these speakers kick ass!

byteme

« Reply #26 on: 22 Sep 2005, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: bunky
i had three 7 " woofers per speaker in my paradigm reference studio 100 v3s and the bass from the Loreleis is much more deep. clear and focused and the Scanspeak tweeter blends seamlesly with the mid woofer. from top to bottom these speakers kick ass!

Glad to hear you're enjoying them!

BradJudy

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #27 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:01 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing the Loreleis at the RMAF in a week.  I missed them last year because I was only there for a few hours (that show takes at least a full day to check out, two to do a good job of it.

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #28 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:09 pm »
i just received a set of six Audio Selection cones for the Loreleis when i came home from work. they raised the speakers by about 1" and i thought they would be the brass colored ones. i was looking at them on a German website last night and saw a set of six black ones with silver tips and thought man i wish i knew about the black ones before because i would have asked klaus for those instead. i opened the box and low and behold what do i find but black cones with silver tips. how cool is that ? they have an adhesive backing and you just peel off the backing and stick them on with one centered in front and one in each corner at the rear of the speaker bottom. i always have my loudspeakers coupled to my floor with spikes and the Loreleis seemed naked until i got the German cones and now everything seems to be in harmony in my own little universe.  i can feel the impact of the bass much better now. i am listening to Annie Lennox and the bass is sounding oh so good now. it is so easy  for me to fall in love with the Loreleis because they give me pure musical enjoyment and  continue to amaze me every time i listen to them. it just keeps getting better and better every day.how cool is that ?

Sonny

Spikes and All...
« Reply #29 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:15 pm »
You're a lucky Man Bunky...
Kudos to Klaus once again.
So, are you driving them with the Mono Extremes?
Also, can you post some pictures?  
We want to see!!!
Thanks
Sonny

bunky

Re: Spikes and All...
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:55 pm »
Quote from: Sonny
You're a lucky Man Bunky...
Kudos to Klaus once again.
So, are you driving them with the Mono Extremes?
Also, can you post some pictures?  
We want to see!!!
Thanks
Sonny
yes sir i am driving the Lorelies with mono Extremes. i am using the Symphonic Line Vibrato cd player as my source. preamplifier duties are taken care of by the Odyssey tempest or an Anthem pre1L tubed preamp depending on what kind of mood i am in. i also use a Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 tube buffer between the cd player and my preamp. i use Groneberg TS premium ic cables and Groneberg Quattro reference speaker cables. i am thinking of having Klaus build me a set of the TS premium speaker cables as well because byteme swears by them and  he uses a set up similar to mine.i belong to several audio forums and i always have people asking for photographs of my system and to tell you the truth i dont own a digital camera and i am not savy with the computer at all and first and foremost i have been a procrastinator since birth and i will get a digital camera eventually after a long drawnout protracted process. now if a digital camera sounded good i would buy one tomorrow!...........thanks

peter59

loreleis have arrived
« Reply #31 on: 23 Sep 2005, 10:31 pm »
Bunky,

That is just awesome to hear you raving about the sound, I called Klaus the other night to see if anyone has reneged on purchasing any of his loreleis  and he said " no man just be patient yours will be made" the wait of 6 weeks will be tough!! Am I to understand that the speakers do not come standard with cones and I have to order them separately. Please explain..

bunky

« Reply #32 on: 24 Sep 2005, 12:53 am »
Bunky,

That is just awesome to hear you raving about the sound, I called Klaus the other night to see if anyone has reneged on purchasing any of his loreleis  and he said " no man just be patient yours will be made" the wait of 6 weeks will be tough!! Am I to understand that the speakers do not come standard with cones and I have to order them separately. Please explain..
hey man, i have been in your shoes and i know exactly how you feel but it will be well worth the wait. i lucked out because several weeks ago i ordered a pair of Epiphanys and i asked klaus if he had any in red cherry at his shop he did not so i bought a pair in black ash . while he was in his storage area getting the Epiphanys he spotted a pair of  perfect red cherry Lorelei cabinets that were from a demo and when i took delivery of the Epiphonys i called Klaus to tell him they looked alot better in person and he mentioned that he had a pair of red cherry demo Lorelei cabinets in storage and he would be willing to put new Scanspeak drivers and crossovers into the empty cabinets if i wanted to own a pair of Loreleis. lets just say he did not have to ask me twice. this is the best audio purchase i have made in my life bar none. and for the money it is a dream come true. $2.700 for a pair of $7.600 loudspeakers come on do the math! it still took three and a half weeks from the time i talked to klaus till i took delivery of the Loreleis. waiting made me climb the walls too.  i know where you are coming from. i was sitting there feeling sorry for my self while i had a great sounding system sitting right in front of me. this stuff spoils people. you are about to enter an exclusive club of sorts so to speak. the speakers you are getting are handmade top shelf audiophile transducers. your cabinets are being made in Qubec Canada by Alain Courteau and this takes time. in fact Klaus said the cabinets take alot more time than it takes to assemble the Loreleis at his shop in Indy. the crossovers are massive Symphonic Line designs with no expence spared in thier parts selection. and the same Scanspeak drivers that reside in the Loreleis are also in many loudspeakers  costing in excess of $10.000 whats not to like? before you know it you will be hooking up your very own Loreleis with a big smile on your face. check with Klaus but as far as i know the Audio Selection cones come with the Loreleis but they do not ship with them. i am listening to the Beatles Sgt Peppers album and i now know that this is the way the Beatles were meant to be heard.this is very cool stuff........................thanks

djbnh

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #33 on: 24 Sep 2005, 11:10 pm »
Bunky,

Nice to hear about another wholly satisfied Odyssey customer, but with Klaus at the helm, how could it possibly be any other way? Wish I was living back in MD, so I could stop by for a listen to your pair. I'm wondering if there any NH/southern ME-based Lorelei owners out there who wouldn't mind having someone, who already owns a bunch of Odyssey gear, drop by for a listen? (I know of one person who owns them in VT around the Rutland area, but that's more of a hike than I'd like to take to listen to what are seemingly a kick-a@@ pair of speakers.) PM and e-mail are good ways to reach me...

bunky

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2005, 05:40 am »
djbnh, i would swap the Loreleis out with your SDAs for a few weeks but i think the shipping costs could get quickly out of hand. besides that the UPS did a very good job shipping the Loreleis to my door unharmed but i think they are much safer in my livingroom. how is the fall weather in NH ? i am listening to the Michael Hedges live on a double planet cd. as a matter of fact this is the first live recording that i have played through the Loreleis. what is strange though is that it is one of my favorite albums but i have been sifting through 400 plus cd,s rediscovering cd,s that i have not listened to in many moons.to say i am happy with the Loreleis would be a understatement. as i have already said in previous posts i have been spending alot more time listening to my system and enjoying my system much more every day. thanks for posting...........WCW III

Sonny

Lorelei's
« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2005, 05:35 pm »
Hey, Just picked mine up from SW Cargo last night...no time to hook them up.  They are in blacks ash, haven't even taken them out of the box yet...
I will put them next to the Herons' from Meadowlark Audio and give you guys feedback as it goes along.  I will decide which to keep...
Excited...
Hey Bunky...like you, I don't have cones for the Lorelei's yet, Klaus will be sending them later....during the no cone time, how did you place the Lorelei's?
Sonny

bunky

Re: Lorelei's
« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2005, 09:00 pm »
Quote from: Sonny
Hey, Just picked mine up from SW Cargo last night...no time to hook them up.  They are in blacks ash, haven't even taken them out of the box yet...
I will put them next to the Herons' from Meadowlark Audio and give you guys feedback as it goes along.  I will decide which to keep...
Excited...
Hey Bunky...like you, I don't have cones for the Lorelei's yet, Klaus will be sending them later....during the no cone time, how did you place the Lorelei's?
Sonny
hey Sonny, i just tried them where i had previously placed my Paradigm reference studio100 v3s and they worked fine in the same location .i received my Audio Selection cones a few days ago and now with them coupled to the floor i can feel the bass. as a rule i always use spikes and the Loreleis seemed naked without them. Klaus sent me black cones with silver tips and i really like the way they look. when you open those babys up let me know how the black ash looks on the Loreleis.you are the only one i know of that has a pair of Loreleis in that finish. Meadowlark made some very fine loudspeakers and your decision on which one to keep may boil down to personal taste.did you buy new Loreleis or show demos?

Sonny

Decisions...
« Reply #37 on: 26 Sep 2005, 09:14 pm »
Well, WCW III,
These, I believe are a pair of new Loreleis...Klaus, correct me if I am wrong...

I will definitely take some pictures this weekend and send them to you, or post them here, how I don't know...that's the problem.

I loved the Shearwaters and from my experience, I love the Meadowlarks, as I've owed the Shearwaters, Swifts and currently the Original Herons.  The only thing I am afraid of the change / difference between the two speakers is that the Herons have four drivers, two for the woofer/mid and two for mid/tweets.  I am afraid that the Loreleis might not be as big sounding as the Herons on classical pieces, that's what I noticed from the Shearwaters to the Herons.  However, I am looking forward to the synergy and what it brings... Fingers crossed.  Secondly, you had mentioned that the Loreleis should not be toed in, right?  What was your experiece with that?

S

byteme

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #38 on: 26 Sep 2005, 09:21 pm »
I've got mine toed in as you can see from the gallery pics.  I've never tried them not toed in, but would give it a shot.

Sonny

Loreleis have arrived
« Reply #39 on: 26 Sep 2005, 09:27 pm »
Hmmm
So, how long have you had the Loreleis and how do you like them?
Please do the comparison with out the toe-in and we can all discuss what the differences are.
I really like how they look...
What was the main difference from your prior speakers?