What are the best sites for buying and selling used gear?

Wind Chaser

I've got a Nikon lens I'm thinking of selling right here in the North American market. Not interested in shipping overseas. So with that in mind, what, which, where... are best sites?

TIA

Photon46

Re: What are the best sites for buying and selling used gear?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2017, 09:15 pm »
Depends on what you mean by "best." Over the last few years, I sold lots of Nikon 35mm and 4x5 equipment. After looking at the options, the biggest market by far is on Ebay. Nothing I'm aware of comes close to having their numbers of interested buyers. I've decided the best way (for me) to sell is look at the 30 day sales history for items like I have that actually sold and then price my gear accordingly and realistically. Then, use the "make offer" option for selling. That way, you can somewhat vet your buyers. Yes there are endless lowballers looking to get something for nothing but if your gear is priced right and desirable, someone will recognize it's value and give you your asking price - or close too it. Ebay seller fees combined with Paypal fees do take a big bite out of your return, but that's the price you pay. If you don't want to sell overseas on Ebay, just go into your account management tools and select the appropriate options for screening out non USA bidders.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2017, 12:53 am »
for real photogs that will know something about what you're selling:

Fred Miranda!!!

Gene

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2017, 01:37 am »

Fred Miranda!!!

Gene

Thanks, Goosepond!!  Too bad I spent all my money on audio gear. :lol:

MarkR7

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:32 am »
+1!

Fred Miranda!!!

Gene

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:18 am »
Back when I had Pentax gear, I sold it all through the Pentax Forums; a dedicated site to all things Pentax. I guess there isn't anything quite like that for Nikon ...that's not suggest I'm selling all my Nikon stuff.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2017, 05:12 am »
Anyone have opinions about KEH, Adorama, or B&H Photo/Video?

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2017, 10:11 am »
If you sell to one of the "big three" buyers you mentioned, you don't have to worry about dealing with unreliable flakes and con artists but you won't get paid as much as you would selling it to the end user yourself. If you want to maximize return on your used gear, that's not the route to go. If you want to just be rid of your stuff as quickly as possible with no hassle, maybe. I've got a friend with 8x10 Arca Swiss gear that's going to go the Adorama route as he doesn't want to deal with the hassles of selling to individual buyers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm »
I didn't have any hassles selling any of my other gear and I'm pretty good at taking precautions. I can't speak for 3rd party retailers and web stores as I don't have that experience, but I do like to deal with the buyer directly.

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:55 pm »
i sell my camera gear mainly on ebay.  every transaction has been clean except for one. the buyer destroyed my lens and claimed it was received that way and i ate the repair cost as ebay judged in the buyer's favor.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:29 pm »
I prefer Amazon. Get tired of the low-ballers. I look at both amazon and ebay. Some things are better sold on ebay, others on amazon. I was selling an Olympus camera body only and one guy offered $50 because "the camera might not be working." So I said it was fine and lowered it to 59.95 then he said $55 so I counter offered "OK then $57.50! LOL" Didn't hear back which was just as well as I eventually sold it for the $69 that I was asking for.

guf

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:32 pm »
I just used KEH. Seems like an easy option to get rid of a bunch of gear at the same time. I haven't been paid yet, it's only been a week since I sent it in, but if they do I'll be stoked to get what they quoted to me.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:40 pm »
If you want creepy folks with stuff which may be stolen, the chance you may vanish and end up in a landfill for your $250.. buy off Craig's List. If you want to worry about getting burgled and or murderers knowing where you live.. Sell on Craig's List. Then the folks who only bring 80% of the money, telling you they will certainly pay you on Tuesday.. Or even 30% of the money and glare at you menacingly,..

Used to be the best and only place to buy or sell was Audiogon. Good still. It is THE place to buy or sell audio equipment. Particularly big dollar items Want a $10,000 used amp? Or those $30,000 used speakers? Audiogon is the place.

All the rest fall in between.

eBay is great for those $10 to $300 items..
Audiomart, here, Audio Asylum... All fine for $10 to $5,000 items..

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2017, 06:57 pm »
Uh, why not post it here on AC?   What focal length are you selling?   I'm looking for a 14mm 2.8 or a 14-24 zoom.

There is a very active Nikon buying/selling group on Facebook.  I run a closed FB photo group and we have a classified FB page, too.

I've had great luck on Craigslist, buying furniture, cars, cameras, and audio gear.   Just have to use common sense.

viggen

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2017, 07:10 pm »
for used nikon gear, i've had very good luck buying from japanese sellers.  i got some minty kogaku lenses a few years ago.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2017, 07:30 pm »
Uh, why not post it here on AC?

Because I seriously doubt apart from myself, nobody here uses the Nikon 1 system.  :lol:

But this is the lens in question... http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1-Lenses/1-NIKKOR-32mm-f%252F1.2.html

There is a very active Nikon buying/selling group on Facebook.  I run a closed FB photo group and we have a classified FB page, too.

I'm not, nor do I want to get involved with FB.