The great Paul Motian has died at 80

tonyptony

Re: The great Paul Motian has died at 80
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2011, 03:08 pm »
Another great in the halls of music has passed. RIP my friend. Many is the hour I've spent listening to you.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:26 pm »
Paul Motian was a great musician. Notice I didn't qualify that by saying he was a great drummer. He was much more. He always served the song he was playing. Even though he was capable of anything, he only played the notes that mattered. His work had a subtlety and depth of feeling that was rare.

His passing was a real shock to me. He's been playing since long before I first got interested in jazz and his playing stayed fresh until the end. I guess I thought he would live forever.
 :cry:

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:18 pm »
There must be one heck of a Jazz gig going on inside the Pearly Gates right now.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011, 01:13 am by jhm731 »

jjc1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2011, 09:11 pm »
There must be one heck of a Jazz gig going on inside the Pearly Gates right now.
  Yeah, Paul is probably playing right now with Bill and Scott LoFaro. The greatest jazz trio is finally together again.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2011, 09:39 pm »
  Yeah, Paul is probably playing right now with Bill and Scott LoFaro. The greatest jazz trio is finally together again.

yes, I agree...the best BE trio!

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm »

I think it depends whether they play "hot" Jazz or "cool' Jazz!

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2011, 06:37 pm »
I got the chance to see him play with several top notch bass players are the International Bassist Convention at Butler University a few years back. A real treat! Think he started playing with Eddie Gomez or Marc Johnson and later played with the others. He'll be sadly missed.
gary