What LPs have you listened to recently?

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #3060 on: 29 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm »
Illusion ~ Isotope

orthobiz

« Reply #3061 on: 30 Nov 2011, 01:09 am »

Hats off to the PumpkinMan! Took forever but I got around to it. Real music sung by a real woman with real people playing real instruments. No filler, no AutoTune. Refreshing to say the least.

And a highly listenable copy to boot.

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #3062 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:35 am »

Hats off to the PumpkinMan! Took forever but I got around to it. Real music sung by a real woman with real people playing real instruments. No filler, no AutoTune. Refreshing to say the least.

And a highly listenable copy to boot.

Paul
Paul I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I'll keep a look out for a copy of Suicide Sal for you.
Hard as it is to admit I don't have an extra copy of that  :lol:...........Bill

Jlappy

« Reply #3063 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:04 am »
Bside, my, you do have impeccable tastes.  And, you know what they say about great minds?  Same thing.  I think this album rules the genre of the 80's.  It has close competition cause the 80's produced some highly original stuff, particularly from the east, but it gets my nod.  Saw the band for $2.00 at a club in North Dallas on their first US tour.  Loved it.

:rock:  I agree,  I was in love with Chrissie Hynde when I was in high school.  I saw them in concert at the Argon "Brawl" Room in Chicago . . . if my memory serves me we paid more than $2, more like $10 ... Precious  :thumb: Thanks for the trip down memory lane  :wink:   Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #3064 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:51 am »
lots of good music hit the table today, i don't think there was any pattern

The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland 

as I served breakfast to the kids
                                                                          Johnny Winter – Nothin' But The Blues

Joe Zawinul – Concerto Retitled

Joe Walsh – The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

Joe Walsh – "But Seriously, Folks..."

Joni Mitchell – Joni Mitchell (Song to a Seagull)

Wilco – The Whole Love

It's A Beautiful Day – It's A Beautiful Day

It's A Beautiful Day – Marrying Maiden

The Electric Flag – A Long Time Comin'

Gentle Giant – Gentle Giant

Iron Butterfly – Metamorphosis

bside123

« Reply #3065 on: 30 Nov 2011, 02:20 pm »
Bside, my, you do have impeccable tastes.  And, you know what they say about great minds?  Same thing.  I think this album rules the genre of the 80's.  It has close competition cause the 80's produced some highly original stuff, particularly from the east, but it gets my nod.  Saw the band for $2.00 at a club in North Dallas on their first US tour.  Loved it.

Jim & Jlappy,
I also agree with you both on the Pretenders and "great minds." I saw the group on their second tour, as they were promoting their second album, at the outdoor, Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado. Great show, and I paid more than $2.00.

I have generally felt that the '80s had slimmer musical pickings than the several decades before, but there are definitely musical offerings that stood out and shined forth. I also feel that the Pretenders' first couple of albums were exemplary of a certain genre (was just tellin' me ol' lady that while I was spinning the disc), are essential to have in a collection, made a statement, was great music, and because of Chrissie Hind's persona, forwarded women in general, vis a vis "it's a thin line."  8)

PS. BTW, when it comes to great minds, I use "Diffractionbegone" products!  :icon_lol:

bside123

« Reply #3066 on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:33 pm »

Gil Scott Heron "Reflections" 1981 Arista Records LP

Gil Scott Heron "Moving Target" 1982 Arista Records LP

bside123

« Reply #3067 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:05 pm »

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" 1970 Columbia Records, 2X - Gatefold LP

DaveyW

« Reply #3068 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
Bside's spinning of Burn got me to dig out my fav. Mk3 Purps Live album "Live in London" last night  8)

Tonight it's;

It's a closer call between the two than I remember.

bside123

« Reply #3069 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:23 pm »

Bob Marely & The Wailers "Survival" 1979 Island Records LP

The Clash "Combat Rock" 1982 Epic Records LP

orthobiz

« Reply #3070 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:00 pm »
:rock:  I agree,  I was in love with Chrissie Hynde when I was in high school.  I saw them in concert at the Argon "Brawl" Room in Chicago . . . if my memory serves me we paid more than $2, more like $10 ... Precious  :thumb: Thanks for the trip down memory lane  :wink:   Jim

I'm pretty sure I saw the Pretenders back in the day. But I'm not positive. That's pretty bad, isn't it?

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #3071 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm »
Hammersmith

The heavy metal/rock group Hammersmith formed in the early '70s, members coming together from the death of other groups like Painter and Shades of Blond. Hammersmith's lineup included lead singer Dorn Beattie, bassist Royden Morice, guitarist Dan Lowe, drummer Bob Ego, and a confusing mixture of other artists, who might or might not have been official members.

Hammersmith recorded its self-titled debut album in 1974 and released it under the Mercury Records label. Two years later there was a sophomore recording, It's for You. That second album was the last for Hammersmith as in 1977 the band lost its contract with Mercury. The loss proved to be a catastrophic blow for the gathering. After the formal disbanding, most of the members stayed in the music world, simply moving on to other groups.

pumpkinman

« Reply #3072 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:38 am »
Bananarama - The Greatest Hits Collection

Jlappy

« Reply #3073 on: 1 Dec 2011, 07:50 am »
As I pulled down my Pretenders lps for the table these also caught my eye and ended up on the table first... :dunno:

Peter Bardens – Vintage '69   Transatlantic Records, reissue    TRA SAM 36    UK    1976

The Pentangle  – Sweet Child   Reprise Records    2RS 6334    US    1968

The Pentangle  – Basket Of Light   Reprise Records    RS 6372    US    1969

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3074 on: 1 Dec 2011, 10:07 am »
Bananarama - The Greatest Hits Collection

You trippin me out, P'man.

pumpkinman

« Reply #3075 on: 1 Dec 2011, 12:03 pm »
You trippin me out, P'man.

Then by all means trip away JimG

bside123

« Reply #3076 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:08 pm »
The other thread got me remembering... Elvis Costello's debut album:

Elvis Costello "My Aim Is True 1977 Stiff Records (Columbia) LP

bside123

« Reply #3077 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:45 pm »

Ry Cooder "Chicken Skin Music" 1976 Reprise Records LP

bside123

« Reply #3078 on: 1 Dec 2011, 05:26 pm »

Yes "Fragile" 1972 Atlantic Records LP

pumpkinman

« Reply #3079 on: 1 Dec 2011, 09:53 pm »
Dr. John ~ In A Sentimental Mood