replacing plate amp in Deep Hemp Subwoofer

jandrews

replacing plate amp in Deep Hemp Subwoofer
« on: 12 Jan 2023, 03:35 pm »
Hello
Has anyone replaced the amp that came in their Deep Hemp Sub?
I have two , both with the earlier Class AB "SPA250" plate amp.  Both hum and one of them hums really badly ...rendering it almost unusable.  It's not a ground loop and devices intended to block low-level DC voltage on the power cable have no impact on the hum.
I'd like to replace the plate amp with an aftermarket one...probably class D.
Parts Express has quite a few options at decent prices.   I guess I'd be looking for something in the 250-300 watt range.
One issue is the cutout specs for the various plate amps are different so I'd have to fabricate a flange or new plate but that's not too difficult.
Has anyone does this and any options on various plate amps? 
Conversely , has anyone successfully fixed their SPA250 plate amp on their Omega sub?  I know the humming and intermittent popping are (or at least were) well known problems with this plate amp.
thanks

syzygy

Re: replacing plate amp in Deep Hemp Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2023, 09:59 pm »
Have you checked with Omega regarding a replacement?

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2023, 12:12 am »
I did touch base with Louis last year about it
There wasn't much he was willing to do regarding the amps... they are well out of their warranty period.  He did say that if I fashioned a plate to cover the larger hole in the existing box, then there was no problem in installing a different sized plate amp.
He also offered to build me 2 new subs using the existing drivers in my current subs, but that just seems wasteful.  I have the cabinets already. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2023, 01:13 am »
What about a class D stereo amp, like a Crown XLS with adjustable x-o, and use the speaker level inputs wired straight to the drivers bypassing the internal amp?

thehighend

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2023, 12:23 am »
Did you replace already?  Why not replace with identical SPA250 model since it is still available?

jandrews

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2023, 01:02 am »
Hello and thanks

No I haven't replaced already.
I have taken 1 of my 2 Deep Hemp subs out of the system since it hums so loudly.
The other hums but it is mostly masked by the loudspeakers.
Yes, you're right the SPA250 is still produced, and it would be a straight swap.  Easy install...and not too expensive. ($189 from Parts Express but currently backordered)
But I think they are prone to failing ...unless the quality has improved on them in the last few years.

I'd like to try the Yung SD300 which is a 300W Class-D unit that Louis is now using on his subs, however the cutout dimensions for the cabinet at 9-1/4" x 6-5/8" wheres the original is 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" which would require some creative installation.
https://www.parts-express.com/Yung-SD300-6-300W-Class-D-Subwoofer-Amp-Module-w-6dB30Hz-301-510?quantity=1

jandrews

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2023, 04:02 pm »
in case anyone is interested I just got a notice that these plate amps are back in stock at Parts Express
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA250-250-Watt-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-803?quantity=1

Still a bit gunshy to purchase a new one, even at that price, since my current units hum so bad.
They are pretty old though....so maybe the new one has been improved